Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 AM

5,531 posts, read 7,121,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hmmm... after going thru' all that what do you have.... about 2 months of "real" pool enjoyment per year, by "real" I mean you do not have to convince yourself that the water is warm enough to dive into the pool.... I certainly feel that its not worth the money, JMHO.
If you notice, even low end houses in warmer climates have pools, maybe the maintenance cost is the same, but if you can enjoy it for 10 months instead of 2, then you might think of doing it.
I open my pool mid May and close it mid Sept. Sometimes early October depending on how warm it stays. Thats 4 months use and yes the pool gets used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM

41 posts, read 121,746 times
getting a pool installed as soon as the permits approved by the town. You don't put a pool in expecting to make money. think about it as needing to go away to the carribean 1 less time a year. 5K a trip and after 5-6 years, it has paid for itself. all perspective.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM

270 posts, read 965,204 times
Yes....youu can't look at putting a pool in for anyone but yourself. Or looking to make money. We want the pool for us......not looking to raise/not raise property value, or make the yard look better for anyone else but us....:-)

We just bought the house like 6 months ago, so not even thinking of selling....lol We'll be living in this house for a very long time!....lol

Old 04-08-2010, 04:43 PM

335 posts, read 935,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Pools usually are not covered by a home inspection. You would have to hire a pool company to do the inspection, I strongly suggest you have someone look at the pool and make sure it's in good shape. If you don't know what to look for it could cost you a small fortune to correct any problems. Being that the weather is getting nice now, you should ask that the homeowner have the pool opened and up and running, if they refuse I would be a little suspicious. This has happened many times where the homeowner is trying to hide some sort of issue, in that case you need to have escrow held just to be sure everything is ok. Sometimes the homeowner is just plain old cheap and doesn't feel like dealing with the expense and upkeep of the pool when they know they are selling. I'm telling you from my years in the business, don't believe it when they tell you everything is fine with the pool. I've had people buy a home with a pool and have to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars in repairs and/or renovations. The best line is "everything was good last summer".
Feel free to send me a PM for more info.
Thanks!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:50 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,550,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Adds up.

The person who posed the cost question also did not state whether they were supplying a pool heater or not. There's the expense of that system installed as well as the cost to run it.
I thought that if your spending that kind of money, you should add a pool heater and double your season.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:52 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,550,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
How much does it cost to fill in? Do you need a permit to fill it in also?

Not that I want to, but just curious...
I do think you need a permit and about $8000-$10,000 but gunite can be more.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 AM

20,090 posts, read 20,897,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I do think you need a permit and about $8000-$10,000 but gunite can be more.
"Cheaper to keep her"
Mostly when buying a new home, people consider removing the pool, especially if it's in poor condition, and then proceed to have a stroke when they find out how much it costs to remove it, and then the additional cost to make the yard look pretty again. 9 times out of 10 they keep the pool because more often than not, it's more affordable to renovate the pool than to remove it.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM

551 posts, read 1,577,232 times
Everyone keeps saying "gunite costs more." How much more, say for a basic rectangle 18x36 or 20x40? I have very wet heavy clay soil. The "experts" are saying that we need to go gunite with significant reinforcing, and the prices are mind-boggling.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 AM

36 posts, read 104,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I am in the process of getting quoted for a new HO policy. One of the questions asked if I had an IG pool. Other questions in that same field were: dogs, fireplace, smoker, etc. I would wager that the pool will increase your HO premium as it does have potential for problems.
Mostly depends on the size of the pool and whether or not you have a diving board or slide -- if you have a diving board and the deep end is not big enough it can increase your insurance

Just like it depends on what type of dog you have.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 AM

36 posts, read 104,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Everyone keeps saying "gunite costs more." How much more, say for a basic rectangle 18x36 or 20x40? I have very wet heavy clay soil. The "experts" are saying that we need to go gunite with significant reinforcing, and the prices are mind-boggling.

What about just getting cement walls? doesn't add much to the cost of installing the pool, and should you ever decide to get rid of the pool I believe you can just remove the liner and just fill it in without removing everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island