Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM

376 posts, read 728,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Boy did this thread veer off course. LOL The OP will never move to Maryland after seeing how we don't seem to get along all that well.

Damn liberals......
I think that is more the liberals fault though. I think conservatives have more fun when they debate, liberals tend to make it personal. Maybe that is my own bias though. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,072 times
Take a look at DCs (and to some extent, Baltimore) politics and problems then you will see Maryland's cons.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM

376 posts, read 728,572 times
I think the pros and cons for Maryland are fairly obvious, and more so than most states. I think the main pro is close to DC to vist on frequent basis, the main con is it is close to DC which means higher COL and more traffic. You basically need to ask yoursle how much you want to be punished from a financial standpoint and time standpoint to live near DC, and then maybe consider the weather and some other things.

The main thing that surprised me about Maryland is all the little mountains and hiking opportunities and it closed to some decent ski resorts like WISP but not that far from decent beaches like Ocean City. It is also much more rural than I would have thought once you get out of Baltimore and Montgomery counties.

I thought that I read Frederick was 2nd biggest city in MD which doesn't seem possible.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
I think the pros and cons for Maryland are fairly obvious, and more so than most states. I think the main pro is close to DC to vist on frequent basis, the main con is it is close to DC which means higher COL and more traffic. You basically need to ask yoursle how much you want to be punished from a financial standpoint and time standpoint to live near DC, and then maybe consider the weather and some other things.

The main thing that surprised me about Maryland is all the little mountains and hiking opportunities and it closed to some decent ski resorts like WISP but not that far from decent beaches like Ocean City. It is also much more rural than I would have thought once you get out of Baltimore and Montgomery counties.

I thought that I read Frederick was 2nd biggest city in MD which doesn't seem possible.

Frederick may be correct. I thought it was Gaithersburg. Keep in mind that MD only has 157 municipalities so large population areas like Silver Spring are a Zip Code and not an incorporated Town. That may be where the disconnect is.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfoa View Post
As someone who moved to Maryland from another part of the country, my answer would say it depends on where you are coming from. I personally have been VERY disappointed in Maryland. I don't find the quality of life all that great. Sure, there are lots of jobs and jobs tend to pay well (PRO), but commuting (CON) is terrible pretty much everywhere (people from here think it is "normal"- trust me, its not). If you are in the DC region of MD there is really nothing to do (CON) unless you want to look at monuments--Baltimore is much more happening if you like the city vibe. Housing is ungodly expensive (CON), people tend to be spread out (CON), as in, you may live in Silver Spring but your friends live in Frederick. Lived in 2 different areas of MD and have never experienced a sense of community that I felt back home (CON). People tend to be selfish (CON), especially while driving (no regard for human life--CON). Simple things like getting ingredients for a receipe are difficult; I usually have to go to more than 1 grocery store (again, this was in 2 different locations in MD). Life is just more difficult in general and full of different kind of stresses. Everyone I have met who is not from here feels the same way. Its just one big letdown. Now, I'm sure there are people who have moved here from elsewhere in the country that do enjoy it--as I said before, it really depends on where they came from/what they are used to. Most people who move here tend to move out at some point (I have no facts to support this, just an observation from the workplace).

These are just my perceptions as an outsider...which tend to be MUCH different than MD natives.
What?? That's really quite the bizarre statement if I ever seen one. Not much in-the-know are we? I know you're an outsider, but did you at least made an effort to explore the ENTIRE metro area and the city of DC BEYOND the National Mall?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!!! Tom Lennox is Back.......I Love Maryland!!! I'm from Montgomery County and at the end of the day I represent WASHINGTON D.C.
+2 LOL What do you expect from Good 'O Tommy Boy

I'm damn proud to be a born & raised Marylander and a Prince Georgian! It's one of my most favorite states in the country and one of the best states on the East Coast IMO.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to sound defensive but some of your comments are just hard to understand. "nothing to do near DC other than look at monuments" is just crazy. If you can't find things to do near DC that's on you. Having friends all over the region sounds like a personal situation, I'm just not sure how you can blame the area for that. And if you need to go to 2 different grocery stores to get ingredients for a recipe that must mean you are cooking things the rest of us are not.

As for me I will never base my decision on where to live on politics. I'm thinking those people are taking politics too seriously. The taxes and housing costs are legit complaints. But again you can live on the beach, near 2 major cities, including one of the most beautiful cities in the country in Washington, or you could live in the burbs or even small towns on the edge of the mountains as we do. Maryland is like living in 4 different states all in one little package.. Anyone complaining that Marylanders are not friendly have obviously never been to Mount Airy.
Exactly. Blame yourself for your own personal issues...Not the place of your residence. And that "Nothing to do in or near DC" comment really threw me off as well. Like, seriously????

Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to sound defensive but some of your comments are just hard to understand. "nothing to do near DC other than look at monuments" is just crazy. If you can't find things to do near DC that's on you. Having friends all over the region sounds like a personal situation, I'm just not sure how you can blame the area for that. And if you need to go to 2 different grocery stores to get ingredients for a recipe that must mean you are cooking things the rest of us are not.

As for me I will never base my decision on where to live on politics. I'm thinking those people are taking politics too seriously. The taxes and housing costs are legit complaints. But again you can live on the beach, near 2 major cities, including one of the most beautiful cities in the country in Washington, or you could live in the burbs or even small towns on the edge of the mountains as we do. Maryland is like living in 4 different states all in one little package.. Anyone complaining that Marylanders are not friendly have obviously never been to Mount Airy.
They don't call us 'America In Miniature" for nothing

Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,791 times
PROS: living on the western shore
CONS: living on the eastern shore

Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Boy did this thread veer off course. LOL The OP will never move to Maryland after seeing how we don't seem to get along all that well.

Damn liberals......
LOL Yeah, too bad for OP

Damn conservative dogs smh........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland