Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 08:17 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

Thanks for returning and giving your impression. I can't say I know the pizza place but your plan to follow the creek into town was a solid one. I too love the old buildings of Frederick as well as everything else it has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 10:26 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr2133 View Post
Thank you everyone for the recommendations. It was much appreciated. I ended up getting to South Mountain State Park around 6 in the morning and started the trail. The drive took less than 4 hours. I did a total of about 15 miles on the trails around Frederick. The Annapolis Rock overlook was a nice stop for breakfast. I ended up going further north on the Appalachian Trail than I had planned to because I wanted to come back and take in some of the overlook views after the fog had lifted. Oh my god, the cicadas. We have them here in NE Ohio this year too, but not as bad as DC. Driving south on 270 and 495 they were a constant figure on cars' windshields. My drive back through on Sunday was no different. I also stopped at Gambrill State Park rather briefly and took in the view at the North Frederick Overlook with its views of Frederick itself.

Frederick is so underrated. I was there during the Frederick Festival of the Arts. Downtown was packed with people, and I was really impressed with what the city had to offer architecturally. I walked about 3 miles around the immediate downtown Frederick area and enjoyed my quick stop. Parked over by Baker Park on Carroll Parkway and followed Carroll Creek into downtown. I ate at Pistarro's as I was craving a pizza and didn't want anything too elaborate as I had to get back on the road.

It's not a long drive and would be a nice weekend trip. I definitely plan to come back!
Great, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and updated us. Frederick is underrated, IMO, as well. There aren't that many places where you can be 15 minutes from a historical gentrified mid-19th century small city and good quality mountain hiking options.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:15 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr2133 View Post
Thank you everyone for the recommendations. It was much appreciated. I ended up getting to South Mountain State Park around 6 in the morning and started the trail. The drive took less than 4 hours. I did a total of about 15 miles on the trails around Frederick. The Annapolis Rock overlook was a nice stop for breakfast. I ended up going further north on the Appalachian Trail than I had planned to because I wanted to come back and take in some of the overlook views after the fog had lifted. Oh my god, the cicadas. We have them here in NE Ohio this year too, but not as bad as DC. Driving south on 270 and 495 they were a constant figure on cars' windshields. My drive back through on Sunday was no different. I also stopped at Gambrill State Park rather briefly and took in the view at the North Frederick Overlook with its views of Frederick itself.

Frederick is so underrated. I was there during the Frederick Festival of the Arts. Downtown was packed with people, and I was really impressed with what the city had to offer architecturally. I walked about 3 miles around the immediate downtown Frederick area and enjoyed my quick stop. Parked over by Baker Park on Carroll Parkway and followed Carroll Creek into downtown. I ate at Pistarro's as I was craving a pizza and didn't want anything too elaborate as I had to get back on the road.

It's not a long drive and would be a nice weekend trip. I definitely plan to come back!

I'm glad you had a good trip. I completely forgot about the Arts Festival! Thanks for the after action report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland