Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:59 PM

39 posts, read 34,296 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Miami in September from a large Northeast city.

I'm single, mid-30's, and deciding where to live. I'm thinking of either Miami Beach, downtown Miami (Brickell Avenue area), or Coral Cables/Coconut Grove.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 08:02 AM

423 posts, read 1,642,752 times
Depends a lot upon what you like, what is your profession ie. commute, you going to buy/rent? Either way, what is your budget. Give some more detail and I am sure you will get more responses.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
Depends a lot upon what you like, what is your profession ie. commute, you going to buy/rent? Either way, what is your budget. Give some more detail and I am sure you will get more responses.
Executive. Working a little west of Miami. Budget isn't a big issue. Looking to rent for one year (to learn the area) then buy. I'll be driving, don't mind a commute up to 1/2 hour.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:08 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,380 times
I live in the city of Coral gables. It's a beautiful mediterreanean type famly type neighborhood w/lots of trees- all the homes are different and unique looking. We have an art district on Ponce de Leon Blvd, we have shops on Miracle mile & the new "Merrick Place" mall that also has new apts for rent - it's not cheap there but there are lots of apt choices all over the Gables. The Gables is more a peaceful quiet environment... where one would go to a nice restaurant & take a stroll down Miracle Mile or the art galleries... btw, art gallery open house is the first Friday of every month and free to everyone, w/ complimentary wine tasting and free trolley rides to your car.

Coconut Grove has some beautiful areas and it's close to the bay. There are lots of nice fancy homes and plenty of apts for rent there, too. It's got the Mayfair shopping center and has more of a free spirited life style/some bohemian types...w/roller blading, joggers, bicycle riders...a more natural outdoorsy environment. The grove at night can be a happening place, too - though, not as hot as S. Beach.

Miami Beach is a long stretch so it depends where you go ...if you want action since you are young, the S. Beach area is where it's at, though remember it can get a bit noisy at night and some find it an inconvenience when they are actually living there. I have cousins that live in a nice condo in one of those highrise bldgs. on 50th something & Collins, but it's a more serene quiet area. Though, I know of a single male in his 40's that loves the atmosphere of S. Beach - noise and all. So, it all depends.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
I live in the city of Coral gables. It's a beautiful mediterreanean type famly type neighborhood w/lots of trees- all the homes are different and unique looking. We have an art district on Ponce de Leon Blvd, we have shops on Miracle mile & the new "Merrick Place" mall that also has new apts for rent - it's not cheap there but there are lots of apt choices all over the Gables. The Gables is more a peaceful quiet environment... where one would go to a nice restaurant & take a stroll down Miracle Mile or the art galleries... btw, art gallery open house is the first Friday of every month and free to everyone, w/ complimentary wine tasting and free trolley rides to your car.

Coconut Grove has some beautiful areas and it's close to the bay. There are lots of nice fancy homes and plenty of apts for rent there, too. It's got the Mayfair shopping center and has more of a free spirited life style/some bohemian types...w/roller blading, joggers, bicycle riders...a more natural outdoorsy environment. The grove at night can be a happening place, too - though, not as hot as S. Beach.

Miami Beach is a long stretch so it depends where you go ...if you want action since you are young, the S. Beach area is where it's at, though remember it can get a bit noisy at night and some find it an inconvenience when they are actually living there. I have cousins that live in a nice condo in one of those highrise bldgs. on 50th something & Collins, but it's a more serene quiet area. Though, I know of a single male in his 40's that loves the atmosphere of S. Beach - noise and all. So, it all depends.
Thanks Lulu for the good info! Couple of questions:

- Is there a beach near Coconut Grove? (As you can see, I don't know much about the area!) It seems there should be.
- Are there nice areas on Miami Beach, within walking distance of South Beach, that are more residential and quiet? I want to be able to get to sleep at night! You mentioned your cousins near 50th and Collins...are they close enough to walk to the attractions of south beach, but far enough to not hear it at night?
- What about commutes? What would be the avg commute at 7:30AM from South Beach to Coral Gables? From Brickell Ave to the Gables?

Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,919 times
There is no beach in Coconut Grove, as it's all bayfront and Biscayne Bay isn't much for swimming. Pretty area though, lots of nightlife.

Quiet areas near South Beach are around Meridian Dr/Flamingo Park area, not quite as hectic as Collins Ave/Ocean Dr area but within easy walking distance. 50th+Collins is a far walk down to South Beach. South Beach is defined as being south of Lincoln Rd, be forewarned many realtors/rental agents will stretch it as far as 41st St.

South Beach to downtown Coral Gables roughly 30 minutes 7:30 am.
Brickell Ave to downtown Coral Gables roughly 10-15 minutes at 7:30 am.

I also suggest Key Biscayne--a tropical island paradise about 2 miles east of Coral Gables, much less hectic than South Beach, even more pretty (but alot less nightlife), similar commute time as from South Beach.
Welcome to paradise!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
There is no beach in Coconut Grove, as it's all bayfront and Biscayne Bay isn't much for swimming. Pretty area though, lots of nightlife.

Quiet areas near South Beach are around Meridian Dr/Flamingo Park area, not quite as hectic as Collins Ave/Ocean Dr area but within easy walking distance. 50th+Collins is a far walk down to South Beach. South Beach is defined as being south of Lincoln Rd, be forewarned many realtors/rental agents will stretch it as far as 41st St.

South Beach to downtown Coral Gables roughly 30 minutes 7:30 am.
Brickell Ave to downtown Coral Gables roughly 10-15 minutes at 7:30 am.

I also suggest Key Biscayne--a tropical island paradise about 2 miles east of Coral Gables, much less hectic than South Beach, even more pretty (but alot less nightlife), similar commute time as from South Beach.
Welcome to paradise!
Thanks for the great info! What would you consider the relative advantages/disadvantes of living in the city (say, Brickell ave)? In most cities I've lived in, the downtown area is where everything IS - the high-end retail like Nordstroms and Neiman Marcus, the finer restaurants, the unique "specialty" shops etc. Is that true for Miami?

Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,919 times
The only real disadvantage is that you're not in walking distance to the beach. However, you are on Biscayne Bay--long views of turquoise waters.

One big advantage is easier access to public transport, and yes you're in the center of the action downtown.

There is some nightlife around downtown, mostly on the north end, it's increasing lately but still behind South Beach or Coconut Grove.

Not alot of high end retail or specialty shops in Brickell but there's alot in nearby Coral Gables and South Beach. Dadeland and the Shops at Sunset Place are a 15 minute ride away on Metrorail.

Brickell has several nice restaurants, Morton's and Capital Grill come to mind.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:45 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,380 times
Jeffrey did a good job at answering your questions...and yes, Key Biscayne is a good suggestion & really nice, though be forewarned it's not inexpensive but if you are not on a budget, Key biscayne would be a good alternative. Unlike the Grove it has lots of beach areas. I like it for daytime activities...there are some restaurants one can go at night, but it's not really a partying sort of place.
In S. Beach there are plenty of apts. away from the clubs that are within walking distance, like Jeffrey mentioned. 50th & Collins is definitely not a walking distance to S. Beach & a different ambiance - not a party scene. Realtors will kind of North it up a bit and say it's still South beach, but not when it comes to clubbing. Just drive on the Southern tip at night and go up (& a couple of blocks West) till you sense/feel more quiet and then go again in the daytime & check out the apts. that suit you.
Ohh...our new Merrick place mall here in the Gables has Neiman Marcus & Nordstrom's - it's a high end shopping mall. I don't know... Brickell is nice and has some restaurants, but personally & my opinion only, I don't like it for living... downtown Miami where one would go for shopping has sort of gone to the raunchy side in the past couple of decades.

Last edited by lulu; 08-21-2006 at 07:59 AM..

Old 08-21-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
... downtown Miami where one would go for shopping has sort of gone to the raunchy side in the past couple of decades.
Thanks Lulu, your post was very helpful.

Raunchy in what sense - low-end, seedy (adult movie theaters etc), or high crime? Or all three!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami