Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 PM

415 posts, read 606,739 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm the first to agree Louisiana isn't great but every state has problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
Know what Louisiana is good at?

Their organization and availability of vital records. For years, no one in my family knew how my paternal grandmother died, not even my father or his brother. My grandfather never told them. Everything was hush-hush. Different times. It was always a mystery...A mystery that nagged me!

I did some searching online and low and behold, I was able to get her death certificate from 1949! Her parents' names were listed on the document. What the heck I thought...Let's keep going further back. Long story short, and with the help of some other websites, I was able to trace my roots back to the early 1800's. I was also able to see a photo of her gravestone. It all started with that one document from the state of Louisiana.

I wondered if it would be that easy to trace my mother's New England roots. No such luck. I tried doing my husband's CA line. Again, no such luck. Out of curiosity, I tried several different state's vital record sites. None were as organized as Louisiana's.

Your state does have it's faults, but it excels in this department and I'm grateful.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
This is a cut above the usual City-Data rant because it at least contains some links...
Very true. It also contains decent spelling and grammar with text formatting in the mix. No amateur whiner here.

But I want to add one more to his/her list which I found oddly cool.

Its four largest metros rank in the nation's top ten most overindulgent -

America’s 20 Most Overindulgent Metropolitan Areas

Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
well I love Louisiana its my favorite state I would say even. I know I don't live there and all but it is my fav state from what I know about it. oh and I would love to live " in this dump of Louisiana??". overall I think this thread to cause bickering or the OP just realllllllly hates Louisiana. plus he says 3 states to live in and they are all from new England sounds fishy to me, seems he wants a north vs south thread. lol Louisiana does seem to have lots of problems though. and if Louisiana was the worst state people wouldn't be fleeing the northeast to move to warmer places like Louisiana.
The "flyover zone" state of Minnesota passed Louisiana in population more than two decades ago (1990 census which was 15 years pre-Katrina). No one is fleeing anywhere in significant numbers to live in Louisiana. However, it is a popular visitor destination as many people have New Orleans on their bucket list. Will certainly give you that.

The city has hosted 10 Super Bowls, which also helps! They lost their 11th bid to Minneapolis for the 2018 Super Bowl. Still, it is an admirable accomplishment for the city. The NFL has put new stadiums at the top of their criteria in recent years and the foreseeable future (with exception for New York City...actually East Rutherford, NJ more accurately two years ago. LOL).

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-20-2015 at 12:13 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 01:15 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookintomove15 View Post
So, here we have this s*!thole of a state. Who in the hell would want to live in this dump of Louisiana??

It has the nation's highest murder rate -

Why Is The Murder Rate High In Louisiana - Business Insider

It has the nation's and the WORLD'S highest incarceration rate -

Louisiana is the world's prison capital | NOLA.com

It's among the worst of all states in it's mortality rate -

12 Deadliest States With The Highest Mortality Rates - Insider Monkey

And it's poverty rate is off the charts -

Poverty rate stuck at record 46.5 million; Louisiana has 2nd highest rate

I think a better state to live in instead of Louisiana would be like Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine!!
How old are you now?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:25 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
Very true. It also contains decent spelling and grammar with text formatting in the mix. No amateur whiner here.

But I want to add one more to his/her list which I found oddly cool.

Its four largest metros rank in the nation's top ten most overindulgent -

America’s 20 Most Overindulgent Metropolitan Areas
Lol I saw that Lafayette is the most overindulgent city. Thats pretty true. We looooooove to eat and entertain ourselves. Another list however also puts us in some of the hardest working cities, so people might be able to understand why we let loose so much.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 PM

194 posts, read 182,794 times
Its not alot different than other areas. People living w/ blinders on.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I like how the OP stated facts but everyone is bashing him. I understand he's a troll, but he's not lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Know what Louisiana is good at?

Their organization and availability of vital records. For years, no one in my family knew how my paternal grandmother died, not even my father or his brother. My grandfather never told them. Everything was hush-hush. Different times. It was always a mystery...A mystery that nagged me!

I did some searching online and low and behold, I was able to get her death certificate from 1949! Her parents' names were listed on the document. What the heck I thought...Let's keep going further back. Long story short, and with the help of some other websites, I was able to trace my roots back to the early 1800's. I was also able to see a photo of her gravestone. It all started with that one document from the state of Louisiana.

I wondered if it would be that easy to trace my mother's New England roots. No such luck. I tried doing my husband's CA line. Again, no such luck. Out of curiosity, I tried several different state's vital record sites. None were as organized as Louisiana's.

Your state does have it's faults, but it excels in this department and I'm grateful.
Not for every race of people.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:43 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
If you feel that way, then why not just live in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Maine? It certainly beats trolling city-data.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:13 AM

370 posts, read 446,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Not for every race of people.
Explain yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana