Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 AM

137 posts, read 602,610 times

Advertisements

I've had a couple experiences of sharing box seats with strangers and it hasn't been uncomfortable, but perhaps I've been lucky with the people I've met. IMO the 4-seater boxes are a bit tight.

It all depends on how much food/drinks you bring and how much space you require -- because there isn't much space to just spread out, especially when you are sharing the box. When you picnic, you probably want to sit opposite of your guest, but when you watch the performance you probably want to sit side-by-side; perhaps discuss your plans with the other occupants when you first arrive.

As for the cost being worth it, I think it all depends on the performance. You can find box seats from ticket brokers that sell for much less than face value closer to the date of the event if it is not one of their prime events, even for a Friday or Saturday performance.

You should also consider the superseats, they are further back, but in the center and they are much more comfortable than the concrete benches.

Either way, drink well and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 12:11 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LArenter View Post
I've had a couple experiences of sharing box seats with strangers and it hasn't been uncomfortable, but perhaps I've been lucky with the people I've met. IMO the 4-seater boxes are a bit tight.

It all depends on how much food/drinks you bring and how much space you require -- because there isn't much space to just spread out, especially when you are sharing the box. When you picnic, you probably want to sit opposite of your guest, but when you watch the performance you probably want to sit side-by-side; perhaps discuss your plans with the other occupants when you first arrive.

As for the cost being worth it, I think it all depends on the performance. You can find box seats from ticket brokers that sell for much less than face value closer to the date of the event if it is not one of their prime events, even for a Friday or Saturday performance.

You should also consider the superseats, they are further back, but in the center and they are much more comfortable than the concrete benches.

Either way, drink well and have fun.
Actually, we have been VERY lucky with meeting people at LA area venues. Everybody has been very polite and considerate of us out-of-towners, so I didn't really see that as a major problem.
My primary concern was the level of "intimacy" with the enclosed box. I did manage to find some pictures online with dimensions. It really is tight with all chairs open. As a "big" guy I worry about impacting other people's space. I also was concerned about the weight capacity of the seats themselves. The folks at the box office said there should not be a problem.
As for food, we are very flexible and might even sample the sit down restaurant just for kicks.

Thought about the superseats but want to do the box at least once so we can say we did it!!!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 PM

422 posts, read 1,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Try and sit to the "right" of the bowl (from the perspective of the audience), if you can. As the show closes, there is only one set of exits and they are all to the right. The folks sitting on the left of the bowl, wait longer to get out.
I love this quintessential LA response. Choose your seats based on ease of access to transportation.

For my 2 cents, the super seats are great and the shuttle is a nerves-saver. If you want to share a box, don't worry about your companions. It's usually a very friendly crowd.

And in case you haven't been to the bowl before, for many people the picnicking before the show is a big part of the experience.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
My firm has a couple boxes to the Bowl so I usually get to indulge in a couple performances. It's not as comfy as you would imagine! It's actually quite tight, especially if you get ppl who bring those ginormous picnic baskets & drink coolers. Personally i think it would be quite awkward to share with total strangers unless you just came right before they dimmed the lights (you can still eat beforehand in one of the adjacent picnic areas, bring a blanket or beach towel just in case the tables are filled). btw, wine, beer & alcohol are encouraged :]

I don't recommend taxi because after the performance incoming traffic to the Bowl is blocked for some time, so either you'd have to walk like 3/4 mile to the outskirts to catch a cab back or wait like an hour for the entire lot to clear (it's stacked parking!).

Old 04-19-2013, 01:13 AM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
Take one of the many shuttle buses. They drop you off at the ticket entrance with no long uphill walking. Extremely convenient and no uphill walking. You would then walk DOWN to bottom for the waiting shuttle buses after the concert. Just be clear about WHERE YOUR return shuttle bus will be staged after the concert. There are a TON of different buses staged at conclusion of the concert.

If it is a fireworks concert, than the best seats are FURTHER away from the stage. The "best" seats up front such as the box seats get clouded in smoke, and you can't appreciate the grand scale of the fireworks unless you are far back in the much cheaper seats. Heck, even the cheapest seats are the best for the fireworks concerts.

You should know that eating and drinking is allowed and practiced in all the non-box seats, as well. So, you can still partake in victuals and drink during the concert. Also, tables and benches are on the premises to eat and drink BEFORE the concert. The funny thing about the Bowl is that between the movements, you don't hear coughing, you hear the clank of bottles falling upon the cement. . Hilarious, if not annoying. Please enjoy.

MTA has Hollywood Bowl Buses serving many areas of the LA area. Please research this at the Hollywood Bowl website. The Bowl heavily promotes the shuttle services. Yes, parking is a PITA, which is why for many years we all took shuttles and I would meet friends and family who took shuttles from Pasadena, Hollywood area, and I even took a few from as far away as Fullerton. Always a positive experience compared to the drive and the PITA of trying to leave the Bowl in a car. You go nowhere for a long time. As mentioned, Hollywood/Highland area has frequent shuttle service.

Last edited by HarryKerryJr; 04-19-2013 at 01:24 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
If a couple is not interested in sharing a box, what would the next best option be?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
If a couple is not interested in sharing a box, what would the next best option be?
According to my research you have 3 options:

1) Buy the whole box.

2) The Superseats - A section of stadium style seating right behind the terrace boxes and in the center - Sections J1, H, G1.

3) Bench seats with rented seat cushions.

Tickets go on sale on May 4 but you can get tickets now from resellers for about twice the normal price.

Here's a great seating chart: http://hollywoodbowltips.com/?page_id=2

Last edited by quixotic59; 04-19-2013 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
According to my research you have 3 options:

1) Buy the whole box.

2) The Superseats - A section of stadium style seating right behind the terrace boxes and in the center - Sections J1, H, G1.

3) Bench seats with rented seat cushions.

Tickets go on sale on May 4 but you can get tickets now from resellers for about twice the normal price.

Here's a great seating chart: Seating Chart | Hollywood Bowl Tips
Thanks, that's helpful. Do you (or anyone else) know if popular shows regularly sell out at the bowl? Do you have to get a subscription to get a shot at good seats? We're thinking about checking out Tony Bennett, John Williams and maybe Natalie Cole. We're definitely going to see Pink Martini... we saw their free Central Park Summerstage concert two years ago and they were great!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Thanks, that's helpful. Do you (or anyone else) know if popular shows regularly sell out at the bowl? Do you have to get a subscription to get a shot at good seats? We're thinking about checking out Tony Bennett, John Williams and maybe Natalie Cole. We're definitely going to see Pink Martini... we saw their free Central Park Summerstage concert two years ago and they were great!
According to the person I spoke to, they get tickets back from season ticket holders sometimes but that happens relatively close to the shows. So that's a bit of a gamble.

I can't speak to the Bowl but last year for Neil Diamond at the Greek we had no choice but to go through a reseller to get tickets. By the time I got through to the theater the tickets were gone.
We used Barry's Tickets and had great service and reasonable markup. Depends on your budget.

My guess is that Tony Bennett would be the toughest one, then Natalie Cole.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
I've taken the subway to the Renaissance (?) at Hollywood/Highland (where you then catch a shuttle to the Bowl. Very nice. And yes, the boxes are awesome- I hope you get to experience that. The Bowl is the best IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles