Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 12:59 PM

2,044 posts, read 4,562,535 times

Advertisements

In Maryland, a 30-minute radius to Silver Spring will still be the suburbs. True rural areas are at least an hour or more (especially during commuting hours).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 03:54 PM

30,402 posts, read 52,016,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
In Maryland, a 30-minute radius to Silver Spring will still be the suburbs. True rural areas are at least an hour or more (especially during commuting hours).
That's what I was afraid of, but then let's stretch it to an hour... I commute almost an hour each way now, so that wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd prefer less, but at least it's probably an EASIER drive than my current commute (on a 2-lane twisty mountain road). lol

Old 04-25-2024, 06:16 AM

59,291 posts, read 27,456,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I was born in Maryland (Silver Spring then Rockville), but my family moved to California/SF when I was a kid... I'm now 45 years old, and my sister + her husband and two teens are moving to D.C. this summer. My niece will be attending a boarding school out there, so they decided it was a good excuse to relocate. They're really trying to convince me to follow, and honestly I have no reason not to - except the fact that I'm such a west-coaster at this point. But hey, it's good to shake things up occasionally!

So if I decide to move there too, I'm trying to narrow down where exactly to start looking. Money and job aren't much of a concern, since I have enough to live on for a while (especially after I sell my house here). But I am a professional librarian with the MLIS degree, and would eventually try to find a part-time library or school job. I am also qualified to tutor/teach ESL, so I could even do that online if need be.

Basics: 45 year-old female, unmarried, no children, 2 big dogs + 3 cats. Not really a city or suburbs kinda gal, so I'd like to be in a more rural location. Up to an hour's drive or train ride to D.C. is fine, since I'm used to living that distance from my family/friends here. I'm picturing something with a quaint downtown, maybe an old cinema and some cute casual restaurants. Dog-friendly, and also friendly people. I am fairly sociable, but not like the partying type of social - too old for that, lol. I'm also Jewish, but more culturally than religious, so that isn't a huge factor. Politically far left if you ask, but I prefer to avoid the political drama.

I'd probably rent for up to a year, and then buy something in the $400-600K price range. I'd need something with room for my dogs, so NOT a condo or tract suburban home. My sister had suggested looking around Annapolis and St. Michael, but I'm also looking maybe as far as southern PA. Thoughts? Advice? TIA!
You want to move back to MD, my condolences!

Old 04-28-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You want to move back to MD, my condolences!
No, not really. Just humoring my sister, and considering it as an option. Still in CA as of now.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I think it's a good idea to let the old dog live out his life, that is very thoughtful of you.
And to update on this, the old guy passed away in Sept '22; but I've since acquired another dog (now have 2 huskies - I'm crazy lol), so I'm right back where I started! Still 2 dogs + 3 cats, but as I said earlier in the thread, I'm okay with "don't ask don't tell" on the cats. And I might get one of the dogs certified as an ESA, following all LEGAL channels for that, in case having multiples is a barrier.

Also lost my mother last November, which is fueling my relocation even more. She was on the west coast, in Las Vegas, which was making me slightly hesitant to go any farther east or north. Now I don't care.

Old 04-28-2024, 05:10 PM

271 posts, read 512,348 times
Don't move back to Md it's awful.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:42 AM

34,127 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
...lost my mother last November, which is fueling my relocation (notions)...
...(had me) hesitant to go any farther east or north.
Now I don't care....(as to Maryland) Just humoring my sister
Stay with/close to your California friends and the work/employer you have.
Sort out the rest from that point. Tuck in the wings.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:41 AM

421 posts, read 121,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
Don't move back to Md it's awful.
Unless this is sarcasm designed to keep people out of our state, I'm going to disagree. Like everywhere SOME parts are awful, but the state as a whole is not, and there are some truly wonderful parts.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/mary...-places-in-md/

I currently live in the Ralston area of Pikesville, and have been here for 22 years (after living for 2 years in Tindeco Wharf in Canton, where I could walk to O'Donnel Square, Fells Point, and even the Inner Harbor). I'm retiring in July and moving down to Crisfield on the southern tip of the Eastern shore. A little slower paced life with a short drive to Chincoteague and Assateague, up to St Michaels or even a short hop down though the Cheasapeake Bridge/Tunnel to Virginia Beach if we feel like it. Where we are moving to is cheap, but pretty scenic, with friendly people (been to visit a few times and spend time on their FB page).

There's the mountains of the west to the bay in the east and then on to the ocean, with rolling farmland to urban centers all around.

Old 05-05-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Stay with/close to your California friends and the work/employer you have.
Sort out the rest from that point. Tuck in the wings.
I've actually got a job offer in Washington State now, which I am leaning towards accepting. I'm done with California at this point, and just trying to find the right new place to land! Sometimes you've gotta spread those wings a little... life is too short to play it safe, and I'm not as "Rational" as you I guess.

One of my best friends (along with a handful of others) lives in Seattle, btw. So I won't be alone once I get there, in fact we're hoping to share a house.

Old 05-05-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
Unless this is sarcasm designed to keep people out of our state, I'm going to disagree. Like everywhere SOME parts are awful, but the state as a whole is not, and there are some truly wonderful parts.
If they were doing that, they need to go back and read my OP again; because it's not "your (their)" state, it was mine too! I'm a native Marylander, born in Silver Spring in 1976.

But I'm likely going to the Seattle area instead, as that's where I feel more at home; and I just got a good job offer there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland