Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
a lot of those categories arent very telling though, as crime is getting very bad everywhere, roads are deteriorating everywhere and the middle class is drying up. The thing Louisiana has going for it is 1. a lot of culture with unique art, music, and great food which keeps it continuously interesting and 2. really great optimistic people who will do anything to help each other out.
A lot of states have better stats but are way more boring places to actually live.
I agree I love LA culture and most of what you wrote but crime is not that bad in Kentucky. We have a lot of poverty but our crime in our cities are not bad on national average. So crime is not bad everywhere. I do agree LA has a more interesting culture to be than a lot of other states but thats purely subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookintomove15 View Post
So, here we have this s*!thole of a state. Who in the hell would want to live in this dump of Louisiana??

It has the nation's highest murder rate -

Why Is The Murder Rate High In Louisiana - Business Insider

It has the nation's and the WORLD'S highest incarceration rate -

Louisiana is the world's prison capital | NOLA.com

It's among the worst of all states in it's mortality rate -

12 Deadliest States With The Highest Mortality Rates - Insider Monkey

And it's poverty rate is off the charts -

Poverty rate stuck at record 46.5 million; Louisiana has 2nd highest rate

I think a better state to live in instead of Louisiana would be like Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine!!
I would love to move to the northeast, but it's uber expensive! I can't afford it. Plus the economy is bad, so jobs are scarce. I researched it. I can't even afford to buy a decent house in Maine. I also read that Mainers are not welcoming to strangers.

Louisiana, OTOH, has the second to lowest property tax rate in the country. It also has some of the best music in the country. Don't forget that jazz comes from New Orleans. If you don't live next to a chemical plant or oil refinery, and you don't eat too much of that wonderful food, your health should be fine. If you don't break laws, you won't end up in prison!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 AM

370 posts, read 446,535 times
Quote:

It has the nation's and the WORLD'S highest incarceration rate -

Louisiana is the world's prison capital | NOLA.com
Let me go on record and say that I am proud we lock up evil.

Got an issue with that? Talk to the hand!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 AM

415 posts, read 606,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post

I'm with you on that!
The bigger problem though is why theres soooo much ignorant evil in Louisiana. I'm going with the f-ed up education system and welfare system holding people back from bettering themselves.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I would love to move to the northeast, but it's uber expensive! I can't afford it. Plus the economy is bad, so jobs are scarce. I researched it. I can't even afford to buy a decent house in Maine. I also read that Mainers are not welcoming to strangers.

Louisiana, OTOH, has the second to lowest property tax rate in the country. It also has some of the best music in the country. Don't forget that jazz comes from New Orleans. If you don't live next to a chemical plant or oil refinery, and you don't eat too much of that wonderful food, your health should be fine. If you don't break laws, you won't end up in prison!
It depends on the job sector. IT jobs are plentiful in the northeast/mid-atlantic compared to most of the south. That's one of the reasons I finally left LA. The cost of living is higher in the northeast, but so are salaries for white collar jobs to account for that.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:18 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,092,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post

Evil?

Victimless crimes are not evil.

Way too much money is spent prosecuting victimless crimes.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:04 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,789 times
Wish we'd lock up more crooked politicians at Angola. Do that and you'd probably see a dramatic decrease in corruption. But we have a tendency to send them to penal country club prisons. BTW.... a huge number of incarcerated folks in Louisiana are for non-violent drug crimes that often get harsher sentences than DUI / Vehicular Homicide or Violent Crimes even. And we have a tendency to railroad folks who don't get a fair shake at trial. That's a real evil too!

BTW...Hope you and your "hand" have a happy, blissfully ignorant life!

Ex-prosecutor to wrongfully convicted man: 'I apologize'

Old 03-29-2015, 09:02 PM

372 posts, read 449,707 times
I don't understand the point of this thread. Just because you don't like the state doesn't mean its the worst state...well except to you maybe. It doesn't seem any different than anywhere else. All states have a good and bad. How does a state having a high obesity rate stop you from visiting or living here and enjoying it. Just because that's what the stats say doesn't mean it has to become true for you.

People coming to this forum to find good info and this is the first thing they see smh.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
Louisiana! Home of good food, Culture and Mardi Gras. Imo I love Louisiana, it's a great state to visit and have fun in. As far as crime, I wouldn't worry about it. Using common since is the best way to stay out of trouble plus national crime rate isn't any where near what it was during the 1990's.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:23 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,541 times
Quote:
So, here we have this s*!thole of a state. Who in the hell would want to live in this dump of Louisiana??
[crappola snipped]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana