Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Oh, wow, you mean you made an effort? Good for you. Friends, any metro area under 2 million can be hard to meet people if you do not put yourself out there. But even larger metro areas can be that way sometimes too. There are thousands of people from all over the world and the nation in Louisville and every major city over a half a million.

Louisvillians use the high school thing as a way to connect with you. I never took any offense to anyone asking it. The same questions get asked of me in Orlando, probably the 2nd or 3rd fastest growing metro in the country. The same questions happened when I lived in Charlotte, Indianapolis, Austin, Portland, and while staying extended periods in a number of other mid sized cities including Raleigh, Austin, and Sacramento.
well aren't you just the world traveler! good for you! I don't really understand your smart-a** reply to my post that was trying to be helpfull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM

970 posts, read 1,874,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Oh, wow, you mean you made an effort? Good for you. Friends, any metro area under 2 million can be hard to meet people if you do not put yourself out there. But even larger metro areas can be that way sometimes too. There are thousands of people from all over the world and the nation in Louisville and every major city over a half a million.

Louisvillians use the high school thing as a way to connect with you. I never took any offense to anyone asking it. The same questions get asked of me in Orlando, probably the 2nd or 3rd fastest growing metro in the country. The same questions happened when I lived in Charlotte, Indianapolis, Austin, Portland, and while staying extended periods in a number of other mid sized cities including Raleigh, Austin, and Sacramento.
This is funny! Louisville is the only place I've ever lived where they (the Natives) ask you what high school you went to. I've lived in Raleigh, Austin, and Charlotte, and was never asked which high school I went to.

I suppose, in it's own way, it is "quaint," but to me it indicates that there is a lack of people from other areas of the country moving in. I was always asked (for 2 decades!) what high school I went to, and WHY I had moved there. This is not a Big City or Mid City Question............small town type stuff.

Also, given that the Public school system is crummy and ruined because of bussing, and that there is an Unusually Large Catholic school system, it would make sense to ask that of someone who is from there. However, I'm usually asked where I'm from.....area-wise........in other cities.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
I've never lived in a more socially-insular city in my life. When I first got here, I posted on a forum asking about where to go to concerts/where the best punk bars were/etc. and was met with mostly people making fun of me, followed by someone messaging, "I'm sorry this was your first impression of what it's like here. I'm sure someone can help show you where cool places to eat or something are." I wasn't looking for food; I was looking for friends.

I didn't meet anyone outside of where I worked for four months after I got here, and still seldom get invited to actually hang out with people or have anyone respond to me inviting them to hang out places. And if you live in the country, forget about it. I live with three other people on a property not far (35-45mins tops from anywhere in LSVL) from town and can't believe how isolated we are.

Where I lived before here (Madison, WI) and where I'm about to move (Muncie, IN), it's not uncommon for people to share a smile and a "Hey, what's up?" to people who look friendly enough. Haven't had that experience in Louisville. I'm honestly offended with how unfriendly some people from here are.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:13 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,463 times
third street dive is the best( and probably only) punk bar in lou. it's on third and chestnut.one of my favorite bands ever is playing friday 6-29. dead dick hammer. couple other bands and lots of cool peeps. try and make it.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,762,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
well aren't you just the world traveler! good for you! I don't really understand your smart-a** reply to my post that was trying to be helpfull.
My posts were meant as a compliment to you...you actually made an effort to go meet people. Louisville is not Chicago, DC or NY. It will not "jump" out at you and scream look I am big and great. But I assure you when you meet true friends there they will be friends for good and this is one of the few places I can say that about. Plus, the compact size allowed me to utilize the while metro, from new albany to beechmont, germantown to prospect, highlands to middletown and then some. Check Backseat Sandbar. Louisville has had a great punk and indie rock scene since the 90s from what I understand.
Louisville Punk/Hardcore History

Also there are several websites for this scene in the Ville:
Xerxes, Tickets, Events, Hardcore, Punk, Indie, Shows, concerts, history, venues, forums, flyers, poster art | Louisville Hardcore/Punk/Indie Rock.com

Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
This is funny! Louisville is the only place I've ever lived where they (the Natives) ask you what high school you went to. I've lived in Raleigh, Austin, and Charlotte, and was never asked which high school I went to.

I suppose, in it's own way, it is "quaint," but to me it indicates that there is a lack of people from other areas of the country moving in. I was always asked (for 2 decades!) what high school I went to, and WHY I had moved there. This is not a Big City or Mid City Question............small town type stuff.

Also, given that the Public school system is crummy and ruined because of bussing, and that there is an Unusually Large Catholic school system, it would make sense to ask that of someone who is from there. However, I'm usually asked where I'm from.....area-wise........in other cities.
Your post is flawed in many ways. I'll address it more later, but you clearly don't understand how large Louisville was historically and why its large Catholic school system is a product of its largely German/Irish immigrant heritage like its northen neighbors. It has nothing to do with "crummy" public schools. Your obsession with coming to this board to knock on the Ville validates Louisville has reached a renaissance mode where there is substantial domestic in migration. Your obsession with knocking Louisville from your perch in Austin only validates Louisville as a real up and comer for the creative class IMO. You don't see people from Louisville coming to the Texas boards to knock Austin for its sprawl, crime, and illegal immigrants. Why? Because hip people know a cool city and Austin rocks but so does Louisville.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen_scottsburg View Post
I've never lived in a more socially-insular city in my life. When I first got here, I posted on a forum asking about where to go to concerts/where the best punk bars were/etc. and was met with mostly people making fun of me, followed by someone messaging, "I'm sorry this was your first impression of what it's like here. I'm sure someone can help show you where cool places to eat or something are." I wasn't looking for food; I was looking for friends.

I didn't meet anyone outside of where I worked for four months after I got here, and still seldom get invited to actually hang out with people or have anyone respond to me inviting them to hang out places. And if you live in the country, forget about it. I live with three other people on a property not far (35-45mins tops from anywhere in LSVL) from town and can't believe how isolated we are.

Where I lived before here (Madison, WI) and where I'm about to move (Muncie, IN), it's not uncommon for people to share a smile and a "Hey, what's up?" to people who look friendly enough. Haven't had that experience in Louisville. I'm honestly offended with how unfriendly some people from here are.
Muncie, Indiana? Come on now!! Best of wishes though and hope you enjoy. When you live in the country, you are isolated from people. If you ever move to a city again, try living in the actual city where people walk around and go to parks, etc.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:26 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,666,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Good for you. I plan on going back to Florida. It's 80 degrees there today and people are not insular at all. I made a big mistake to move here, but not one i can't or won't correct.
Just proves the theory that everyone has their place.
I lived in FL for three looooooong and very painful years caring for an ill parent.
Absolutely the worst time of my life.

My Wife and I's opinion of FL was crime, violence, mean apathetic people, no culture whatsoever, no work, couldnt buy a friend, 24 hour a day torture.
When planning our escape to Louisville or anywhere else we could work, I got a great job BEFORE we even unloaded the moving truck. I have a rich cultural and social life that took no effort to establish.
Couldnt be happier!

It is true, everyone has their place, they just have to find it.
I hope your move back gives you what you are looking for.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Just proves the theory that everyone has their place.
I lived in FL for three looooooong and very painful years caring for an ill parent.
Absolutely the worst time of my life.

My Wife and I's opinion of FL was crime, violence, mean apathetic people, no culture whatsoever, no work, couldnt buy a friend, 24 hour a day torture.
When planning our escape to Louisville or anywhere else we could work, I got a great job BEFORE we even unloaded the moving truck. I have a rich cultural and social life that took no effort to establish.
Couldnt be happier!

It is true, everyone has their place, they just have to find it.
I hope your move back gives you what you are looking for.
Where do you live now? I will defend FL a bit, at least Orlando, but I do agree on the traffic and crime. I am a bit of a nomad so I have made friends all over the country but I think Orlando people are fairly friendly as medium large cities go. I do agree with the lack of culture....my high school auditorium is larger and of higher class than the current Orlando performing arts center (hopefully the new one they are building is better!). Also, the museums here are a joke and the tourists traps, cheesy at best, but there is a wonderful nightlife and a great international diversity, although the restaurants are sorely lacking. I definitely miss the user friendly nature of Louisville and Austin, my two favorite former cities. Charlotte was nice but a bit bland. At times I miss my native Chicago, yet, I cannot stand the weather, traffic, crime, and sheer sprawl. Yet the culture is unprecedented in the US outside NYC.

I think Louisville is my favorite city right now, or maybe Portland, for its combination and balance of urbanity but not too much, amenities, but not too many to use them all, cost of living, 4 seasons, and proximity to other interesting cities. It seems on a recent visit the artists and hipsters have discovered Louisville. The census shows it is growing at a healthy clip, but not overwhelmingly so like say, Vegas, or even Orlando or Houston in the big city realm.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,897 times
Hi folks,

I'm new in Louisville, arrived on 08/11/2012 as a exchange student from Germany.
I like the city it has a good size. I live near Bullet County and try to get a driver license and a car now.

I never had so much problems to make new friends in my life. Whenever I moved to a new city and went to a new school in Germany I got to know a lot of new ppl on the first days that turned later into good friends.

But as a student at the Jefferson Community & Technical College I'm having difficulties to make new friends. A lot of ppl to whom I talk are not so communicative. I think a lot of them don't want to lavish time with someone that has a lack of english language skills like me. The only ppl I can talk to is my host family, but unfortunately they have no kids and I would like to make some friends in my age (I'm 21).

I'm looking for a gym, maybe someone can recommend one. Also thought about to meet some Germans, may this is a way to make some american friends, too.

Are their any free hobby soccer teams or other sport activities to meet young ppl in Louisville?

I will check out some of the previous suggestions and hopefully someone can give me further advice ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area