Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,962,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressHaile View Post
Sooo, i'm just checking the net not knowing anything about Memorial Day Weekend in Miami... Yes, I'm European!

But 'cause I'm living in the Caribbean I planned a shopping trip to Miami from May 28 to May 31. Reading all this crap going on in the weekend before, you guys kinda scared me! I just want to walk around, relax and do a lot of shopping! Now I'm having nightmares of what to come
What will I see and experience on Monday let's say afternoon, and the following days?
You're gonna get shot, or raped, or kidnapped. Those hooligans are wild and capable of ANYTHING. BE WARNED!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,588 times
Haha, I'm living in Kingston, Jamaica... So I can handle a lot of what you guys call "ghetto" though...

Old 04-25-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressHaile View Post
Haha, I'm living in Kingston, Jamaica... So I can handle a lot of what you guys call "ghetto" though...
That's what you think.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,828,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's what you think.
That's exactly what I thought when I read her post.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM

309 posts, read 620,124 times
Empress, if you're coming from Kingston, urban beach week won't even turn yuh head..... it's like PassaPassa, but American style, nonstop for three days, LOL.

so it won't be nuthin you can't manage, but it does make it difficult to walk around leisurely & enjoy shopping. It goes from Fri-Monday; so by Tuesday things should be back to almost normal.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
Empress, if you're coming from Kingston, urban beach week won't even turn yuh head..... it's like PassaPassa, but American style, nonstop for three days, LOL.

so it won't be nuthin you can't manage, but it does make it difficult to walk around leisurely & enjoy shopping. It goes from Fri-Monday; so by Tuesday things should be back to almost normal.
The way they party in Jamaica is wilder. It's the goons that make partying Miami more on the dangerous side.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,913,478 times
***MOD CUT***
Also, I was a bartender in SOBE on memorial day weekend but at a chill locals spot kind of off the beaten path, so we didn't get this crowd.

But after work, a co-worker and I had to travel through the Memorial Weekend part of Sobe. Some ghetto woman pulled me by the back of my shirt and told me to "come the **** back over here". I didn't, we just kept walking but between that and all of the broken glass everywhere, I would never go back. This was about a block away from the shooting that happened.

My mom was actually driving around there to pick me up when that happened and she got detoured, I was very worried about her.

In '07 or '08 I was a waitress on Washington Ave SOBE Memorial Weekend. All I remember is a lot of the "tourists" didn't even come into eat, but the few that did Dined-and-dashed. This tiny Columbian waitress actually chased these ghetto girls down the street and grabbed one of them to make her pay. They actually ran down Washington ave!

This is not good for businesses down there. The only places that make a profit during this weekend are liquor stores, mcdonalds, burger king, and fatburger.

The memorial weekend I will hopefully be on a Cape Cod beach or New England lake, sunning myself

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-26-2012 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Baiting

Old 04-26-2012, 07:24 PM

160 posts, read 311,423 times
Yenta & Alterkocker Beach Week circa the early 80's.

South Miami Beach Retirees, 1982-85 | Retronaut

Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,573,401 times
^ Awwwwww! The good old days!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
***MOD CUT***
Also, I was a bartender in SOBE on memorial day weekend but at a chill locals spot kind of off the beaten path, so we didn't get this crowd.

But after work, a co-worker and I had to travel through the Memorial Weekend part of Sobe. Some ghetto woman pulled me by the back of my shirt and told me to "come the **** back over here". I didn't, we just kept walking but between that and all of the broken glass everywhere, I would never go back. This was about a block away from the shooting that happened.

My mom was actually driving around there to pick me up when that happened and she got detoured, I was very worried about her.

In '07 or '08 I was a waitress on Washington Ave SOBE Memorial Weekend. All I remember is a lot of the "tourists" didn't even come into eat, but the few that did Dined-and-dashed. This tiny Columbian waitress actually chased these ghetto girls down the street and grabbed one of them to make her pay. They actually ran down Washington ave!

This is not good for businesses down there. The only places that make a profit during this weekend are liquor stores, mcdonalds, burger king, and fatburger.

The memorial weekend I will hopefully be on a Cape Cod beach or New England lake, sunning myself
Miami just can't party like New Orleans. Many a incident like these go down during Mardi Gras on Bourbon Street. I guess Miami Beach has gotten soft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami