Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:19 AM

5 posts, read 12,960 times

Advertisements

We would be relocating from MA. We'd like to stay in the southern/mid region...I have read some said to stay away from York county, which is, of course where we were looking.
Can anyone tell me anything about Shapleigh, Alfred, Acton? Or how about southern Oxford County in general?

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2007, 08:44 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,941,122 times
Why are you thinking of moving to Maine? That is probably the most important piece of information before you even start thinking about ANY county in Maine.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Why are you thinking of moving to Maine? That is probably the most important piece of information before you even start thinking about ANY county in Maine.

Well, the main reason is we want to move away from our busy area. We would like trees, land etc. We don't want to move too far north (is what we are thinking right now) so that our family can still visit. My husband has applied for a couple of jobs in Portland....everything, of course would depend on him getting a job. We are just talking/thinking/investigating now and are at least a year out of actually making a move if we do. We've got relatives in Ellsworth, but don't want to be that far north.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:49 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,941,122 times
So, it appears that you want to live near the city but just not YOUR present city? Getting a job is the deciding factor for you if I understand you correctly, so that will mean that you will have to be within twenty miles or so of whereever that is. If your husband finds work in Portland, you will probably want to live within Cumberland County. The more southern York County or Oxford County will involve too much driving and travel time to make living and working there practical although a lot of people drive two hours per day each way in order to travel to work.

If your husband is a professional, there may be good positions in any of the larger towns, and perhaps you should come to Maine and do more exploring before deciding that you need to live in the southwestern portions only. The areas that you have mentioned are among the most expensive places to live in Maine from a real estate standpoint. Ellsworth is "affordable" still, but anywhere along the coast will be more expensive than inland...and the population density and therefore the jobs in most cases will lie within a narrow band of about 30 miles from the coast.

Come and spend more time in Maine...and if you can stay with family in the Ellsworth area, do so. Then from there explore from Ellsworth to Machias to Bangor, and you might find something that you like.

Incidentally, Ellsworth is actually east from where you are. The Maine coast really runs northeast and southwest. Hence the term "downeast". North in Maine is up to the top of the state.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 AM

Actually, we have spent a fair amount of time in Maine already. We've driven through a lot of the southern towns inland (we don't want to move to the coast at all)...we liked Sanford and the surrounding community but then we read on here that it was going downhill. I think that is why we, in our preparations want to hear from the locals or from those who are "in the know" about the towns I had mentioned......Because driving through and actually living there are 2 different things. There are "nice" communities around where we live now, but if you asked for specifics about the town we'd be able to give you a clearer picture, KWIM?

I do appreciate your thoughtful input! Thanks!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,104,977 times
I saw the post about Sanford and confess I don't understand it. The poster sounded like s/he had a serious axe to grind. The Springvale side of Sanford is quite attractive IMO, and the entire area is part of the general boom in Southern Maine. If you want to stay close to the coast, Saco is nice and not overpriced, and Biddeford is in the middle of an upward trend after being down int he dumps for decades. I've heard good things about the Berwicks, but can't speak to them personally.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 24,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoMaine View Post
We would be relocating from MA. We'd like to stay in the southern/mid region...I have read some said to stay away from York county, which is, of course where we were looking.
Can anyone tell me anything about Shapleigh, Alfred, Acton? Or how about southern Oxford County in general?

Thanks!
Southwest of Portland (across the pike) has some very nice areas. Southern Oxford county, although growing, still has some beautiful rural areas. Obviously, don't believe everything you read on any forum :-> You might take a Gazetteer, map out a bunch of sightseeing routes within commutable distance from Portland, and discover which places appeal to you. Talking with locals and realtors in different towns will give you an idea of best and worst commuting routes. Buy local papers and read them online to get a good flavor of the towns, their challenges and interests. Think hard about the kind of town/scenery/activities/conveniences/houses you like.
Oh, and be sure to investigate things like property tax rates and insurance rates as you search. Some parts of Maine are cheaper to live in than MA. Some parts are MORE expensive than MA (i.e., Mid-coast) when you factor in all the costs of living, and your take-home pay is likely to be less than in MA. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:23 AM

104 posts, read 467,866 times
I'm thinking of going to Maine from NH out of financial desperation. It seems so much more affordable, but does the state income tax make it about the same? At least property taxes are not going to jack up your mortgage by 3-400. per month! I really like the town of Shapleigh. Schools are supposed to be good too. Nice town with great lakes and recreational opportunities, yet a very rural feel and only 10-15 min. to Sanford.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,729,547 times
Hey earth, I think maine has extremely high prop taxes. It started in the more metro areas and over the last 5 years it appears even the more rural towns are catching up. There has been referendums in the past 2 major elections where property tax was a driving factor. be sure to look carefully.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:27 AM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Hey earth, I think maine has extremely high prop taxes. It started in the more metro areas and over the last 5 years it appears even the more rural towns are catching up. There has been referendums in the past 2 major elections where property tax was a driving factor. be sure to look carefully.

I agree.

I pay $47 a year on my 42 acres of river front woodlot.

Property taxes are very high.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine