Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 09:19 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoMass2019 View Post
Have you considered Lubec for a coffee shop?

While the town can't sustain higher-end dining year round, locals would love a place to get coffee, easy pickups, and you could even stock baked goods from the local bakers who sell at the Farmer's Market.

And, you'd have a huge influx in the summer for Summer Keys.
Lubec is a good choice. A must-stop for people going to Campobello, Quoddy lighthouses... They have a great brewhouse restaurant there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 10:40 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Is the laundry mat still open? I had heard that it closed... I'll have to check this weekend.
Yes, please let me know your thoughts. I wonder if the laundromat closure was linked to the pandemic or something else?

Old 12-11-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I would second a health food store. I've been to Eastport many times, never to Calais. Eastport is indeed off the beaten path and isolated. Calais has for better or worse more commerce, a Walmart and near Canadian border and probably a better bet.

Also, a healthier vegetarian friendly diner, cafe in either place would be a good bet. Or an ethnic food joint. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions, all good ideas. My personal preference was Eastport but see the commercial potential in Calais. Sounds like healthier options are the way to go. I have a lot of research to do.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
On your proposed timeline, when do you anticipate the plandemic ending, when will this lock-down be lifted?
Definitely after this pandemic "ends" I am not looking to invest in something while there is an uncertain future. My friend, who has a job that will be ending by April, wouldn't be availabe to help until May 2021.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's open. DH was there last weekend after our washing machine had a nervous smoke down.
Nice, thank you for confirming. I am sorry to hear about the washing machine issue at your house, I hope its fixed soon.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Yes. I've worked in food and ag in this part of the county for 20+ years. I can make some suggestions on cheesemakers, bakers, herbal health care products, wool yarn, meat, and other things if you decide you want to look into the idea.
Thank you so much for offer to assist. I may be PMing you next year

Old 12-11-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoMass2019 View Post
Have you considered Lubec for a coffee shop?

While the town can't sustain higher-end dining year round, locals would love a place to get coffee, easy pickups, and you could even stock baked goods from the local bakers who sell at the Farmer's Market.

And, you'd have a huge influx in the summer for Summer Keys.
I have never been to Lubec. I'll disuss with my friend who is local to the area and see whats possible. Great suggestion!

Old 12-11-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Lubec is a good choice. A must-stop for people going to Campobello, Quoddy lighthouses... They have a great brewhouse restaurant there as well.
I think I'll need to check out Lubec next time I'm up there. I've been to Calais, Eastport several times, however I didn't go with a 'business' perspective, it was vacation and visiting friends.

Great to see the Lubec suggestion seconded by you.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:59 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Yes, please let me know your thoughts. I wonder if the laundromat closure was linked to the pandemic or something else?
The laundromat is still open. I would try to do your business in Calais because you can draw people from from a larger area. Eastport is a pretty location, but it is sort of out of the way for down there, at the end of a side road.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:20 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I’d be looking at prompto
Oil changing along with tire change- overs

Downeasters are very fickle consumers
.. many coastal towns are a tale of two cities the hard working resourceful locals
And the artsy out of staters or tourists...
I grew up in a small coastal town .. and even if a local could afford
A 4 dollar expresso... they wouldn’t squander on such foolishness

Calais is the commercial center of all towns
Mentioned- not dependent on tourism ...
This past summer tourism was not even half because of the viral
Apocalypse in many places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine