Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
For Colombians morocho is black too, not brunette. It's rather an offensive term.

Chelsa the Colombian region you were referring to is the Atlantic coast( Barranquilla, Cartagena). They speak faster and tend to skip the "s" sounds just like the other caribbean nations(Cuba, PR DR) Shakira, Sofia vergara, Garcia Marquez and Carlos Vives are all from that region.
Gothcha - I'm glad you understood what I was saying about morocho - I mean it goes as far in Argentina for them to refer to some people as monos and that can not be misinterpreted as being nice. Oh and do we agree that Johan is not black LOL - call me crazy but I don't look at him and think black at all.

So, where are they from when they say "pues" LOL - Colombians in NY say that a lot - Argentines say "concha" - yuck - and equas and peruanos say chucha LOL!

Newyoricans and Newminicans just plain old speak bad - I don't know that there is a lot of difference between the Dominicans in their country and ones here. I know that there is a huge difference for Puerto Ricans - at least for my family - they all speak beautiful spanish!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
"pues" means "so" or something like that. it's used often in Medellin. That's the region they call "paisas" Paisas have thick accents, speak slowly and overpronounce the "s" almost like a "sh" sound, very similar to the way Spaniards pronounce their "s". Most famous Colombian food is from paisas. (bandeja paisa, empanadas, buñuelos, arepas).

Old 09-01-2010, 04:06 PM

139 posts, read 383,703 times
Quote:
"pues" means "so" or something like that. it's used often in Medellin. That's the region they call "paisas" Paisas have thick accents, speak slowly and overpronounce the "s" almost like a "sh" sound, very similar to the way Spaniards pronounce their "s". Most famous Colombian food is from paisas. (bandeja paisa, empanadas, buñuelos, arepas).
the "s" sound nuance of which you speak, sounds much nicer when a Spaniard does it.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
the "s" sound nuance of which you speak, sounds much nicer when a Spaniard does it.

The sound of the "s" is really the same. The intonation is very different and other letters are pronouced differently like "j" and "y". Spaniards also speak in past perfect like "I have seen her at the party" while other Hispanics just say "I saw her at the party". I personally don't care for accents, as long as I can understand what they are saying and I understand all Latinos. I don't subscribe to the idea that some nationalities speak better English or Spanish than others.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post

Really - I don't think so - I think it sounds like the whole country has a lisp - to me it is the most unappealing accent of all the spanish speaking countries.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
The sound of the "s" is really the same. The intonation is very different and other letters are pronouced differently like "j" and "y". Spaniards also speak in past perfect like "I have seen her at the party" while other Hispanics just say "I saw her at the party". I personally don't care for accents, as long as I can understand what they are saying and I understand all Latinos. I don't subscribe to the idea that some nationalities speak better English or Spanish than others.

I can agree with that - but you must admit that some spanish is just spoken in a prettier way than others. I personally think the way Arfentineans speak spanish is very nice - it is almost in a sing song.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Logger - he is Mexican American - where did you read/hear that he was Puerto Rican?
Chelsa: You are correct....I take it that Logger was kidding.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:43 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,478 times
Quote:
Did you just take what you felt like from my statement and run wild with it? NO he isn't black but if you RE-READ what I wrote for Argentina he would be considered morocho - what is with people on here just running wild on a certain portion of an answer
----

Chealse

Santana is not black, but not a morocho (Argentinean morocho) either.
A morocho is a mestizo, light mestizo, not mulatto or light mulatto.
According to Porteños, they are always from the provinces....sometimes they accuse them of being backwater Sicilians, Moorish Spaniards or Turks (not true).
In Argentina you find very few mulattoes and blacks (they invented Tango), but according to Argentineans they don't exist.
There's an Argentinean myth or standing joke that proclaims that they sent all blacks to Uruguay accompanied by a priest...
Borges used to say that Argentineans are more Europeans that Europeans themselves because when you asked an Argentinean, he always answered that he was European, whereas in Europe people are from Italy, Spain, UK, etc.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,193,556 times
Blacks invented Tango? Isn't that more like a myth or something?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:33 AM

139 posts, read 383,703 times
Quote:
I can agree with that - but you must admit that some spanish is just spoken in a prettier way than others. I personally think the way Arfentineans speak spanish is very nice - it is almost in a sing song.
Why I married one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami