Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 02:23 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoMass2019 View Post
Have you considered Lubec for a coffee shop?

While the town can't sustain higher-end dining year round, locals would love a place to get coffee, easy pickups, and you could even stock baked goods from the local bakers who sell at the Farmer's Market.

And, you'd have a huge influx in the summer for Summer Keys.
I was thinking the same thing re cost tiers - summer visitors are on vacation and will therefore tend to be more loose with their cash on a one-off trip where the goal is to enjoy, locals will be looking for a regular thing that's a good value.

This situation isn't a paradox though - you could have some simpler value items like bagels, donuts, simple ham & egg breakfast sandwiches and regular coffee for those looking for value, then some fancier coffee drinks with mix-ins and flaky pastries for those willing to spend a little more for something special.

I think the ideal thing would be to be able to serve a range of customer desires, without of course making things too complicated with too many choices. I haven't run a restaurant, but I do like to cook and I do like to eat, and I think you want to stick to a modest variety that you can cope with and focus on making things well, rather than just making something. Even simple foods, like a plain cake donut, can be really good if they are done well.

Just my $0.02, and probably not even worth that Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 02:43 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
This situation isn't a paradox though - you could have some simpler value items like bagels, donuts, simple ham & egg breakfast sandwiches and regular coffee for those looking for value, then some fancier coffee drinks with mix-ins and flaky pastries for those willing to spend a little more for something special.
Add cookies, bread, toast bar, and muffins to that list and you have the menu from a coffee house that operated in Calais for a while. They had a line out out the door on a regular basis. They didn't bake anything in house. There was competition with a cafe down the street but their menus and style were different so it worked.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:15 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Add cookies, bread, toast bar, and muffins to that list and you have the menu from a coffee house that operated in Calais for a while. They had a line out out the door on a regular basis. They didn't bake anything in house. There was competition with a cafe down the street but their menus and style were different so it worked.
It sounds like they were doing well, so do you know why they closed?

I love small local coffee houses. Hope to visit Maine next year ... retirement is coming in June!

Old 12-13-2020, 10:31 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
Most of the empty stores have turned into pot stores now that it is legal. I think I’ve counted 5. The Urban Moose is a nice property that will be available after Christmas. I think some folks are selling seasonal items there until after the holidays. There was a really nice coffee shop last year but it went out of business for some reason. It was always full when I went there. To be honest it’s been like a ghost town since the border closed around here. Good luck and let us know what you decide. If you have to remodel don’t use any local contractors. Get them from Machias. They don’t come to work, don’t finish what you pay them for. Building contracts aren’t worth the paper they are written on in Maine. Basically they can drive one nail and keep your money. I have learned carpentry from YouTube.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:17 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
It sounds like they were doing well, so do you know why they closed?
I do. I supplied their bread and pastry for a while. It was a poor business model.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:07 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Most of the empty stores have turned into pot stores now that it is legal. I think I’ve counted 5. The Urban Moose is a nice property that will be available after Christmas. I think some folks are selling seasonal items there until after the holidays. There was a really nice coffee shop last year but it went out of business for some reason. It was always full when I went there. To be honest it’s been like a ghost town since the border closed around here. Good luck and let us know what you decide. If you have to remodel don’t use any local contractors. Get them from Machias. They don’t come to work, don’t finish what you pay them for. Building contracts aren’t worth the paper they are written on in Maine. Basically they can drive one nail and keep your money. I have learned carpentry from YouTube.
I have heard that term before, that goes for most professions I have worked with in Maine, Lawyers, Real Estate Agents, Doctors. It's like anything any where, trust your gut if something just doesn't feel right about someone.

To the OP, have you ever watched Schitt's Creek?

Old 12-14-2020, 06:18 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's open. DH was there last weekend after our washing machine had a nervous smoke down.
Good to see Calais got another laundromat after we were running around town two years ago trying to figure out where the laundromat was.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:16 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The laundromat is still open. I would try to do your business in Calais because you can draw people from from a larger area. Eastport is a pretty location, but it is sort of out of the way for down there, at the end of a side road.
Sorry for the delay in response to everyones insightful comments. Happy New Year!

Thank you for the comfirmation. Your thoughts regarding Eastport mirror my views. To be fair, I am not a local so didn't want to make assumptions. It sounds like Calais is the optimal location.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I’d be looking at prompto
Oil changing along with tire change- overs

Downeasters are very fickle consumers
.. many coastal towns are a tale of two cities the hard working resourceful locals
And the artsy out of staters or tourists...
I grew up in a small coastal town .. and even if a local could afford
A 4 dollar expresso... they wouldn’t squander on such foolishness

Calais is the commercial center of all towns
Mentioned- not dependent on tourism ...
This past summer tourism was not even half because of the viral
Apocalypse in many places
Thank you for the inights. I have a bit of an understanding regaridng the local vs. out of staters/tourists as my friend (and by extension his family/friends) are strictly on the local side. Which is why I am confident on this joint venture. Not to mention the level of trust/competence I have in the friend

Old 01-06-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I was thinking the same thing re cost tiers - summer visitors are on vacation and will therefore tend to be more loose with their cash on a one-off trip where the goal is to enjoy, locals will be looking for a regular thing that's a good value.

I think the ideal thing would be to be able to serve a range of customer desires, without of course making things too complicated with too many choices. I haven't run a restaurant, but I do like to cook and I do like to eat, and I think you want to stick to a modest variety that you can cope with and focus on making things well, rather than just making something. Even simple foods, like a plain cake donut, can be really good if they are done well.

Just my $0.02, and probably not even worth that Good luck!
Much appreciate the comments and they are certainly worth a lot more than $0.02 to me!

I agree with you regarding trying to appeal to a wide range of customers, however my strong lean/confirmed by my friend is to cater to the locals, as we'd like a consistent year round business rather than reliance on tourism dollars. One interesting item bring up: Would you all consider Canadians crossing over to Calais (prior to COVID), tourists or local equivalent? I am wondering about this as they would likely be consistent customers yet don't neccesarily live in the area.

The coffee shop example is great -- we're still tossing around ideas. Maybe the goal would be to make it 'cute-sy' enough for the tourists yet offer value on the staple items you have identified? I think it's doable if the margins are strong. Lots to consider!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine