Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 178,073 times

Advertisements

I'm used to ghetto and crime ridden areas of cities. I work in downtown Saginaw, MI and the crime rate there is crazy not even two blocks away from where I work a lady was killed inside her home and just about every night blocks away from where I work there are shootings all the time. Now Saginaw has its better side of town which is the township but that has its crimes on a daily too just not as bad. I live in a smaller town about 15 minutes away from Saginaw so the area I live in I feel very comfortable. So as comparing cities in Miami I would like to live in one like the one I currently live in. The reason for move is one I hate Michigan weather and two more opportunity. I like big cities and feel that since my daughter is mixed with black and white and my husband being Brazilian and Arabic mixed a more cultural diversity will be better for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Besides what Saintlaz1 said well in the last post (I do agree with what was said regarding the three complexes; they're no good at all, avoid them).

Homestead-wise, the only proper/safe areas are basically the area south of Campbell Dr and east of the Tpke. (Keys Gate and surrounding area), plus the NW end (way west of US-1) on the border with the Redlands.

For about $1.2k, you really should check for things in West Kendall/Kendall, I do know there are some apt. complexes within that budget that are okay (and safe, and infinitely better than the last three complexes given). Check the reviews of them in ApartmentRatings, ApartmentReviews, and Google too. Always check if the complex is okay/properly managed and if it has any major issues (on the web, prospective neighbors, etc.).

Again, there's Doral (not sure if there's much within price range though, but check). The other places I can think of that are cheap and mostly okay (and safe) to live (FYI better than Leisure City/(Central) Homestead or Naranja) are the Country Club area (just north of Miami Lakes), Cutler Bay and the Deerwood/Zoo Area (near Coral Reef Dr just west of the Tpke.)

Old 12-07-2014, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,162 times
I live in Hmstd and will be the first to say. The rent is cheap even for Homes. You can find a decent house with a yard for the kids for $1200. Learning center's I highly suggest Countryside. It has a great reputation. Down fall of living in Hmstd is that if you want to work in Miami, traffic is beyond horrible & the commute will drain you.
There are plenty of great elementary schools, as far as Middle & high school you are better off with private or charter schools.
the living area by the Hmstd Hospital is a good ares. Look around the areas as well by the redlands. Avocado Dr area.
There is not that much to do down here & most ppl are rude. But there are plenty of great places to live. stay away from most of the apartments, they arent that great.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 PM

471 posts, read 621,383 times
Miami is very safe overall.

Miami Lakes is a good area to raise a family.

Coral Gables is overpriced.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:41 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
I would go Miami Lakes. Lots of young families here

Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 AM

39 posts, read 43,475 times
Ehh....this thread is a year old, the OP might have already moved here lol

Old 12-10-2014, 08:21 AM

366 posts, read 517,274 times
i wouldnt live anywhere in miami unless it was a gated community or miami beach. mid n south beach. coral cables etc is nice but they have a huge break and enter crime spree going on. head north to broward areas such as weston

Old 12-10-2014, 10:06 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekichi View Post
Ehh....this thread is a year old, the OP might have already moved here lol
A year-and-a half to be exact, so a great possibility of having moved.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:27 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
I wonder if the OP fulfilled her dream?

Maybe the OP and her husband sang this tune on the way:

"Kathy," I said, as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
"Michigan seems like a dream to me now
It took me four days to hitch-hike from Saginaw
I've come to look for America"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W773ZPJhcVw

Or this one (clear reference to Miami in classic movie "Midnight Cowboy"):
"I'm going where the sun keeps shining
Through the pouring rain
Going where the weather suits my clothes

Banking off of the northeast winds
Sailing on a summer breeze
And skipping over the ocean like a stone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AzEY6ZqkuE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami