Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 PM

277 posts, read 891,260 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I just bought my first motorcycle today, its a 1982 Honda CM250. It is EXTREMELY clean and nice for the year. Now I'm headed out to get my permit, wondering if anyone here has gone for their permit recently and would have any advice on which route to take for getting my permit and license. My father in law is telling me to just goto the DMV and that I can take my permit test right there and walk out with my permit, then get my license later on. I've been thinking about shelling out the $350 for the Saturday/Sunday course as you get your license when you walk out of there.

Any advice?

-Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
You HAVE to take a motorcycle safety course now before they will give you a permit. It used to be you could walk in and take a permit test at the DMV but no more. You will need to find a motorcycle safety course at a driving school, or a motorcycle shop. It will cost you between $50 and $80 and it takes at least eight hours. You then have to ride the bike for a couple of months before you send in for your date for the road test.
The road test is pretty easy. If you want to bypass all of this stuff you can take a comprehensive course that will issue a road test during the weekend long course. They're hard to get in to and cost about $250.00- $350 as you stated.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 PM

277 posts, read 891,260 times
Oh wow, glad to know that piece of information regarding the safety course and no longer being able to go just walk in and get a permit. I have done a lot of research online and never came across that little tidbit!

I'm seriously thinking about just doing the comprehensive course, there is a place just down the road that does the course but at $350 price tag seems so steep.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:20 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
Oh wow, glad to know that piece of information regarding the safety course and no longer being able to go just walk in and get a permit. I have done a lot of research online and never came across that little tidbit!

I'm seriously thinking about just doing the comprehensive course, there is a place just down the road that does the course but at $350 price tag seems so steep.
My stepson did the comprehensive course two weeks ago.
He said it was a piece of cake. His course cost $250.00 He said they spent a lot of time on the bikes. He had to sign up in May to get in the course in July maybe the summer rush to get a course is over by now though. I got several permits over the years by just walking in to the DMV and taking the test. I guess a lot of people did so they made the safety course manditory. Also if you do not take the road test within a year you have to take the safety course all over again before you can take the road test. Congratulations on the bike! Get it on the road! I have a 2007 Triumph Bonneville, a 1973 Yamaha 175 Enduro, and a Puch moped. I like riding all of them !

Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,122 times
$350 is steep, i have a motorcycle permited on my Florida driver license, wonder if i can retain the permit with out that expense. it use to be if you have FL driver license you can ride bike or boat with the same license, some years it required seperate permit for bike, and if you own bike at that time it grandfather in to driver license automaticly.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
$350 is steep, i have a motorcycle permited on my Florida driver license, wonder if i can retain the permit with out that expense. it use to be if you have FL driver license you can ride bike or boat with the same license, some years it required seperate permit for bike, and if you own bike at that time it grandfather in to driver license automaticly.
Yes you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle permit to your Maine license without taking the course.

Maine has no boating license yet.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Take the course!! a friend of ours just completed his and said it's definitely the best way to go--quicker and more comprehensive than doing the permit thing.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post

When I took mine, in TX in the 90s it was $100 but I would still recommend that course at any price. In fact, I think everyone on the road should take it whether they ride, drive or walk! It is the best and most informative driving course I have ever seen. Of course I don't know what they teach cops and such, but for regular folks... it took me 3 tries to pass (they did not charge for repeat attempts... )not all of which were my "fault" (I had to bus to the classes and the busses in TX, even when you plan for them to mess up, mess up WORSE making connections!) but in the end I was determined to keep coming back until they passed me just to get rid of me! LOL

It will make you a better and more safe biker (of course you will need time on the road, but having taking the course will likely keep you ALIVE to get that experience!) and better driver on 4-wheels as well.

DO IT. I can't yell that loud enough...

Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 AM

105 posts, read 286,660 times
I took the one day safety course and then spent the majority of the summer (a few years ago) riding on my permit before going for my license. To me it wasn't worth the extra cost to have my license right away, and I wansn't planning on riding at night anyhow.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,792 times
Taking the two day course will save you on your insurance as well. Well, I know through Geico it will because I had looked into it myself, but haven't gone out and done any of it yet. So may cost more but it will save you money also in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine