Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 178,086 times

Advertisements

Hello my family and I are planning on moving to the Miami area within the next year after we are done with our college degrees. I was wondering where is the best area to live for a family? I have a 3 year old daughter and she is the only child I have right now but will be having more in the future. We plan on renting first and then if we like living down in Miami then buying a house is the next option. I just want a nice area to raise a family and is not super expensive. I currently live in Sagianw, Michigan so I am used to crime and lots of ghetto. Trying to get away from that.

THanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 PM

227 posts, read 438,169 times
Hi, there a couple of good neighborhoods to raise a family here in Miami, here's a few:

Coral Gables: very nice and old-spanish-looking house. Very walkable and safe. Nice shop, restaurants and supermarkets around. Could be expensive.

Miami Shores: typical middle-class american suburb. Nice schools. Very walkable and green too. Generally safe but it surrounded by not-so-good neighborhoods (west-side). Try east side first.

Coconut Grove: perfect for young couples with small childrens. Very cultural (a lot of museums and galleries around). Awesome location (everything you could imagine it's near CG). Very walkable too and near Downtown. Could be expensive and houses are smaller than the previous two.

I think Coconut Grove fits more for you. Have a nice day.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM

984 posts, read 4,319,176 times
Generally, thinking of nice safe family friendly suburbs for reasonable prices (South Florida-wise); there's the Morningside area, The Roads, Miami Springs, Miami Shores..southern suburbs: East Kendall, Whispering Pines (of Cutler Bay), (most parts of) Lakes by the Bay and there's also Country Walk farther west. North Dade: Biscayne Park, North Palm Springs, and Miami Lakes for slightly more.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 AM

140 posts, read 434,745 times
Budget?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenfennmore View Post
Hello my family and I are planning on moving to the Miami area within the next year after we are done with our college degrees. I was wondering where is the best area to live for a family? I have a 3 year old daughter and she is the only child I have right now but will be having more in the future. We plan on renting first and then if we like living down in Miami then buying a house is the next option. I just want a nice area to raise a family and is not super expensive. I currently live in Sagianw, Michigan so I am used to crime and lots of ghetto. Trying to get away from that.

THanks!
When you say Miami, do you mean the city of Miami or the whole South Florida area?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 AM

For budget I will have an associates degree in accounting when we move down there but will be in the process of getting my bachelors (online classes). My husband will have a bachelors in electrical engineering and might expand that too a masters not sure yet. So I'm not sure for salary wise he would be getting just starting off hoping for him around $40,000-$50,000 and for me $25,000-$30,000 (until I receive my bachelors). Obviously our salaries will grow that is why we would like to rent first. Yes I am looking for something close to miami nothing farther than around 20-30 minutes away.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 AM

Also some good clean apartment complexes within coral gables, coconut grove, and miami shores. Price range maximum $1050

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM

984 posts, read 4,319,176 times
That's a tough budget. Even for a regularly sized 1bd/1ba apt. it's not gonna be easy in Miami-Dade. Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are completely out (avg. $1,150-1,250+ for a basic 1bd/1ba in a low-rise/avg. $1,500-2,500+ for a 2bd/2ba - depending on location and bldg.). Miami Shores too (nearly no options in that price range).

Maybe Biscayne Shores (little area just to the northeast of Miami Shores in the US-1 Corridor before North Miami). Possibly Doral, in an apt. complex. Kendall too (mainly West Kendall in this case).

If you extend a little the commute to up to 40-45 approx. mins. each way, then things will be significantly easier (then you could consider most of SW Broward - West Pines and West Miramar, which probably have some reasonable nice options within/near that price range)

Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenfennmore View Post
For budget I will have an associates degree in accounting when we move down there but will be in the process of getting my bachelors (online classes). My husband will have a bachelors in electrical engineering and might expand that too a masters not sure yet. So I'm not sure for salary wise he would be getting just starting off hoping for him around $40,000-$50,000 and for me $25,000-$30,000 (until I receive my bachelors). Obviously our salaries will grow that is why we would like to rent first. Yes I am looking for something close to miami nothing farther than around 20-30 minutes away.
I want to start by saying i know i sound like a total douche (to save any bashers the trouble to point it out).

First,I think we just needed know how much you want to pay in rent not your educational aspirations and if you are telling me you are moving down here without a job, I would hold off then.

Miami is an expensive city not NEW YORK expensive but pretty much LA expensive based on your budget I assume you are looking for an apartment because a house is out of the question unless your looking at Homestead, Hialeah and other undesirable neighborhoods.

if you wanted to live in a nice apartment that is modern and new in a good area the reality is 1700-2200 for a 1 bedroom (Downtown/Brickell/Coral Gables around ponce and miracle mile only/SOBE south of 5th etc), if you wanted to live in a pretty good area in a nice apartment 1300-1700 for a 1 bedroom this are scattered throughout the city in different areas Edgewater, Dadeland, Doral if you want to live in an area that you will never impress your friends but you can still walk at night its 800-1300 for a 1 bedroom look at Kendall, Fountainbleu, anything under $800.00 don't bother coming to this city.

This is the hard truth people.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
That's a tough budget. Even for a regularly sized 1bd/1ba apt. it's not gonna be easy in Miami-Dade. Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are completely out (avg. $1,150-1,250+ for a basic 1bd/1ba in a low-rise/avg. $1,500-2,500+ for a 2bd/2ba - depending on location and bldg.). Miami Shores too (nearly no options in that price range).

Maybe Biscayne Shores (little area just to the northeast of Miami Shores in the US-1 Corridor before North Miami). Possibly Doral, in an apt. complex. Kendall too (mainly West Kendall in this case).

If you extend a little the commute to up to 40-45 approx. mins. each way, then things will be significantly easier (then you could consider most of SW Broward - West Pines and West Miramar, which probably have some reasonable nice options within/near that price range)
I would not give them the hope of west pines or west miramar if we are talking west of I75 few apartments more homes and townhouses and min is 1700.00 from what i have seen. there are some apartments that are about 1350 to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami