Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 PM

50 posts, read 166,853 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I've been reading these posts for over a month now and wanted to finally send out my own info request.

We are considering moving to the Annapolis area next summer and I am probably flying out to check out the area soon. We will more than likely be looking to rent a home until we decide on where we want to live. My husband is an airline pilot and would be flying out of Regan airport.
we actually looked at Boston...New Hampshire first...toooooo cooled for me. I don't mind seasons and I love humid summers but long, drawn out cold winters are not my thing at all.

We have a 6 year old so schools super important to us.

~ Great public schools (nearby). and would prefer to be able to walk or ride bikes to school and have a school where parents are very involved.

Ideally, I'd like to find:
~ A great community, with some property on or near water. We love our home in the bay area of Cali but properties..land very small. Plus community events like festivals, etc.

~ A nice walking area with restaurants, shops close to the beach and nice shady parks with play equipment for little ones.

~ Culture - as in theatre, art, dance, music...anything really.

~ Safe community (as in, I can come home at night by myself with my daughter and not be in fear that someone is going to mug me before I get into my house) -

~ Healthy natural food shopping nearby…I love Whole Foods, Trader Joes and buying local produce.

We are currently living in our custom home and will probably rent it out until we figure out exactly where we want to live. We are hoping for $3500-4000 / month in rent or 2500 sf cottage that is new or we can renovate for around $800-850k.

We love water activities, Cafes, eateries, bakeries...really love a walk able town with a real sense of a town centre. I don't mind living in the burbs but don't want to drive more than 10 minutes to be in my town centre.

Am I asking too much?

Wife of JetBlue pilot
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 AM

92 posts, read 429,111 times
Price wise, culture wise, and school wise, Annapolis area sounds like a good fit. The only thing you may not find is the walkability you are looking for. If you want something on or near water, you will probably have to drive/bus the kids to school. Unless you get lucky and find a nice home in Annapolis itself, you'll be definitely more than 10 minutes from the town center. In general the area (Annapolis and most of central MD) is not very walkable unless you're in the middle of the town itself. Most things you need/want are not far away, but usually too far to walk regularly.

But don't let me or anyone else dissuade you. Its a great area to live. Look around yourself and see what you can find, you may find the prefect fit.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM

206 posts, read 570,816 times
Here you go! A reminder of symbiosis between Chesapeake Bay and Annapolis. How about a 28" snowfall? Sorry, I couldn't resist. But it is a reminder that Mother Nature can go to the extreme in the area. Your list seems to be a good match for Annapolis itself. You are not asking too much. I lived there for over a decade. A fairly long commute to Reagan though.
Attached Thumbnails
Help...Advice on move to Annapolis...-myannapolis.jpg  

Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Annapolis is great with a downtown area similar to what you have there
but... Commuting to Reagan won't be very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: