Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:18 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times

Advertisements

lulu, as far as undesirables leaving for cheaper places, I don't know about that even though it would be nice. What happens is what is happening now. Many of the uneducated hispanics who live in the area because it is very convenient to stay here, not have to learn english to get a job don't move. They just find roommates to split the rent. Many of them figure that it is better to find people to split the cost of rent and utilities and stay here, work here, do not have to learn the language, and go to the stores, malls, and other places and have people that can cater to them in spanish. As oppose to move, be forced to learn the english language, or at least be proficient in english, not worry about language barriers, and in some cases have to deal with an orderly and civilized standard of living.

It is amazing, but even low income earners will stay here because in many aspects it is still to convinient to move from south Florida.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
The trick to the traffic...work at "off" hours!!! Works for me!!! I love Miami! Maybe it's because I'm not out & about all that much? Weather's great, diversity's great, skyline's great, choices are great - who are all these people that don't like Miami?! Where do ya'll live? I mean, I wouldn't want to live in Liberty City or OT but regular areas of North Miami & North Miami Beach are fine! That be where us middle class folk at!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:25 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Regarding people who speak Spanish not wanting to learn English...

I live in Los Angeles and I used to see this as a "huge" problem. People used to be seeking bilingual employees and I only spoke English.

Now people are seeking tri-lingual (Spanish/English/Mandarin) or any other form of tri-lingual and it's even a bigger problem! As Americans, we are so undereducated when it comes to different languages and we don't seem to want to learn anything other than English. I would love to work in the import/export field but I only have English and a smattering of high school French. I know a bit of street Spanish but not much else. Spanish appears to be easy to learn so I would like to take classes in Cantonese or Mandarin or even Japanese or Korean. (Around here, all are offered at adult school and at community colleges.)

Anyway, I'm afraid the language thing is here to stay and that Americans are behind on the learning curve. In other countries, it is common to know two or more languages yet we were never raised that way.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:54 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times
This is true...some people won't move because it's easier for them due to the language ease to find jobs & will endure any hardships.I've noticed that even in hispanic markets or stores, some don't even speak a word of English.
Even w/citzenship applications down here they are out now in 3 languages already - English, Spanish & Creole. Definitely, that in other countries it's common to know a few languages and see the States with 1 language as odd as some speak 4 or more languages.
Just a little thing on Spanish that might sound intimidating, it's not that hard (I'm not forcing it on anyone, but just for curiousity purposes). The language is richer yes, but not harder. One reads or spells exactly the way it's written. With English there are letters that sound like another letter or they have silent letters which is confusing to hispanics trying to learn and they come off with heavy accents as they are pronouncing it the same as they read it - example the word "the" we pronounce "tha", but they pronounce it "thee" - because there is literally an 'e' at the end so they pronounce the letter "e". Also, sentences seem to rattle on in one wave and sound like they might be longer words, but I think it's the way it the way it comes off/sounds - unbelievably, lots of words can even be shorter or even the same - "hello" - hola, "Beautiful" - lindo, "house" - casa, "goodbye" - adios...etc, etc. I even had a friend that said why do they look like they are arguing all the time?? I just told her that it's just a different way of communicating...as they speak it's like an art form that involves their whole bodies including the face & hands like Italianos & they might be saying, that they love each other or discussing any happy event. On the other hand, they don't understand other cultures that speak without their bodies in action - they seem to them cold as fish, and emotionless...but are they really?? Of course not. It's all perception as we view things... but when it comes to the 'nitty-gritty' we are basically all the same.
Anyhow, what worries me with the philosophy of jacking up real estate prices down here is that it does push out honest & hardworking decent local residents - even the elderly who have been here all their lives have to pack up and move which seems a bit cruel at this stage of the game.

Last edited by lulu; 10-10-2006 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-10-2006, 03:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Very interesting postings. In some overseas countries students are learning a least one secondary language with the idea that in the future a 2nd language will diversify the individuals and allow for a brighter future. Most of these individuals want to come to the USA for a chance to the "American Dream". I don’t believe that the Spanish culture will ever leave Miami, but must make it work and fit in the system.

The question is, what do we do to make it work?

Old 10-10-2006, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,611 times
ana m

those are the exact reasons i packed my bags and skipped broward, palm beach and landed in north carolina. i am loving life again ! Miami has no immediate fix or
in the near future. my wife and i had it with the traffic, the over population, the cost of living there and the look on people's faces. it seems as if everyone is angry and you can tell in the way they drive. i loved miami for many years, i grew up in miami. it was a great place in the 70's and 80's.
those were the last good years. to me the price of miami is not worth it anymore. the only good thing left was the beaches and that is not even an option anymore. i would find myself having to get up at 8am on sunday to find a parking space, not fun anymore just aggravation. you are not alone on your observation of miami's deterioration. get out while you can, it is only getting worse.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:04 PM

44 posts, read 168,522 times
Arrow Everyone:

This is my opinion:

As I read some postings, I can't believe that people actually think that the rise of insurance, taxes and everything else is flushing out the undesriables.
Undesirables should not be classified as undesirables just because of wealth.
I can say that not only the middle class community is leaving Miami, but also the upper class is leaving as well. It's is not a question of affordability anymore, it is also a question of quality of life. There is no quality of life here. And for those of us which have children involved we think about how grim their future will be here. It's true what Pako says about everyone looking upset all the time. I see it everywhere, at my kids school, at the grocery store, at the gas station, at the bank, at the stores, it's everywhere. I don't want my children growing up in a rude and dog eat dog environment. I don't want them to have to deal with that on a daily basis. What, the climate is great? So what I'd rather deal with the weather than deal with the pack of wolves here.
Not all the undesirables are being flushed out, as a matter of fact you may have one of them one day living next to you renting a house with 10 other people and 8 cars parked all over the place if you don't have one already.
(5 of the cars being all crashed up because there is no money or insurance to fix it).
There is not one single person doing anything about this, everyone is out looking for themselves, dog eat dog, getting a sidekick and laughing their way to the bank. And the beat goes on..... (Oh, but those are the desirables). I'm sorry but there is something wrong with this picture and as far as I could see many people feel the same way. We have lost our dreams here there are only nightmares left.

I know there may be people who may not feel the same way, and I respect your opinion, but this is my opinion.

Ana

Old 10-10-2006, 09:40 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana m View Post
This is my opinion:

It's is not a question of affordability anymore, it is also a question of quality of life. There is no quality of life here.
There is not one single person doing anything about this, everyone is out looking for themselves, dog eat dog, getting a sidekick and laughing their way to the bank. And the beat goes on..... (Oh, but those are the desirables). I'm sorry but there is something wrong with this picture and as far as I could see many people feel the same way. We have lost our dreams here there are only nightmares left.

I know there may be people who may not feel the same way, and I respect your opinion, but this is my opinion.

Ana
Ana,

I agree with your opinion, quality of life is gone, security/safety gone, and no one cares.

All,

Don't be surprise to see your towns/cities with the same nightmares as this problem moves northbound.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Strange how we have such a different outlook! Again I ask - what part of Miami are you all living in?! Maybe working in hospitality is different, but we're always smiling! My neighbors are too! I don't get it! Maybe the people who are not happy are immigrants? Or people who rent & live near those immigrants that have 10 in an apt? I HAVE noticed that some immigrants who have to work so hard to get by don't seem happy. But MANY do! They're happy to have a chance. To those that aren't, why are you here?! It's not like we force people to move here! I don't shop much, but any time I AM in a store, everyone seems normally upbeat to me!
What parts of the city are not like this? Downtown? Because I don't see this...

Old 10-11-2006, 06:05 AM

243 posts, read 1,097,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Strange how we have such a different outlook! Again I ask - what part of Miami are you all living in?! Maybe working in hospitality is different, but we're always smiling! My neighbors are too! I don't get it! Maybe the people who are not happy are immigrants? Or people who rent & live near those immigrants that have 10 in an apt? I HAVE noticed that some immigrants who have to work so hard to get by don't seem happy. But MANY do! They're happy to have a chance. To those that aren't, why are you here?! It's not like we force people to move here! I don't shop much, but any time I AM in a store, everyone seems normally upbeat to me!
What parts of the city are not like this? Downtown? Because I don't see this...

Neither do I. Life on the beach here ain't bad at all. NONE of my friends, relatives or neighbors I know are currently considering moving. When folks here do move, it's nearly always to the Treasure Coast or SW Florida. Yes Miami has traffic, illegals, crowds, + crime--so does every other metro area in America with over 5 million people. Different perspective when you live on and enjoy the beach + the water. Frankly, South Florida is a warm, sunny, turquoise watered,palm-treed paradise, and the other areas mentioned in this thread simply aren't. Yes they're cheaper but you get what you pay for. The beach areas here have definitely improved in the last 5 years. I'm happy and (gasp!) not looking to move.

As far as steps to improve Miami, enact English-Only ordinances for conducting business and on the Federal level make English proficiency a requirement for Citizenship. As for the economy here, focus more on attracting Fortune 500 companies and R+D jobs instead of taking the easy way out with focusing on hotel+retail jobs. We need leaders here that aren't content with aiming for the same old minimum wage service jobs. The loss of English as a primary language and the lack of quality jobs are Miami's 2 biggest problems versus other big cities. Miami ain't as bad as its rep, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami