Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 AM

56 posts, read 125,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarvas View Post
I feel like a lot of the negatives might have been overstated, but holy hell...the drivers here really are TERRIFYING.

I'm coming from the DC metro, and our drivers and traffic are no joke, but these people scare me.

I've witnessed several accidents take place, narrowly avoided many, and I feel like I'm driving in a Grand Theft Auto video game on my commute to/from work.

1. Right on red is a legit practice in most parts of the country, but straight/left well after the light has turned red seems to be the norm in Miami.

2. Turn signals...are they not standard options on cars sold in South Florida?

3. Do they not teach physics here? No matter how slowly you go, you cannot actually put your own car in a space that already contains another car.

I'm done counting, but this place is hilarious. Even outside of heavy traffic times, I still find people trying to literally drive into me. There can be no one else on the road, and the one other car on the street will still cause me to slam on my brakes because they've decided to change lanes *into* me. I can't even speculate as to the reasoning behind the lane changes when there are no upcoming intersections or other cars around to inspire such maneuvers.

Oh, and what's with all the Mustangs here?

In other news, I'm only six days in, but I genuinely like what I've seen. The drivers are insane, but entertaining. Back in DC, people pay to spend half a day practicing crazy driving on a track with an instructor.

Kind of random, but can anyone recommend a liquor store with a good bourbon selection?

Sorry to be so chatty, but I'm posting another thread about neighborhoods. Sue me.
Miami has a substantial population of pure ***MOD CUT***, which is why you see so many Ford Mustangs. These foolish juvenile Mustang owners do not understand that the Mustang is essentially just a vehicle for teenage girls who do not know any better and are not aware that everybody is pointing at them and laughing for making such a stupid vehicle choice.

If you ever meet a Mustang owner in person you will notice that they are overly concerned with your opinion regarding their vehicle and there is nothing cool about worrying about what other people think about your vehicle.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-09-2012 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Flaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM

38 posts, read 73,124 times
My system of rating drivers of Miami: You drive a Mercedes Benz: You are almost always late to work and will drive as fast as you can to get there, your angry management classes are sub par, you are filing for a divorce next week. You drive a BMW: Refer to "You drive a Mercedes Benz" PLUS your car is up for repossession. You drive a Maserati: You do not know the difference between the gas pedal and the brake petal, you think it is amusing to race to each red light; you do not lock your car doors, if your car gets stolen, buy a new one!, You have the approximate salary of Bill Gates. You drive a Lamborghini: Your rented it most likely, you find pleasure in harassing pedestrians on Collins Avenue, you know only two speeds: Foot to the floor and lock up the brakes, you go back to Wisconsin tomorrow. You live in Doral: Traffic accidents and pedestrians being stuck are a daily occurrence, it is considered acceptable to floor it when someone is making a u-turn in front of you, what is brakes?, you most likely fall under "You drive a Mercedes Benz" or "You drive a BMW". You live in Opa-Locka: Traffic lights are easily discarded, drive-by shooting are more common then people following traffic laws, you figure one more roadkill wont hurt you city that much. You live on Ocean Drive: God help you. That is my system for rating drivers in Miami.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM

984 posts, read 4,319,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
Just yesterday, I was getting off the Turnpike at 120th St. The lane to turn right was backed up with about 15 - 20 cars. I look in my drivers side mirror and I see this Benz make a sudden turn out of the right turn lane and he comes flying down the left turn lane at easily 60 mph. Then he hits the brakes and tries to cut in front of me. Well, I guess he didn't notice my California plates, because I wasn't having any of that sh*t. I stood my ground and he had to cut in front of the guy behind me. Well, in the meantime, the light changes red again (Stupid timed lights won't allow all the traffic through) So, while we're stopped at the red, the guy in the Benz is on his horn the whole time, like it was me who did something wrong??
A similar thing happened to me today, a guy in a Benz as well (I'm not stereotyping people who have Mercedes-Benz ); these people are insane.

Actually, driving in Miami is insane (it's actually one of the things that makes me desire to live all the way down in Weston or somewhere in PBC); because it's crazy drivers all the time, I wonder how the people in Traffic Enforcement (of the PDs down here) do not get in pursuits all the time. You must concentrate 200% when driving here, it's almost all the time the cycle of maniacs, or people who have their minds in another planet, or are putting their make-up on, or eating or something.

And, I don't know if it's only with me that this happens often; but at least two or three times (or more) when I'm commuting or just driving, some people all of a sudden who were already driving badly, start to cut off everybody and run away at insane velocities right in the middle of traffic (mind that my car was formerly used by the City PD - I don't know if that has something to do with it). It's simply horrid.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
It's not just Miami. It's Sfla. It improves somewhat when you get to Delray, but not much.
Everyone's nuts!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 AM

823 posts, read 1,127,014 times
I could fill up this thread with examples I've seen in just the past week. Here's one that shows the complete lack of common courtesy in Miami drivers. My work has a security gate where you have to badge in for the gate to open. The driveway only holds 2 cars at a time. I pull up to the driveway and there are already 2 cars waiting to badge in. I have to make a left to get to the gate, so I stop, put on my turn signal and wait for the driveway to open up so I can pull in. While I'm waiting, another car pulls up in the opposite direction. Once the driveway clears, he just goes ahead and pulls in, even though I was waiting there, with my turn signal on, long before he got there. This is someone who works in the same building as I do, not just a complete random stranger, so the lack of courtesy to me, is the fault of the Miami driving culture. I'm sure it probably never occurred to him that he was being rude. He was just doing what he's always done as a Miami driver. It's that "me first" mindset once again.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM

225 posts, read 447,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
It's not just Miami. It's Sfla.
No, it's the world...people drive like this everywhere I have lived (US, EUROPE, AFRICA).

People actually drive pretty slow here compared to most cities I have lived in...

My only problem with drivers in the US is that they don't understand that the left lane is for passing/faster traffic...everything else, I have seen everywhere!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 AM

984 posts, read 4,319,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmyt View Post
No, it's the world...people drive like this everywhere I have lived (US, EUROPE, AFRICA).

People actually drive pretty slow here compared to most cities I have lived in...

My only problem with drivers in the US is that they don't understand that the left lane is for passing/faster traffic...everything else, I have seen everywhere!
Yes, partially; it's not uncommon in several parts of the world, I've been in Rio de Janeiro recently, it's even worse. But still, on a US level, it's bloody shoddy the 'average driver' in this city. I've been in northern PBC recently as well, it's amazing the difference, it's relaxing compared to here.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmyt View Post

Have you always lived in big cities?
As another poster said, the further north you get from Miami, the more considerate the drivers IMO.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM

225 posts, read 447,639 times
I have lived in big cities and suburbs, but never in the middle of nowhere, fortunately!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:37 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
I seriously almost got out of my car today and beat some ladys ass right in front of the Falls. Pulls right out. Didn't even look to her right. I almost completely rear ended her. I lay on my horn. She stops on on 136th street. I'm telling her to get out of her car. She still sits there. I pull up next to her and tell her to put her window down. All she can do is sit there and call me a W. I'm telling her to get her fat ass out of the car and see what kind of W I am. I drive off and she proceeds to make a left from her dead stop almost getting T-boned. I wish she would of!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami