Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:27 PM

277 posts, read 892,002 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'm definitely leaning toward the 2 day course...I just have to justify in my mind the cash I have to pay out for the course. I am very excited to get out and get riding around. There have been so many car/motorcycle accidents this summer that I am quite nervous about riding, but hopefully that will help keep me off the pavement! Thank you to everyone who shared information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:17 AM

502 posts, read 1,736,378 times
"Mainah" covered it pretty well. IN maine, you now have to take the MMSEC - Maine Motorcycle Safety Education Course. I teach this course through a driver ed school in greater portland area. The course is 8 hours with a short written exam at the end. It will give you your permit to ride. You will be required to wear a helmet, no passenger, no nighttime, and in state only.

Submit to DMV for a test date, and then test to get the license. They follow you in a car and beep the horn to make you turn and stop. It is very easy and should only take about 10 minutes to test.

Best way is the weekend course. this entails two 8 hour days - covering the mmsec and spending 8 hours on small bikes in a parking lot. They teach you how to ride safely. End of the weekend you take a short driving test in the parking lot and if you pass get your license. This is by far the best way to do it, but probably won't find any open classes at this point in the summer. They also offer experienced rider courses - I am taking one for the third time ( you always learn something good and new in the course ).

United Bikers of Maine ( UBM Home ) has a list of schools on its website.

Welcome to the club - and keep the shiny side up.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:43 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
Yeah I'm definitely leaning toward the 2 day course...I just have to justify in my mind the cash I have to pay out for the course. I am very excited to get out and get riding around. There have been so many car/motorcycle accidents this summer that I am quite nervous about riding, but hopefully that will help keep me off the pavement! Thank you to everyone who shared information!
Consider the money you'll save on gasoline by riding the bike. My pick'em up truck gets 11 mpg, my bike gets 50 mpg. Even *I* can do that math. Cost of gas being what it is now, it won't take that long to recover the cost of the course, even if your other choice was a car that got 25 mpg.

Welcome to the club.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,636 times
this send me back to the late 70, we were 1 car family, any trip is 2 round trips. wife have to drop me off and pick me up after work. i ride motorcycle to save money for a while. that was a fun time, ride through the rain, those rain drop feel like needles pick on skin, those acorn or fruit seeds drop on head while ride under buatiful trees line street.
when school and work get you down just took the bike on the turnpike and feel the wind, that feel good.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 AM

1,666 posts, read 4,369,025 times
Also worth following up with your insurance company....many of them will recognize a formal training course and it'll get you a discount on your premium...

Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
this send me back to the late 70, we were 1 car family, any trip is 2 round trips. wife have to drop me off and pick me up after work. i ride motorcycle to save money for a while. that was a fun time, ride through the rain, those rain drop feel like needles pick on skin, those acorn or fruit seeds drop on head while ride under buatiful trees line street.
when school and work get you down just took the bike on the turnpike and feel the wind, that feel good.
Oh yeah this reminds me that all new licensed motorcycle riders MUST wear a helmet for the first year they have their license. Also you cannot operate after dark on a permit.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM

277 posts, read 892,002 times
Haha thanks guys...I can't wait to get out on the road. I will definitely be saving some money on gas, my vehicle gets about 22 mpg so driving a bike that gets upwards of 60 mpg will be a huge savings. It will be especially good for those trips around town and to families house. I'm especially looking forward to the trips to Bar Harbor and around Cadilliac Mountain!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
You'll have a good time....good luck with it!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:26 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
I'm cracking up at the thought of you two UBM members. Isn't it about the time for Stoney's Lobster Run? I'm thinking it's usually around the end of July.

Thanks for the memories....

Old 04-27-2009, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,872 times
Hello.. I am new and I have a 'quick' question. I am a Mainer living in Exile. I have a Trike here in Ca that does not require a bike license. I am going home to Maine this summer and do not want to ship the trike home... I was wondering if I can use a Ca Bike Permit there even if I am only visiting... OR if I can get one in Maine for the time I am there.. about a month .. If anyone knows the answer or how I can find out ... please email me at: meinca@sbcglobal.net Thank you Arlene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine