Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,983,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
I can't prove the rain affected the "No" vote just as much as you can't prove it didn't. Therefore, your inference is WRONG.
So, your post saying your are just stating the facts, was not a fact?

Surprising.

EDIT: This post.
Quote:
I'm simply stating facts. You are the one thumping on your chest like a baboon stating that the budget passing indicates LIers are fine with teacher compensation and the taxes that go to schools. I'm saying you cannot infer that conclusion based on this one vote.

As for the weather, I will disagree with the poster who said those voting "No" would more likely come out in bad weather. It's in fact the opposite. The PTA has a much stronger base and parents will vote "Yes" to ensure the programs from which they benefit will remain. They have a vested interest in the budget passing and will go the extra mile to make it happen. Those who intend to vote "No" have an uphill battle against those tied to the "school's hip", and those who are ignorant with regards to the costs of the education system.
You infer a lot. Where are your facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

280 posts, read 248,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post

Surprising.
Go back and re-read. I never said people who would have voted "No" but didn't because of the rain was a fact. The post to which you are referring I stated an inference cannot be made that LIers are OK with the spending on the school due to this years vote because of the weather. The fact is the weather could have discouraged "No" voters or it could not have. You can't (or haven't) proven it and neither can I.

Do you get it now?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Surprising.

EDIT: This post.

You infer a lot. Where are your facts?
And as I said, that post was after your post. There I was giving my opinion. Can't you read?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:24 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,049,207 times
Quote:
This was the post you were referring to which started this back and forth:

I'm not making an assertion that the rain affected the vote (my opinion in another post was that it is, but not in this post to which you are referring).

I can't prove the rain affected the "No" vote just as much as you can't prove it didn't. Therefore, your inference is WRONG.
HUH?
In this post you are NOT asserting the rain caused a NO vote, but in another post you ARE?
Did it or Didn't It?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
I don't think the "fact" being questioned was whether it was raining.
It was the statement that the rain kept the NO voters away in greater numbers than the YES voters. Where is the basis for that FACT?

And as you expressed it in a subsequent post, you are saying the YES votes were cast by people who CARED about the system, while the people who didn't care about the educational system just stayed home because it was raining. That is certainly the conclusion of your analysis of voting patterns. A little rain shouldn't keep people who really cared home. Obviously, based on your analysis, the majority really didn't care about the budgets or they would have come out & voted. They like it the way it is. Majority Rules - it's called Democracy. Like you said, the Parents in the district, who have a personal stake in the educational system, were more likely to vote yes. Of course they were!
I never said it was fact. Where I wrote I am only stating facts, the context of the post was how the other poster cannot infer that the vote being positive for the majority of districts means the majority of LIers are OK with the money being spent on education.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I never said it was fact. Where I wrote I am only stating facts, the context of the post was how the other poster cannot infer that the vote being positive for the majority of districts means the majority of LIers are OK with the money being spent on education.
When you say you are stating the facts, generally people will think you are stating facts, not your opinion.

I seriously hope you are not a lawyer.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
HUH?
In this post you are NOT asserting the rain caused a NO vote, but in another post you ARE?
Did it or Didn't It?
In my opinion, yes but that's not what I'm asserting as fact. Read my last 3 posts, I'm trying to explain it to the other poster. It's quite a simple concept, yet the brilliant products of LI public schools cannot seem to grasp it.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,049,207 times
Quote:
When you say you are stating the facts, generally people will think you are stating facts, not your opinion.

SOunds like one to me!

Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:

If you saw the post where I stated that I was stating facts, and the post to which I was referring, it's obvious to what I was speaking about. It's not my fault you aren't well versed on the order of events and reading comprehension.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I never said people who would have voted "No" but didn't because of the rain was a fact. The post to which you are referring I stated an inference cannot be made that LIers are OK with the spending on the school due to this years vote because of the weather.

Quote:

WHAAAAT? Make up your mind! How is my inference WRONG but your inference isn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island