Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 AM

376 posts, read 728,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If you seriously can't see the benefits of marriage then I"m not sure you are worth arguing with. Let's start with survivor benefits such as disability, SS; pensions, inheritance as well as child custody; the ability to make medical decisions for the spouse as well as visitation rights only allowed to a spouse; being treated as an economic unit which means joint health, home and auto insurance and it also allows the survivor to have full legal rights of the home and it's contents without legal action.
well Republicans supported some of that stuff for gays for years, like visitation rights ,you just don't know that. That is what "civil unions" is supposed to mean. You could give something like visitation rights to gay couples without it being tied to marriage and the other benefits.

But you didn't counter my arguments at all, which doesn't surprise me. You guys having a talking point about bigotry and you won't get off it no matter what.

Marriage is tied up in religion whether you like it or not, and most religious people see homosexuality as a sin, so obviously they are going to oppose gay marriage. I don't know how you plan to change their mind on that outside of talking them out of their religious beliefs. Good luck with that. LOL

I think marriage was about encouraging men to stay with the women they knocked up. I don't think anybody who doesn't have kids should get government benefits simply for having a sexual relationship with another human being. That is a silly thing for the government to be involved in. And it is discrimination against singles, and people who love each other in non-sexual relationships. If we are going to reward one type of love, we need to reward all the love relationships that exist.

Last edited by BHarrison84; 08-11-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
well Republicans supported some of that stuff for gays for years, like visitation rights ,you just don't know that. That is what "civil unions" is supposed to mean. You could give something like visitation rights to gay couples without it being tied to marriage and the other benefits.

But you didn't counter my arguments at all, which doesn't surprise me. You guys having a talking point about bigotry and you won't get off it no matter what.

Marriage is tied up in religion whether you like it or not, and most religious people see homosexuality as a sin, so obviously they are going to oppose gay marriage. I don't know how you plan to change their mind on that outside of talking them out of their religious beliefs. Good luck with that. LOL

I think marriage was about encouraging men to stay with the women they knocked up. I don't think anybody who doesn't have kids should get government benefits simply for having a sexual relationship with another human being. That is a silly thing for the government to be involved in. And it is discrimination against singles, and people who love each other in non-sexual relationships. If we are going to reward one type of love, we need to reward all the love relationships that exist.
I don't want to turn this into a pissing match and I apologize if I was a bit nasty to you. But if you think marriage is about encouraging men to stay with woman they have knocked up rather than a lifelong bond between 2 committed partners then let's just say that we see things differently.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I don't want to turn this into a pissing match and I apologize if I was a bit nasty to you. But if you think marriage is about encouraging men to stay with woman they have knocked up rather than a lifelong bond between 2 committed partners then let's just say that we see things differently.
Yeah b/c why does government need to reward sexual relationships. Stabilizing families for kids does have a little more societal impact.

I figured throwing out some arguments poking holes in the pro-gay marriage positions would be similar to dropping a nuclear bomb on Hiroshima, in the Maryland forum given the politics of the state. LOL So far, really all quiet on the western front. I suspect when Monday comes it might blow up some but we probably shouldn't discuss this on the pros and cons thread.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And once again some perspective:

Those colors looked nothing like the Gerrymandered map during the election.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And once again some perspective:

Green for Marriage Equality Act, red opposed.

As a note, PhenomenalAJ labels anyone who disagrees with his ultra-left wing politics a right wing nut job. Usually he calls them mouth breathing, toothless, inbred hicks also.

Exactly what "perspective" does your map provide? Using the old Republican trick that counties representing a larger portion of geographic space reflect the actual will of the people rather than actual democratic electoral process? I guess you have to find someway to console yourself after Obama being reelected and coming to the realization that Maryland will never become 1950s Mississippi. If you consider respecting the dignity of human beings being able to marry to be "ultra left wing" than you can have fun in your echo chamber while the world moves forward without you.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:14 PM

353 posts, read 458,790 times
From a MD native:

Pros
Seafood
Fishing/crabbing
Lots of cool museums/baltimore aquarium

Cons
liberal
too much traffic
too expensive
crime rates
cold winters
ridiculous alcohol tax

Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Exactly what "perspective" does your map provide? Using the old Republican trick that counties representing a larger portion of geographic space reflect the actual will of the people rather than actual democratic electoral process? I guess you have to find someway to console yourself after Obama being reelected and coming to the realization that Maryland will never become 1950s Mississippi. If you consider respecting the dignity of human beings being able to marry to be "ultra left wing" than you can have fun in your echo chamber while the world moves forward without you.
You are so incredibly obtuse it's breath taking. You get on here with all your "MD is universally liberal in the entire state". What the map shows is geographically that isn't so.

Interesting article in yesterday's Post concerning inequality in the limosine Liberal areas of Montgomery County.

Thank you for not calling me a mouth breather this time. I'll cop to toothless, though. Amazing things sometimes happen when you spend some time in the military.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM

I thought Frederick was fairly conservative. Even had a conservative local radio host who then ran for local political office. I was surprised by that considering how close Frederick is to MC.

I think it is fairly obvious that the western and eastern parts of the state away from DC and Baltimore are more conservative.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:14 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
I thought Frederick was fairly conservative. Even had a conservative local radio host who then ran for local political office. I was surprised by that considering how close Frederick is to MC.

I think it is fairly obvious that the western and eastern parts of the state away from DC and Baltimore are more conservative.
Frederick and Montgomery Counties are 2 very different places.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Boy did this thread veer off course. LOL The OP will never move to Maryland after seeing how we don't seem to get along all that well.

Damn liberals......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland