Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,269 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Hyattsville area off riverdale is a safe haven for hispanics. I used to live over there (GULP!) and beer cans were left all over the place, and there kids were everywhere! Where I used to ride my bike at the bike trail across kenilworth ave., I didn't even want to take my kids after a while because they were peeing by the trees... yuck!

Coolnana, I second what you said. We all forget that blacksweren't the only slaves. Just about all races were slaves at some point, and went through the same magnitude of heinous acts.

Last edited by RoadTripGurl; 01-10-2009 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 11:38 AM

36 posts, read 150,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
and i thought racism didn't exist until this last presidential election.. when 95% of blacks voted for an inexperienced president who was voted in 2007 as the worst liberal of all senators for his massive junk spendings in pork barrel junk.. so how is he good for the economy.. so racism is alive and well.. he claims he will inherit a $1.2 trillion dollar debt and next sentence he says in 2013 we will be $32 trillion in debt.. yep. Racism is alive and well sadly.. If everyone who is racist would read their history books, they would see that not only blacks were slaves, whites were also.. Whenever a person was hired to look after their farms, homes, maids, butlers ect and given a place to live, they were called slaves..
Wasn't a bad word back then.. most enjoyed their jobs and a place to raise their families..
Here we have another ignorant ultra-conservative, neocon, idiot who came along and spoiled the healthy debate on the thread. Its plainly obvious who is really racist here. Maybe you should recheck your history "facts" for their accuracy, as (1) there were never a significant number of white slaves in this country, and (2) blacks have always voted for the Democrat whether he was black, white, purple, or orange. Obviously your misconceptions about slavery are really shocking. Blacks weren't "hired" to do anything, neither were they "given a place to live" as you call it.

Black vote in recent elections:

Walter Mondale: 90%
Michael Dukakis:90%
Bill Clinton ('92): 83%
Bill Clinton ('96): 84%
Al Gore: 90%

What's really disturbing in your post is the undertone suggestion that its mainly black's that are the source of racism. But you are right that it's still alive and well. If anything the people most racist in this election were the numerous whites, particularly in the South and West that didn't vote for Obama because he was black. Maybe you missed some of the extremely insulting and derogotary comments that many rural voters made about Obama, at rallies and elsewhere on camera. You can easily find some videos of them on Youtube. Also, maybe you can explain why Lt. Gov. Steele didn't even come close to winning the black vote in his run for the Senate against Cardin.

West Virginia is an excellent example of this attitude. WV is a unique state in that its the only rural, poor state that tends to vote Democrat, but didn't even come close in this election, because of what most would say "racial issues." And this was the state seceded from VA because of slavery, (although it was more for economic than moral reasons).

You must have also been asleep last fall/winter when Bush freely wasted the taxpayer's money particularly on the bailout of the incompotent automakers in Detroit.

And rethuglicans wonder why minorities (NONE of them) and females don't vote for them. If any one of those groups just glanced at your arrogant, finger-pointing post it would be impossible for them to actually consider voting conservative. Tactics such as those, and shoving unqualified minorities and females on tickets into positions of power (eg. Palin, Jindal, Steele) isn't fooling anyone and is not going to win the vote from either group. Your bigoted, right-wing extremist rants are just polluting this thread, please find somewhere else to publish your garbage. Thanks. Maybe Faux News can help you out...

Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 AM

36 posts, read 150,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
Yes, the Hyattsville area off riverdale is a safe haven for hispanics. I used to live over there (GULP!) and beer cans were left all over the place, and there kids were everywhere! Where I used to ride my bike at the bike trail across kenilworth ave., I didn't even want to take my kids after a while because they were peeing by the trees... yuck!

Coolnana, I second what you said. We all forget that blacksweren't the only slaves. Just about all races were slaves at some point, and went through the same magnitude of heinous acts.
"Yes, the Hyattsville area off riverdale is a safe haven for hispanics."

Wow, another bigot. So, you have something against Hispanics. Please, could everyone stop the BS about "Whites were slaves too." Indentured servants are not the same thing as slaves. Plus, they weren't any white "slaves" in this country, and even if they were a few I guarantee you that they did not get the same treatment of Black slaves.

Maybe your posts would have sounded less racist if you just posted the second two sentences and removed the other BS garbage.

btw I'm in College Park all the time, and (most of) Hyattsville isn't nearly as bad as you say, especially not the East side where PG Plaza and the Judicial building are. In fact they're currently developing the area to be more upscale, and have a more "downtown," "arts district" feel. Now, neighboring Langley Park is another matter...

Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,269 times
Terp4Ever I mean what's your problem? I'm not a racist or a bigot I merely STATED A FACT. The majority of the race in the Hyattsville area that I mentioned is MOSTLY HISPANIC. I don't see how you inferred that I had something against ALL hispanics just by my one post. Not all groups of hispanics or all areas where majority hispanics reside is going downhill, are undesirable and that goes for any ethnicity. And further, I did not even mention PG Plaza or other areas of Hyattsville. I'm glad you're a cheerleader for black folks (I am black BTW), but for real don't get mad because others express their opinion. I didn't call names or say "I hate them *bleep*" mexicans as I've heard others. Different people have different points of view, especially when people are in different situtations or have come from different environments. And I respect your opinions so you shouldn't go calling me "a bigot" because I agreed with what somebody else said or stated my perception of a topic. And if you don't want to read my "BS" just scroll down and read somebody else's post...

Go Terps!

Last edited by RoadTripGurl; 01-10-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 03:19 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
If everyone who is racist would read their history books, they would see that not only blacks were slaves, whites were also.. Whenever a person was hired to look after their farms, homes, maids, butlers ect and given a place to live, they were called slaves..
Wasn't a bad word back then.. most enjoyed their jobs and a place to raise their families..
Ah, the "happy go lucky slave" MYTH.

But the last two sentences... no you didn't, hon. No you didn't.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:18 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
We've slipped into a topic not indicative of a state forum. Please visit the Politics and Other Controversies forum on this site.
7th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland