Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 AM

12 posts, read 35,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermoore View Post
Try Maine Taxes! Real estate is expensive and expensive to maintain.
tax's are high, mentality, am I still in East Tenn.? Coastal areas are more tolarable, winter's are bitter. People on surface are friendly with an aroma of having an inferior attitude, yes, sex abuse especially by parents is high and very high with men in childhood by fathers. my partner is a Dr. opiates are drug of choice and very high use, cheap coffee brandy is drink of choice, ME a great place to visit but living here is a challange.
Have you been sampling those opiates??? I grew up in Maine and now live in TN. There is no comparison!!! Maine is one of the few blue state and known for its liberal democratic values! TN is one of the most conservative, right wing, over zealously, hypocrytically religious states around. No comparison. The sales tax alone is 9.25% (I think, it goes up every time I turn around) compared to Maine's solid 5% for decades. And where does it go? Not to the schools. Have you noticed any Maine children bringing their own toilet paper to school? I seriously doubt it. The weather is what it is. Did you expect it to be different? Of course the winters are bitter - its Maine!! The people in Maine are generally hardworking, honest, and kind. I'm not sure where you are smelling this air of inferiority. Thats just offensive. And check your facts - I am sure that sex abuse is no higher there than it is in TN. Drug abuse - I never even heard of Meth before I moved to TN. It may have moved to Maine since - but it was here first. Yes, Maine has its issues - the same issues as everywhere else - just not nearly as pervasive as some of the postings on here would have one believe. I miss the silly things that get written up as "crime" in Maine papers. Have you considered moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorrowxx View Post
Have you been sampling those opiates??? I grew up in Maine and now live in TN. There is no comparison!!! Maine is one of the few blue state and known for its liberal democratic values! TN is one of the most conservative, right wing, over zealously, hypocrytically religious states around. No comparison.
"sampling opiates" !!!

LOL

Quote:
... The sales tax alone is 9.25% (I think, it goes up every time I turn around) compared to Maine's solid 5% for decades. And where does it go? Not to the schools. Have you noticed any Maine children bringing their own toilet paper to school? I seriously doubt it.
LOL

How true.

Quote:
... The weather is what it is. Did you expect it to be different? Of course the winters are bitter - its Maine!!
LOL

Quote:
... The people in Maine are generally hardworking, honest, and kind. I'm not sure where you are smelling this air of inferiority. Thats just offensive.
It does seem that way to me.

Quote:
... And check your facts - I am sure that sex abuse is no higher there than it is in TN. Drug abuse - I never even heard of Meth before I moved to TN. It may have moved to Maine since - but it was here first.
No Meth has not moved to Maine at all.

I too have lived in Meth areas, it just is not here. There may be a few isolated Meth labs down in Northern Mass, but not in Maine proper.

Quote:
... Yes, Maine has its issues - the same issues as everywhere else - just not nearly as pervasive as some of the postings on here would have one believe. I miss the silly things that get written up as "crime" in Maine papers.
Come on now these 'crime reports' are funny!

barking dogs,
drunk walking down a sidewalk police arrive but can not find the drunk,
Moose wandering through town,
naked 80yr old ladies bowling,
and every week college kids having parties!

This is what counts for 'crime' in Maine.

LOL

Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 AM

12 posts, read 35,268 times
LOL. I remember reading about a landlady in Ellsworth spraying the hose at her tennents - while they were in the apartment - through the window! She showed them! I wonder what the water damage cost her
I also remember reading about a peeping Tom that turned out to be a sheep. Didn't they publish the Bar Harbor Times Police Beat as a book of humor a few years back?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:32 AM

When no serious 'crime' happens, they publish what does happen.

LOL

Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorrowxx View Post
LOL. I remember reading about a landlady in Ellsworth spraying the hose at her tennents - while they were in the apartment - through the window! She showed them! I wonder what the water damage cost her
I also remember reading about a peeping Tom that turned out to be a sheep. Didn't they publish the Bar Harbor Times Police Beat as a book of humor a few years back?
That sounds about on par.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Our town is too small to have a town drunk. We have to take turns.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:24 PM

139 posts, read 362,875 times
"The world will not change until we do."

-Jim Wallis-
Editor and activist

Old 12-18-2007, 02:00 PM

378 posts, read 1,031,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwoman2u View Post
wow, do you believe everything you read??? i have lived in a small town in maine for years and the picture you paint deffinitely is grossly exagerated. i have also traveled the US and would attribute your (and Mr. Moores' ramblings) to areas such as alabama, georgia, louisiana and texas, also, from personal experience, to new mexico. Ii am originally from "away" and always found the people in this state to be very friendly and welcoming.
Z
and every large town and small all along the eastern seaboard. One family can get a stranglehold on a place ... so if it's this way 'everywhere' I'll take MINE in MAINE, thanks.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Our town is too small to have a town drunk. We have to take turns.

Dang, that's just FUNNY.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm just catching up too after being away for a few days and can't believe what I'm reading! I applaud everyone who is saying that these incidents happen everywhere, not just in Maine. It's unfortunate, but true. The remark about Beals Island is an outright lie. What was that based upon? Must be the fact that so many down there have the same last name? Well, I'm proud to live here. And as someone else said (can't remember who now!)---if you don't like it, I95 goes north and south, don't let it hit you on the way out. But then again, let it hit you---maybe it will knock some sense into you.
Okay today I have been dishing out reputation left and right and STILL I can't give you any ..... here's a personal note, instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine