Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana m View Post
It's impossible to fix Miami. Why? because nobody cares (well almost nobody). Nobody cares how many cars are parked overcrowding residential areas. Everyone here is out for themselves. This is not a community anymore, it's more like a jungle with alot of hungry dogs. There are 5-8 if not more living in a one bedroom apartment, yes a one (1) bedroom apartment. Why? well because taxes are high, insurance is high and an appartment which should be for 1-2 people, is not affordable to 1-2 people. Landlords are stuck, stuck renting to whoever and whatever amount of people. Don't ge me wrong, there are still some landlords with some guidelines and restrictions, but the majority of them usually have the building owned outright.

What happened to the 7 million in overpaid taxes to the fire dept?
What happened to the scandal with the 4 thousand cell phones the miami water dept had in service?
Policemen are underpaid, School teachers underpaid overworked and overcrowded, There is no way these great people can afford living here anymore. Hospitals filled with unisured people.

Illegals???? That's another can of worms!!!!

Just too many negatives.
I must say that if the resolve of the many is to correct our society problems, YES we can fix any problem. Do people care? Probably they gave up before they start to fight back and get/keep what ever they work for so hard. The Miami problem is the same in NYC, Atlanta, San Antonio, and Seattle to mention a few.

Our perseverance and desire to survive should be the main goal for all of the individuals faced with the Miami problems. If we work together as a group, using our city, county, and state resources we can achieve a positive outcome (we pay their wages). Members of the community must use the resources and crystallized goals and get the means to achieve what ever they want.

If our community services are tinted, take action to voice your concerns and use the specialized groups that will charge in your behalf and force the institutional agencies to take action or be forced to leave office.

Illegals are a problem that needs attention within the state and nation. But if the proper agencies do their work, they can reduce and take control. I know, easier said than done, but we got to start today to get a solution tomorrow.

Lastly, we can afford to keep moving north. The folks that started in Miami now reside in Gainesville, soon they will be out of the state, and this is not an option.
Note: This is not a political/racial comment, just my view.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:45 AM

421 posts, read 469,146 times
Miami is like Jersey now...

Old 10-08-2006, 06:18 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Reality got to hit us in the forehead and we must change our community. Where do we go in 2 years? I read a lot of fluff, lets discuss ideas to better our community.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:53 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
My father, who is in his late 80s, constantly talks about how Miami restaurants are open all night. When I check it out, most of them close before 11 p.m. He's always talking about how the newest/greatest/latest thing is in Florida (he subscribes to "Florida Trend" which I keep telling him is a promotional vehicle). He talks about the $200,000,000 houses that are selling in South Florida, how everyone earns at least $90,000 a year (he reads it in the magazine), how all the latest/greatest things are coming from Florida....

Is any of this true? All I see is that Florida produce is exceptionally expensive (for a state that grows a lot of it) and that it really is behind the times as far as innovation goes...

Old 10-09-2006, 10:31 AM

421 posts, read 469,146 times
The unfortunate thing is that to correct the problem, prices of everything, especially housing, has to rise to flush out the undesirables...

Old 10-09-2006, 11:36 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
My father, who is in his late 80s, constantly talks about how Miami restaurants are open all night. When I check it out, most of them close before 11 p.m. He's always talking about how the newest/greatest/latest thing is in Florida (he subscribes to "Florida Trend" which I keep telling him is a promotional vehicle). He talks about the $200,000,000 houses that are selling in South Florida, how everyone earns at least $90,000 a year (he reads it in the magazine), how all the latest/greatest things are coming from Florida....

Is any of this true? All I see is that Florida produce is exceptionally expensive (for a state that grows a lot of it) and that it really is behind the times as far as innovation goes...

There is a $125,000,000 house being sold by Trump himself! Everyone makes $90,000 if they have a doctorate and/or tons of experience in the job, such as head manager. Everyone else makes a third that!

Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 AM

44 posts, read 168,522 times
Question Ub50:

UB50:

No, it's not true that almost everyone earns $90,000.00/p year, especially not here in S. Florida. I know there are some people that may earn that or more but not the majority that's for sure.
Look up 33133 (Coconut Grove) Middle & Upper class neighborhood
33129 (Brickell & Roads area) Middle class neighborhood
33146 (Coral Galbes, Fl) Middle and Upper class neighborhood
33135 (Miami, Florida) Mixed Lower and Lower Middle class
33145 (Miami) Mixed Lower & Middle class
33166 (Miami) Middle Class

With the above zip codes you can find out what the wages are in the Miami/Brickell/Coral Gables area.
I don't know who is writing these articles, but I can tell you that I know many people around 35-45 years of age who are professionals, such as attorneys, doctors, orthopedic, dentist, optometrist and unfortunatelly most of them are not getting anywhere here. Most of these people have only been in feild 5-6 years but the cost of living in S. Florida has drastically increased in the last few years. Something like the Florida Keys. Extremely expensive homeowners insurance. Just to give you an idea, if your house is located E. of I-95 in Miami, you have to have hazard and wind insurance separate, and it can run in the thousands and thousands of dollars.
Regarding restaurants, they are not open all night, Maybe some places in S. Beach are open later but not all night.

Hope this information helps you clarify any doubts.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:57 AM

45 posts, read 61,360 times
I had lived in the Gables and left for college, had a house there and hate going back. One word explains it all...SATURATED. It applies to all the negative things you can say about miami.
traffic-too many people SATURATED
employment-rat race-SATURATED
housing and taxes-rising rates slowing market-SATURATED
insurance-too many scams-SATURATED WITH CROOKS

In all I would never recommend Miami, as an Investor and Realtor I would recommend Raleigh, NC and Atlanta, GA

Old 10-09-2006, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 31,666 times
Miami drove me nuts with the traffic and when I got laid from my job in downtown back in 2003, I moved to Orlando.

I'm not crazy about living here but it's a start.

Now I visit my family on occasion and the traffic is outrageous in Miami. Unless you live next door to your job (or at your job) you're gonna deal with much traffic.

Although my heart will always be with Miami, I certainly will miss it from a distance. Honestly I just couldn't afford to live there anymore.

I had a nice small studio in Coral Gables right on Ponce de Leon between 8th street and Miracle Mile. Back when I moved in there it was 2001. My rent was $500. The location, neighborhood, and price was sweet. The gym was nearby, heck so was everything else.

The landlord jacked everyone's rent up to $600 suddenly in 2003 so I moved across the street for $580 and that one had a bedroom! (timing is everything)

Now rentals here in Orlando are crazy so I'm staying put with a roommate and going back to school.

Hey maybe I'll try Hickville, South Dakota next. I'll probably be the only Cuban there. )

Old 10-09-2006, 02:15 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times
You know...my friend further up North told me the same exact thing...he said, "why move & leave your hometown now when all the undersirables would have probably left looking for cheaper places? If I were you I'd stay, cause paradise might be coming back soon, look at overall crime it's dropping already." I don't know, I hadn't thought about any of this. Anyhow, I need more space & of course have all sorts of insurance options, that I definitely don't have now. Decisions, decisions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami