Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
Why I married one.

LOL - me too - although, I must admit that when we met in High School, I found it so annoying that he was speaking to me in spanish - I was like what the hell is up with this guy can he speak english - as it turns out he didn't speak it very well, but he was soooo cute! Anyway, I guess we were made for eachother - I now speak spanish so much better and he speaks English so much better.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Chealse

Santana is not black, but not a morocho (Argentinean morocho) either.
A morocho is a mestizo, light mestizo, not mulatto or light mulatto.
According to Porteños, they are always from the provinces....sometimes they accuse them of being backwater Sicilians, Moorish Spaniards or Turks (not true).
In Argentina you find very few mulattoes and blacks (they invented Tango), but according to Argentineans they don't exist.
There's an Argentinean myth or standing joke that proclaims that they sent all blacks to Uruguay accompanied by a priest...
Borges used to say that Argentineans are more Europeans that Europeans themselves because when you asked an Argentinean, he always answered that he was European, whereas in Europe people are from Italy, Spain, UK, etc.
Yes, I can agree with most of this - but wow, what did you do to my name LOL - I didn't say Santana was black but in my husbands very Argentinean family he would be considered morocho period - I can't tell how his hair is so this may be a determining factor as well. While my husband is on the darker side his hair is just like his blonde hair green eyed mothers. Listen, I had an Argentinean cleaning lady (sweet as ever) who came here 6 years ago - before she game to america she had never ever seen a black person except in photos of models - can you imagine - I thought she was kidding but she was so serious.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Blacks invented Tango? Isn't that more like a myth or something?
I don't knot that Africans invented it but it is true that they had something to do with it - as history shows almost all really good music or dancing has some type of African infusion.

Here is the history...

The tango is unlike any other dance. It combines the rhythms of African, Spanish and Cuban music in a series of gliding, almost violent steps. The reason for its flavor is the atmosphere in which it developed. The tango has the unique distinction of being a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]dance[/color][/color] that formed along with a new nation, and the struggle of young Argentina is mirrored within it. Read this article for an overview of the tango and its history, including how it is viewed today.

The tango got its start in Argentina, where it developed in the "barrios," or the slums of the city. Immigrants from many countries would gather in the slums of Buenos Aires to dance and revel, often with prostitutes. The tango developed as a form of entertainment for these rootless men, as well as a pantomime of the sexual act between a man and a woman. If the dance was danced three times, rumor held, the two would be sharing the same bed for the night. While tango was known as a forbidden dance (it was actually banned by a Pope!), it gradually became accepted in Europe, then in America. It was the rage in Paris at the beginning of the 1900's, which in turn led to it being danced in England, Spain and Italy. It reached America around the 1930's where it was immediately embraced. Europe's response was enough to convince America that the dance was worth performing

The tango is a product of the milonga, African rhythms and instruments, and even European and Latin influences. It is played on a typical orchestra of piano, violin, bass and an instrument known as the bandoneon, an [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]accordion[/color][/color]-shaped piece of German history. This instrument is beautiful and rare, since almost every bandoneon in Germany was melted down before World War !! to get metal for rifles. There are very few players of this instrument alive today, and because of this, tango music has an eerie, otherworldly quality, as did Buenos Aires during its inception. In the early 1900's, tango singers came into the limelight, giving the movements and steps of the dance even more meaning.
Tango [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]singers[/color][/color] must be examined in more detail. One singer in particular is renowned for bringing the tango, by his singing, into the realm of [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]performance [COLOR=blue !important]art[/color][/color][/color]. Carlos Gardel is perhaps the most famous tango singer that has ever lived. Known as the songbird to Buenos Aires, Gardel was born in France and grew up alongside the tango. Gardel invented the "tango [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]song[/color][/color]," or another line in the tango orchestration for voice, essentially making the tango a performance for both a musical audience and a dance show. Although his life was cut short by a plane crash in Colombia, South America, Gardel managed to achieve immense fame in Latin America. His singing was what finally convinced initial opposers of this risque dance that it belonged in elite, high society.

There are four known kinds of tango. The "Argentine" tango is the most natural form of the dance, done in a half-embrace. This dance contains slow movement and an almost rocking beat, to which [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]dancers[/color][/color] move in square-like patterns around the floor. This form of the dance retains the original flavor of the Argentine history behind it. It is improvised by the male, which the female leads. The "International" tango is the name given to the form of tango used in competition. This tango is a very stately affair, and requires that both partners arch their backs and face away from each other for the duration of the dance. Its steps are very difficult, for they must be done rapidly in time to the music. This dance is prearranged, and often practiced for long periods of time before being showcased. The "American" form of the tango is somewhere in between the above two forms. It requires the same holding pattern as the International tango, but it allows a greater range of expression in movements, and spaces where improvisation is allowed. "Tango fantasia" is the fourth, and most ornate, form of tango. This tango requires that the partners use intricate steps in combination with the original Argentinian style. It is not uncommon to see lifts, dips and spins in this type of tango.
The tango is very popular today, in movies like "[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Evita[/color][/color]" and "The Tango Lesson." It is also featured in [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Broadway [COLOR=blue !important]musicals[/color][/color][/color] like "Tango Forever" and "Tangomano." While the form of tango often displayed in movies and shows is very flashy, it accurately reflects the character of the dance as it is perceived today. Tango has been idealized as a passionate, sexy performance, one that is more suited to a showroom than a dance hall. Only in Argentina does the dance retain its most pure, original distillation, and its not unusual to see tango danced at weddings and funerals, political events and parties.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 AM

139 posts, read 383,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
LOL - me too - although, I must admit that when we met in High School, I found it so annoying that he was speaking to me in spanish - I was like what the hell is up with this guy can he speak english - as it turns out he didn't speak it very well, but he was soooo cute! Anyway, I guess we were made for eachother - I now speak spanish so much better and he speaks English so much better.
that sounds just like us, wow! i spoke a pretty westchester cubanish version of spanish when i met him, but both his english and my spanish have improved and i just find his nuances to be painfully adorable, hee hee.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I don't knot that Africans invented it but it is true that they had something to do with it - as history shows almost all really good music or dancing has some type of African infusion.

Here is the history...

The tango is unlike any other dance. It combines the rhythms of African, Spanish and Cuban music in a series of gliding, almost violent steps. The reason for its flavor is the atmosphere in which it developed. The tango has the unique distinction of being a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]dance[/color][/color] that formed along with a new nation, and the struggle of young Argentina is mirrored within it. Read this article for an overview of the tango and its history, including how it is viewed today.

The tango got its start in Argentina, where it developed in the "barrios," or the slums of the city. Immigrants from many countries would gather in the slums of Buenos Aires to dance and revel, often with prostitutes. The tango developed as a form of entertainment for these rootless men, as well as a pantomime of the sexual act between a man and a woman. If the dance was danced three times, rumor held, the two would be sharing the same bed for the night. While tango was known as a forbidden dance (it was actually banned by a Pope!), it gradually became accepted in Europe, then in America. It was the rage in Paris at the beginning of the 1900's, which in turn led to it being danced in England, Spain and Italy. It reached America around the 1930's where it was immediately embraced. Europe's response was enough to convince America that the dance was worth performing

The tango is a product of the milonga, African rhythms and instruments, and even European and Latin influences. It is played on a typical orchestra of piano, violin, bass and an instrument known as the bandoneon, an [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]accordion[/color][/color]-shaped piece of German history. This instrument is beautiful and rare, since almost every bandoneon in Germany was melted down before World War !! to get metal for rifles. There are very few players of this instrument alive today, and because of this, tango music has an eerie, otherworldly quality, as did Buenos Aires during its inception. In the early 1900's, tango singers came into the limelight, giving the movements and steps of the dance even more meaning.
Tango [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]singers[/color][/color] must be examined in more detail. One singer in particular is renowned for bringing the tango, by his singing, into the realm of [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]performance [COLOR=blue !important]art[/color][/color][/color]. Carlos Gardel is perhaps the most famous tango singer that has ever lived. Known as the songbird to Buenos Aires, Gardel was born in France and grew up alongside the tango. Gardel invented the "tango [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]song[/color][/color]," or another line in the tango orchestration for voice, essentially making the tango a performance for both a musical audience and a dance show. Although his life was cut short by a plane crash in Colombia, South America, Gardel managed to achieve immense fame in Latin America. His singing was what finally convinced initial opposers of this risque dance that it belonged in elite, high society.

There are four known kinds of tango. The "Argentine" tango is the most natural form of the dance, done in a half-embrace. This dance contains slow movement and an almost rocking beat, to which [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]dancers[/color][/color] move in square-like patterns around the floor. This form of the dance retains the original flavor of the Argentine history behind it. It is improvised by the male, which the female leads. The "International" tango is the name given to the form of tango used in competition. This tango is a very stately affair, and requires that both partners arch their backs and face away from each other for the duration of the dance. Its steps are very difficult, for they must be done rapidly in time to the music. This dance is prearranged, and often practiced for long periods of time before being showcased. The "American" form of the tango is somewhere in between the above two forms. It requires the same holding pattern as the International tango, but it allows a greater range of expression in movements, and spaces where improvisation is allowed. "Tango fantasia" is the fourth, and most ornate, form of tango. This tango requires that the partners use intricate steps in combination with the original Argentinian style. It is not uncommon to see lifts, dips and spins in this type of tango.
The tango is very popular today, in movies like "[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Evita[/color][/color]" and "The Tango Lesson." It is also featured in [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Broadway [COLOR=blue !important]musicals[/color][/color][/color] like "Tango Forever" and "Tangomano." While the form of tango often displayed in movies and shows is very flashy, it accurately reflects the character of the dance as it is perceived today. Tango has been idealized as a passionate, sexy performance, one that is more suited to a showroom than a dance hall. Only in Argentina does the dance retain its most pure, original distillation, and its not unusual to see tango danced at weddings and funerals, political events and parties.
I don't think that source is reliable.

I'll take it as a fact nonetheless.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I don't think that source is reliable.

I'll take it as a fact nonetheless.
I can't say if it is or isn't - I know my history but I'm Puerto Rican - I will ask my sis-n-law who used to dance for a company and was actually crowned Miss Argentina NY back when she was younger - she should no doubt know the history and her parents teach it so, I imagine the would know as well - I will report back as soon as I know LOL!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
that sounds just like us, wow! i spoke a pretty westchester cubanish version of spanish when i met him, but both his english and my spanish have improved and i just find his nuances to be painfully adorable, hee hee.
How about the first time I said "cojer lo" at the dinner table - or when his mother called my son a "putito" in front of my grandmother - LOL - oh Goodness that was hysterical - pero, he is a good man and I love him even when I want to kill him!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
That's a bad word in Miami. I thought it was Cuban The "take" verb. Must be a slang from Spain. Over here you have a mixture of Cuban, dominican argentinan and Nicaraguan slang you have to be careful with.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
That's a bad word in Miami. I thought it was Cuban The "take" verb. Must be a slang from Spain. Over here you have a mixture of Cuban, dominican argentinan and Nicaraguan slang you have to be careful with.
I know LOL - are there any Ricans in Miami or do they just go to NY?

That's what it means - "take this or that"

Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
"Coger" (to take) is the sexual act in Argentina, but not in the rest of the Americas or Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami