Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 07:35 PM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Still debating if it's even worth considering this move,
or if I should stay put until I'm ready to relocate somewhere on the west coast.
If you don't NEED to move , if it isn't convenient regarding work/friends/etc to move... then stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 02:35 PM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you don't NEED to move , if it isn't convenient regarding work/friends/etc to move... then stay put.
Well, nobody NEEDS to do anything... I'm trying to decide if I want to move, and that's still up in the air. Guess I'm just feeling restless. I've never been one to stay put (in a house/job/etc) for very long, so the idea of starting a new life elsewhere does have its appeal. And if I can, why not?

Plus I'll miss my family. Mother already moved, brother hasn't lived near me since we were young, father died, and relatives are mostly back east; so all I have left here is my sister & her husband/kids. If I follow her to Maryland, I'd have not only her but all of my relatives back there. There's a lot more to consider in life than money and convenience, ya know?

Old 07-05-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It rains a lot more here. (Of course, that's a weather difference.) Related to this, it's a lot greener here. It's rare to have drought conditions serious enough to require water-use restrictions. The Fall Line is the dividing line between fairly flat terrain (eastern side of the state) and hillier terrain (western side of the state). I-95 runs along the Fall Line and serves as a good proxy for it. Only in the far western side of the state (essentially everything west of Hancock) will you find mountains that resemble what they have in the Bay Area.

Is it worth it to move here? Only you can answer that, of course. But I would highly, highly recommend coming out here and scoping it out before you worry about whether it's worth it or not. Once you see the places we've named, you'll have a much better sense if you'll want to join us or stay put where you are.

Edit to add, if you come when the leaves are down (approximately mid-November through mid-April), everything has a much different appearance than the rest of the year. I'd recommend coming first when the leaves are up, as I think it's much prettier. Then, having narrowed your choices, come again when the leaves are down and see if the difference is enough to make you change your mind. Yes, it does snow here; but unless you've going to move to Garrett County (our westernmost county), it's usually not that bad.
Thanks, and yes - I would definitely come out for a few visits before deciding.

But I should remind you that I am originally from Maryland! We did move here (to CA) when I was young, but I've gone back to the NE at least once every year or two since then - to visit relatives, attend family functions, etc. So I have seen it in all four seasons many times, including a couple of cicada invasions. It won't be any shock to me.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:16 PM

16,572 posts, read 10,676,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thanks, and yes - I would definitely come out for a few visits before deciding.

But I should remind you that I am originally from Maryland! We did move here (to CA) when I was young, but I've gone back to the NE at least once every year or two since then - to visit relatives, attend family functions, etc. So I have seen it in all four seasons many times, including a couple of cicada invasions. It won't be any shock to me.
Yes, I'd forgotten that. Well then, you have a decent idea of what to expect. You've been given choices of places to live in Southern Maryland and also places in Western-ish Maryland. To me, these two regions have a completely different feel. I think you'd prefer the one toward the west (Frederick and the various places in proximity to it), but you'll have to see them both. That would be my suggestion for the first order of business. Visit both areas and soak in the general look and feel of both. They're different enough that you'll probably figure out pretty quickly which one you like better. Then you can work on narrowing it down to specific towns.

Old 08-17-2022, 03:26 PM

110 posts, read 89,017 times
Come east. If you hate it, you can always go back to Cali. I’m in Harrisburg PA but, I have friends in Burkittsville. It’s very small but, the people are nice and Frederick is fun to visit, has a really good art community and DC’s not too far away.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCakes572 View Post
Come east. If you hate it, you can always go back to Cali. I’m in Harrisburg PA but, I have friends in Burkittsville. It’s very small but, the people are nice and Frederick is fun to visit, has a really good art community and DC’s not too far away.
Problem is that the bolded part isn't necessarily true... I own a house here, and unless I keep it as a rental (which is a possibility), I'd likely get priced out if I sold it and left. Well, if we're talking about the Bay Area at least. California is a huge state, lol. I'd also be giving up my job, but that will be the case regardless of where I relocate - if I do.

But I guess you're right in the wider sense; if I don't like it, I can always come back west (just perhaps not exactly back to where I am now). My sister and her daughter are leaving for MD today, her son is joining them in a couple weeks, and then I'm planning a visit for next month. Guess we'll see what happens!

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-18-2022 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-18-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCakes572 View Post
I’m in Harrisburg PA but, I have friends in Burkittsville. It’s very small but, the people are nice and Frederick is fun to visit, has a really good art community and DC’s not too far away.
Oh, and while I have your attention... any small(ish) towns in southern PA you'd recommend I look into? I'm willing to go up to 1.5 hours from D.C., especially if it's a better fit and more financially doable than MD. Something quaint, nice scenery, not just a bunch of suburban tract homes, and perhaps a synagogue within 30 or so minutes?

Old 08-18-2022, 04:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,088,940 times
I understand that PA doesn't tax retirement pensions, nor clothing purchases.

But their roads in many cases are shabby and not maintained as well as MD's. PA also has I think the 2nd highest gasoline tax in USA.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I understand that PA doesn't tax retirement pensions, nor clothing purchases.

But their roads in many cases are shabby and not maintained as well as MD's. PA also has I think the 2nd highest gasoline tax in USA.
So are you saying I'm better off in MD? Although as a Californian (for most of my life now), I doubt any tax or road issues will scare me off either state.

I've also been exploring real estate around Harpers Ferry, but I'm not sure I would want to live in WV. Perhaps it wouldn't matter.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:22 PM

4,661 posts, read 3,028,786 times
I had a life history sort of opposite to yours, OP:
born and raised in CA, but lived in MD for five years in my 20s,
then went back to the west coast.

I'm not contemplating moving east again, but C-D has a fun way of inspiring what-ifs,
e.g., "if I was going to live in the Northeast again, where would I go?"

Just judging by Streetview scenes, Lancaster PA looks like an intriguing place to be --
there's so much history there! Perhaps it's too far from your relatives in MD... or is it?
(how often would you expect to visit them?)

PS: hooray for librarians!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland