Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 01:34 PM

136 posts, read 153,217 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have been looking at either NH or Maine for awhile now. We are mid 40's so would still have to work. Looking for a life that is property on a forested setting with about 5 or more acres. I do shoot rimfires a lot so I need to be somewhere that isn't a problem. I would be able to pay cash for my home/land as long as its $500k or less. I live in Great Falls currently and am tired of the constant wind in colder 6 months of the year. Its challenging to do much outside when the 20 or more mph winds never stop. I would prefer country style living within a 20 or less minute drive to work, stores, and hospital. Are my expectations unreasonable? I currently work in sales of construction products with a specialized knowledge of many products so I would be a very good fit for the right place or even do my own business isn't ruled out. Are folks of Maine welcoming of outsiders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 05:24 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,422,687 times
What makes you think Maine does not have "constant wind in colder 6 months of the year"?

Why not consider a location less far north?

Although Maine has a slightly larger population than Montana, Montana has a few cities larger than any in Maine. Great Falls is almost as large as Portland, Maine's largest city, for example.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What makes you think Maine does not have "constant wind in colder 6 months of the year"?

Why not consider a location less far north?

Although Maine has a slightly larger population than Montana, Montana has a few cities larger than any in Maine. Great Falls is almost as large as Portland, Maine's largest city, for example.

Based on wind data charts Great Falls is substantially more windy than moat of the area of Maine.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:39 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Hello everyone. I have been looking at either NH or Maine for awhile now. We are mid 40's so would still have to work. Looking for a life that is property on a forested setting with about 5 or more acres. I do shoot rimfires a lot so I need to be somewhere that isn't a problem. I would be able to pay cash for my home/land as long as its $500k or less. I live in Great Falls currently and am tired of the constant wind in colder 6 months of the year. Its challenging to do much outside when the 20 or more mph winds never stop. I would prefer country style living within a 20 or less minute drive to work, stores, and hospital. Are my expectations unreasonable? I currently work in sales of construction products with a specialized knowledge of many products so I would be a very good fit for the right place or even do my own business isn't ruled out. Are folks of Maine welcoming of outsiders?
Maine is different than Montana. Based on what you have written, so far, things you should be aware of:

Maine does not have 6 months of cold and wind, but it definitely gets winter. Most years we get our first real snow around Thanksgiving and we don't see the ground again till at least March. But it's really only BITTERLY cold in January and February. This year (thanks to El Nino?) it's weird. We've had one snow, which already melted, and it has been in the upper 40s or low 50s more often than not. First year we have not had a white Christmas in a long time. Next year...? Who knows? We could have a foot of snow by December 1st. Every winter is a bit different.

Maine really only has 5 cities: Portland (the largest and busiest), Augusta (the capitol), Bangor (the last city before you hit really rural Maine), and Lewiston/Auburn (technically two different towns by they are right next to each other, divided only by the river).

Most of the people live in the south and along the coast. In fact, I don't even consider towns south of Portland as being in Maine. Culturally, they are northern Massachusetts. Once you get north of Bangor, the population nosedives --- and I mean that as a sincere compliment.

I say all that to let you know if you are wanting to be within 20 minutes of a city, those are your choices. If you are careful, you can easily find a very nice home for $500k anywhere north of Portland. A mansion? No. But you can get a nice home.

Lots of Mainers are hunters, so in terms of rimfires, as long as you are considerate of your neighbors, you shouldn't have a problem.

Are Mainers welcoming of outsiders? Yes. Absolutely. But you have to keep in mind two things:

First and most importantly, don't come to Maine and expect it to be like where you came from. Maine is Maine. People like it that way. People who move here from New York or Massachusetts and want to turn it into New York or Massachusetts may not find a warm welcome. Be respectful and helpful to your neighbors, and 99.999% of them will do the same to you. Case in point:

Yesterday during the big storm, two trees fell across our street, and a lady couldn't get to her house. I was out there with my saw trying to clear the road, and within 3 minutes two of my neighbors and another guy who was just out walking his dog came over to help. I didn't even have to ask. People just saw someone in need and showed up.

Two, Maine is different from the West. It's something my mom had a very hard time getting used to. Out west, she is used to walking up to perfect strangers in the grocery store, striking up a conversation, and within 30 seconds asking personal details of their life. You don't do that in Maine. That freaks people out. It's perfectly fine to strike up a converstation with someone, but don't ask them personal questions until you get to know them a bit. Respect those boundaries, and once you get to know them, those boundaries will come down.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:46 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Maine is different than Montana. Based on what you have written, so far, things you should be aware of:

Maine does not have 6 months of cold and wind, but it definitely gets winter. Most years we get our first real snow around Thanksgiving and we don't see the ground again till at least March. But it's really only BITTERLY cold in January and February. This year (thanks to El Nino?) it's weird. We've had one snow, which already melted, and it has been in the upper 40s or low 50s more often than not. First year we have not had a white Christmas in a long time. Next year...? Who knows? We could have a foot of snow by December 1st. Every winter is a bit different.

Maine really only has 5 cities: Portland (the largest and busiest), Augusta (the capitol), Bangor (the last city before you hit really rural Maine), and Lewiston/Auburn (technically two different towns by they are right next to each other, divided only by the river).

Most of the people live in the south and along the coast. In fact, I don't even consider towns south of Portland as being in Maine. Culturally, they are northern Massachusetts. Once you get north of Bangor, the population nosedives --- and I mean that as a sincere compliment.

I say all that to let you know if you are wanting to be within 20 minutes of a city, those are your choices. If you are careful, you can easily find a very nice home for $500k anywhere north of Portland. A mansion? No. But you can get a nice home.

Lots of Mainers are hunters, so in terms of rimfires, as long as you are considerate of your neighbors, you shouldn't have a problem.

Are Mainers welcoming of outsiders? Yes. Absolutely. But you have to keep in mind two things:

First and most importantly, don't come to Maine and expect it to be like where you came from. Maine is Maine. People like it that way. People who move here from New York or Massachusetts and want to turn it into New York or Massachusetts may not find a warm welcome. Be respectful and helpful to your neighbors, and 99.999% of them will do the same to you. Case in point:

Yesterday during the big storm, two trees fell across our street, and a lady couldn't get to her house. I was out there with my saw trying to clear the road, and within 3 minutes two of my neighbors and another guy who was just out walking his dog came over to help. I didn't even have to ask. People just saw someone in need and showed up.

Two, Maine is different from the West. It's something my mom had a very hard time getting used to. Out west, she is used to walking up to perfect strangers in the grocery store, striking up a conversation, and within 30 seconds asking personal details of their life. You don't do that in Maine. That freaks people out. It's perfectly fine to strike up a converstation with someone, but don't ask them personal questions until you get to know them a bit. Respect those boundaries, and once you get to know them, those boundaries will come down.
I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks

Old 12-19-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:

That was some very solid info. Thank you. I have no intentions on changing other people. I just want to make sure I would hireable as a non local. Some places are funny about that. I kind like to mind my own business and prefer others do the same. Not into people being really nosy.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:30 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
It looks like Great Falls is east of the Rockies, in what's basically the western edge of the Great Plains. Most of Maine is heavily forested, which helps to knock down the wind.

Since you work in sales of construction products, I imagine you'd want to live where there's some fair construction activity, yes? A good portion of the state in the north west and north central parts of the state is largely privately owned, but is not being actively developed. Vast tracts of land are owned by a relatively few land-owning corporations - it used to be timber and paper companies, and now it's (the related) real estate investment trusts (REITs) or timber investment management organizations (TIMOs). Fortunately, there is a long tradition of these land-owners providing recreational access to these lands. Anyways, if you're looking for construction activity, that's not your best bet ;-).

Old 12-19-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It looks like Great Falls is east of the Rockies, in what's basically the western edge of the Great Plains. Most of Maine is heavily forested, which helps to knock down the wind.

Since you work in sales of construction products, I imagine you'd want to live where there's some fair construction activity, yes? A good portion of the state in the north west and north central parts of the state is largely privately owned, but is not being actively developed. Vast tracts of land are owned by a relatively few land-owning corporations - it used to be timber and paper companies, and now it's (the related) real estate investment trusts (REITs) or timber investment management organizations (TIMOs). Fortunately, there is a long tradition of these land-owners providing recreational access to these lands. Anyways, if you're looking for construction activity, that's not your best bet ;-).

Thanks. I was kind of looking closer to cities so I am within reasonable distance to ammenities and medical.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:53 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
I just want to make sure I would hireable as a non local.
I can't really speak about the construction industry. I just don't have much experience in that field. Although I will say that the crew who put a new roof on my house were all from Ecuador, and they did a great job.

But I work with lots of people who are not from Maine. It's a small company with about 40 employees, and probably at least half of them are "from away." I work with people from Long Island, Colorado, North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri, and up until a few years ago we even had an employee from Nigeria. There are certainly people around whose family has been in Maine for generations. But there are lots of newcomers as well.

Will you occassionally run into the stereotypical stand-offish rude Maineah? Yeah. Live here long enough and you'll find at least one. You'll even run into the occasionally truly committed a-hole. But they are in the EXTREME minority. They are not the typical.

Quote:
Some places are funny about that. I kind like to mind my own business and prefer others do the same. Not into people being really nosy.
You sound like a Mainer already.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:42 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Will you occassionally run into the stereotypical stand-offish rude Maineah? Yeah. Live here long enough and you'll find at least one. You'll even run into the occasionally truly committed a-hole. But they are in the EXTREME minority. They are not the typical.
I guess it's all a matter of comparisons. As a tourist from New York, I never encountered a rude resident of Maine. After living in Massachusetts for nine years, I found the residents of Maine are open and downright friendly! Of course, I've only been to the tourist areas of Peaks Island, Bar Harbor, York, Kennebunkport, Freeport, etc. It may be different inland away from the tourists, but it can't be as bad as Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine