Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 06:50 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

I am creating this thread with the same goals as Last1Standing - it should be focused on ideas for small (roughly 500-1,000 sq ft) and modestly priced (say $300K max, and the lower the better) houses. This is intended for inspiration and practical assistance for people who have some real interest in actually building or buying such a place.

Examples of helpful, topical posts would be:
- ads for existing small houses for sale
- developments focused on small houses
- developers focused on small houses
- info on your small house building or remodeling project
- just showing off your small house in photos
- clever designs or construction features for small houses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 10:10 AM

I will start us off with this ad for one side of a small duplex house, brandy new, single level living and with an attached garage. It is a condo, but HOA fees are minimal as such go - $124/mo. It is out in Bridgeton, which has some shopping and services in town - like a supermarket and a community hospital, and there are several lakes nearby for outdoor recreation.

https://www.trulia.com/p/me/bridgton...09--2564607496

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-25-2022 at 10:28 AM..

Old 01-25-2022, 12:17 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am creating this thread with the same goals as Last1Standing - it should be focused on ideas for small (roughly 500-1,000 sq ft) and modestly priced (say $300K max, and the lower the better) houses. This is intended for inspiration and practical assistance for people who have some real interest in actually building or buying such a place.

Examples of helpful, topical posts would be:
- ads for existing small houses for sale
- developments focused on small houses
- developers focused on small houses
- info on your small house building or remodeling project
- just showing off your small house in photos
- clever designs or construction features for small houses
Just a note on this thread. This forum is for Maine related stuff. Small house threads really belong in the House forum, unless it is directly Maine related.

I'll get off the soap box now.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:42 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I believe the implication is small houses in Maine.

If the topic were in real estate there would be way too many listings.

However you could point out your feelings to a Mod. They have the final say.

Old 01-25-2022, 05:04 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
So, I know Maine has become more tiny house friendly, but can individual communities reject them? Is it on a town-by-town basis?

Old 01-25-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
So, I know Maine has become more tiny house friendly, but can individual communities reject them? Is it on a town-by-town basis?
Certainly individual towns in Maine have their own zoning regulations - that is the norm. I don't think it's very common though, to rule out tiny houses - so long as they are on a conventional foundation and have normal utilities anyway. Those ones that are on a metal trailer have some things in common with mobile homes - I am just guessing, but I suspect those are more likely to be restricted, at least to certain neighborhoods, in some towns.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:11 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Not 100% sure on this, but I believe Maine passed a law last year allowing for tiny homes (and similar) being regulated as standard size homes. This means that they are allowed in all communities throughout Maine as long as they pass local and state codes. That said, there is no timeline for implementation for this law, and it is up to each municipality to amend they zoning regs when they see fit to do so.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:21 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I believe the implication is small houses in Maine.

If the topic were in real estate there would be way too many listings.

However you could point out your feelings to a Mod. They have the final say.
You are correct, the implication is for Maine, however most of the comments are general, and it would definitely fit in the house forum.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:27 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
A couple of years ago, I logged onto Zillow and I figured out how to get it to perform a search for me and to email me the results once a week.

I still receive its search results.

I was starting a thread on this forum, for everytime that I came across a particularly low priced home.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...a-1-257-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...a-7-560-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...a-1-365-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...a-1-794-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...ft-asking.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...angor-49k.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...a-1-480-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/bango...brewer-me.html

But then the Mods changed and a new Mod decided to delete my threads.

So I assume that we are no longer allowed to share what low priced homes we find?

Old 01-26-2022, 01:18 PM

603 posts, read 622,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Just a note on this thread. This forum is for Maine related stuff. Small house threads really belong in the House forum, unless it is directly Maine related.

I'll get off the soap box now.

I started the original small house thread. Reason: I want to move to Maine and buy a small house. This topic is very directly related to Maine because:
  1. The number of houses for sale has shrunk during the pandemic. Therefore anyone who really wants to move to Maine needs to get creative to find housing. For me that means a small house.
  2. After searching the market diligently for two years, I figured out that there are more or less NO small, recent houses in good condition on the market in Maine. Thus if you want one, you probably have to get it built. That raises all kinds of valid topics like Maine builders, the cost of lumber in Maine, small house designs that will work in Maine, small house co-ops, buying land, etc.
  3. Maine has an aging population. Seniors are more likely to need smaller houses.
You do have a point that anyone who is interested mainly in small house designs from an architectural standpoint could post elsewhere. Personally, I'm interested in all the topics that will lead me to buying a small house in Maine, which does include designs. A number of links have been posted to small house designs from Maine modular house builders. I find those helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine