Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 PM

20 posts, read 25,509 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Florida, but I ran across the tragic case of Balto, adopted out by Miami-Dade Animal Services, on Facebook, and my blood is boiling.

A beautiful healthy Siberian Husky was "rescued" from MDAS in August. In early October, this same dog was returned to the shelter in absolutely deplorable condition. Please PM me for links to photos, because I really can't find the words to adequately describe. (Or, if you are on Facebook, you should probably be able to find his story) He was bleeding all over from skin problems and possibly other wounds. His neck was raw, most likely from being chained up outside. By the time he was returned to the shelter, he had practically no skin or fur on his legs, it was just raw infected bleeding... Or so it looks from the photos I have seen.

The shelter was going to euthanize him because he was in so much pain, but a rescue was heroically organized through the Urgent Dogs of MDAS Facebook page, and he was taken in for veterinary care. Sadly, he did not survive.

Remember, this all happened to this poor boy in less than two months. He was returned to the shelter in early October after being adopted in August. When the owner surrendered him, she provided them with a prescription dated 9/19 that had not been filled. So, apparently, she took him to the vet, but would not treat his condition and let him suffer for two more weeks before surrendering him.

I cannot imagine a more clearcut example of animal neglect. I am not a Floridian, but I can't imagine there aren't some laws against animal abuse and neglect. Balto's condition upon return was well documented, but charges are not being pressed against the prior owner. I can't fathom this. To the best of my knowledge, the owner did not allege Balto had a pre-existing condition. It seems pretty clear that Balto was left outside in humid, hot Miami for lengthy periods of time, conditions utterly inhumane for an Arctic breed.

Please, if there are any animal lovers out there in Miami, or even in Florida, who can get this case re-opened and the prior owner prosecuted, please PM me for more info if you cannot find the info on Facebook. Anyone with connections to the DA or MDAS or the mayor or council members, or news outfits.... Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:13 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,213,246 times
I used to have a Husky named Nyla....

How do we re-open this case?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 PM

I think there needs to be a huge public outcry. Contact DA/Mayor/Animal Control... Anyone and everyone you can think of. I'm putting it on Twitter and other places I can think of #JusticeForBalto

Minor correction to what I posted before - Apparently Balto did have a MILD case of demodex when he was adopted. The owner gave pound UNFILLED prescription dated 9/9 in early October.

Adopted in August, brought dog to vet but didn't care enough to fill prescription and let the poor boy suffer for 3 weeks before dumping him at the pound to be euthanized.

The picture I'm going to post is disturbing, but necessary to really understand...

This doesn't happen in less than 2 months without severe neglect.

I'll admit, this story grabbed me because we're currently sharing a home with a husky and what I think is a husky mix.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM

This is a picture from the short-lived rescue. He got proper medical care immediately but went septic and passed.

AND THE PERSON WHO DUMPED THIS DYING DOG AT THE SHELTER AFTER MAKING VIRTUALLY NO EFFORT TO CARE FOR HIS MEDICAL ISSUES? GETTING OFF SCOT FREE!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 PM

56 posts, read 125,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1962 View Post

This is a picture from the short-lived rescue. He got proper medical care immediately but went septic and passed.

AND THE PERSON WHO DUMPED THIS DYING DOG AT THE SHELTER AFTER MAKING VIRTUALLY NO EFFORT TO CARE FOR HIS MEDICAL ISSUES? GETTING OFF SCOT FREE!

Perhaps, the person who adopted the dog lacked the resources to finance proper medical care.

Do you think animal owners should be compelled to spend perhaps, $1,000's on medical care for their pets?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,833,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicemiller View Post
Perhaps, the person who adopted the dog lacked the resources to finance proper medical care.

Do you think animal owners should be compelled to spend perhaps, $1,000's on medical care for their pets?
It is very possible, some medications can cost $300-$400 a month for just a daily dosage. I still find what happened to be wrong and sad. I am not trying to take blame away from the owner but I think the Miami-Dade Animal Services gave up on the dog and did not give him the necessary and costly treatment. I guess they don't have the funds either to treat all animals that arrive at their facility. I am not an expert but I find it hard to believe by looking at the pictures that the dog went septic over a severe skin condition or allergies. You say that can't happen in less than 2 months but it could, it could happen in the course of 3-4 days if the dog is not treated. Regardless of what exactly happened it is very sad.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,484,300 times
OP have you contacted any of the local news stations?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicemiller View Post

Balto was adopted from the shelter in August. From what I now understand, he did have a MILD case of demodex and the adopter was aware.

So if you cannot afford medical treatment for the dog you want to adopt, adopt a healthy dog. It's not as if there is no shortage of dogs at MDAS.

Yet, after being adopted in August, when Balto was turned back in, it was with an unfilled prescription dated 9/9. And he wasn't turned back in until October.

If someone cannot or will not provide proper medical care to their pet, don't you think they're obligated to give the dog back to the shelter sooner, or seek out a rescue? Instead of letting the condition deteriorate over weeks, and the dog suffering, and not turn him in where he MIGHT get help, before he's at death's door?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
It is very possible, some medications can cost $300-$400 a month for just a daily dosage. I still find what happened to be wrong and sad. I am not trying to take blame away from the owner but I think the Miami-Dade Animal Services gave up on the dog and did not give him the necessary and costly treatment. I guess they don't have the funds either to treat all animals that arrive at their facility. I am not an expert but I find it hard to believe by looking at the pictures that the dog went septic over a severe skin condition or allergies. You say that can't happen in less than 2 months but it could, it could happen in the course of 3-4 days if the dog is not treated. Regardless of what exactly happened it is very sad.
When Balto was returned to the shelter in this condition, he was only there a few hours before rescue groups mobilized to get him out, and into proper veterinary care. Despite that, they could not save him. I have been in contact with people in the group who got him out, and he did indeed go septic. These are open wounds we're talking about here. From what I have heard, there were neck injuries consistent with being tied up outside for long period of time. Not sanitary conditions, to say the least. With so many openly bleeding spots, I'd be surprised if he didn't develop severe infection.

The fault with MDAS lies in 1. Letting someone adopt a dog with any kind of medical condition without making sure that person would have the resources to take care of it, and 2. Not investigating further when Balto was returned in this condition.

I'd love to hear the owner's side of the story. IN COURT.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
OP have you contacted any of the local news stations?
I personally have not, as I don't live there, but I am trying to get word out so the locals do. I know some people who are though.

This isn't just about one dog. We need to get serious about cracking down on severe neglect like this all over the country.

Last edited by Angie1962; 10-15-2012 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: