Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:18 PM

10 posts, read 24,365 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ; we live in the Miami (me my wife & 2 boys 2 and 4) area want to move out within 1 to 1.5 years ;We never actually traveled up north in FL , since we moved here from abroad and we would like to find a city that has a clean family athmospehere with good schools , but at the same time nearby a city with strong business atmosphere because i work selling/leasing commercial real estate and my wife is a children's daycare teacher (and soon to be a licensed daycare director and be able to open her own place) we are considering Orlando but i heard is getting overcrowded and crazy like Miami ;We are hispanic ,fully bilingual and college educated , so diversity and tolerance are factors to consider , Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 12:32 AM

30 posts, read 429,779 times
you could try tampa or st petersburg.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:33 AM

75 posts, read 335,434 times
Hi leroman, unfortuantely, Tampa is only 10 years behind Miami, as well as Orlando. I grew up in Miami and can see the same bad stuff creeping in. Moving to one of those cities will most likely bring about the same feelings you have now. However, if you are interested in an environment with a large diversified population, you may have to stick to a crazy Central or Southern city. If wanting to speak to everyone in Spanish is not important, you might want to try Jacksonville, Tallahassee or Pensacola. All are cities with decent sized metropolitan areas and have friendlier people than the rest of the state.

Perhaps you can broaden your range a bit? There are lots of nice places in Georgia and North Carolina. It gets a bit colder, but the people are more friendly I think.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:03 PM

10 posts, read 24,365 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the suggestions

You are correct ; i have been doing a lot of research and Tampa and Orlando are pretty much there right now , honestly speaking spanish is not big deal for us , since we are fully bilingual and are raising our kids the same way ;but i don't want to move to a place where people actually treat you bad or worst ,my kids get bullied at school for looking hispanic as happened to someone i know right here in FL;but anyway , we talk to some friends who moved to Austin TX, some time ago and they are very happy and i have been researching it and it looks very nice and we are considering go visit our friends in January 2007; Unfortunately i cannot live in cold weather because i bleed through my nose badly ,it's a condition that affects a lot of people who grew up in hot weather (like Puerto Rico where i came from) any suggestions ? Thanks a million for your input !

Old 10-21-2006, 08:16 PM

17 posts, read 137,104 times
Check out the communities surounding Athens, GA. The University of GA is located in Athens. The area is diverse and is tolerant towards different ethnic groups.

I have recently retired from the university and elected to remain in the are. For your information, I am a protestant married to an hispanic , bilingual and college educated catholic.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:13 PM

36 posts, read 218,484 times
Leroman - I've lived in Orlando most of my life and visit Miami often. Will all the growth in Orlando is still a FAR from turning into South Florida. Trust me! Miami is crazy (but fun :-) Look into Seminole County for better schools. People are much nicer up here than your area. I was talking to one of my customers today how I hated stopping in the Ft. Lauderdale area because everyone was SO rude. Commercial real estate is busy and steady here in Orlando so you should be OK. I had a hard time trying to lease a place for my business last year because the demand is so high. Tampa has more commercial RE inventory.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,800,691 times
Congratulations for deciding to move from Miami. Why not just leave the state entirely? Florida has a lot of nice places left, but most of them have no money. Any place you live in FLorida which is a big city with real estate opportunities will be another Miami eventually. As for fun, Miami is boring. Nothing happens at night west of US1. In the whole state I have found Miami to be the worst city, followed by any in Broward, and Palm Beach county. The more it costs to live somewhere the meaner the people are. Cram anyone into condos or zero-lot homes and they go crazy. Especially in the heat of Florida.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 15,793 times
I just moved from Miami to Orlando a little over a month ago. We Love it!!!! It is so much nicer than Miami. My husband and I wanted a better education for our children. We got it. The schools here are awesome!

I am in the Lake Nona/Moss park area. It is south Orange County. Just off Narcoossee Road. Between the 417 and the 528. 20 minutes for the theme parks, but away from all the traffic. The people here are so nice. There are so any community events for the whole family. There is a nice mix of people from different places. White, Hispanic, Black, Asian, etc. They have a wonderful YMCA here as well.

When I went back to Miami during this last month, I looked around and thought to myself, I lived here! When you are there living in all the craziness of Miami you tend not to look outside the box. Life becomes normal to you. When you finally look else where you finally see that there is more to life.

I recommend that you take a trip up here and look around and see what area really suits your needs.

The job growth is also very large. We moved without my husband having a job (IT FIELD) and he found a job within two weeks and started his third week here. Pay was much better than Miami too!!

Last edited by Charly77; 10-26-2006 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 10-31-2006, 02:09 PM

90 posts, read 353,611 times
Anywhere Is Better Than That Toilet Called Miami.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:09 PM

91 posts, read 152,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroman View Post
Unfortunately i cannot live in cold weather because i bleed through my nose badly ,it's a condition that affects a lot of people who grew up in hot weather (like Puerto Rico where i came from) any suggestions ? Thanks a million for your input !
perhaps you might as well move to hawaii, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami