Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
does home insurance go up too if you have a pool?
I am in the process of getting quoted for a new HO policy. One of the questions asked if I had an IG pool. Other questions in that same field were: dogs, fireplace, smoker, etc. I would wager that the pool will increase your HO premium as it does have potential for problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Ha Ha.... have you seen the listings that say "Pool is a gift"....
What it really means is "Its too expensive to fix it now as I'm going to sell anyway, and I'm not in a mood to pay to take the pool out for you, so don't even think about it. Do it at your expense"

Ok, on a serious note, I like a pool, but as someone said I want my kids to learn swimming to reduce the dangers of accidents. So I'll wait for another 7-8 years before I think of getting a pool.
The previous owners had a above ground pool, which they took out way before I purchased the house, but I got all the hook ups if I need to have it in the future.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
anyone know how much value a $30k pool adds to the house like 10 years later when you try to sell?
I can tell you that when we were looking for homes, I would not have minded purchasing one with an inground pool but my husband did not want too b/c of the cost of maintenance, etc. We had actually found a house we liked with an inground pool and he was thinking of filling the pool in...that's how much of a headache he thought it was. His parents have an inground pool so I guess he knows the maintenance of one, etc. Personally, I would not have minded to have one but then again, I would just be using it for enjoyment and he would be the one taking care of it.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Ha Ha.... have you seen the listings that say "Pool is a gift"....
What it really means is "Its too expensive to fix it now as I'm going to sell anyway, and I'm not in a mood to pay to take the pool out for you, so don't even think about it. Do it at your expense"

Ok, on a serious note, I like a pool, but as someone said I want my kids to learn swimming to reduce the dangers of accidents. So I'll wait for another 7-8 years before I think of getting a pool.
The previous owners had a above ground pool, which they took out way before I purchased the house, but I got all the hook ups if I need to have it in the future.

Ummm, no, that's not necessarily true. The pool as a gift thing usually applies to above ground pools with illegal decks.
At least that's my understanding.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:19 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Ummm, no, that's not necessarily true. The pool as a gift thing usually applies to above ground pools with illegal decks.
At least that's my understanding.
Ok, if that were true, then I stand corrected for blaming the pool itself.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Ha, yeah "pool is a gift" love those little tidbits in the listings.
If the pool is a gift, does that mean if I catch herpes from some chick the herpes is a gift too? ha.
Right.
The owners of my first house tried to "gift" me a pool.
I said thank you, but I insist you keep it.
In other words, they took it down and donated it to the sanitation department.

I've been in the pool business for like 12 years or so, maybe more.
It took me until last summer with the begging and pleading of my wife and kids to finally build a pool. I know better

Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM

25 posts, read 132,719 times
I've been in the pool business for like 12 years or so, maybe more.
It took me until last summer with the begging and pleading of my wife and kids to finally build a pool. I know better[/quote]

We're getting one this summer. Is it really that terrible?!?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
I always tell my kids to make friends with kids who have pools

We bought our house two years ago - I would have considered a pool, but my husband was strongly against it, and to be fair, he would have ended up taking care of it, and he doesn't particularly like to swim.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I always tell my kids to make friends with kids who have pools

We bought our house two years ago - I would have considered a pool, but my husband was strongly against it, and to be fair, he would have ended up taking care of it, and he doesn't particularly like to swim.
You sound like my mom!

We always BEGGED for a pool but no way.

Then she moved out to Suffolk when I am an adult and wouldn't you know it ... the house had an inground pool! Suddenly she LIKED pools!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
I had one put in 7 years ago 18 x 36 with 8' deep end. Let me give you the pro's and cons.

Cons *It is expensive, about mid teen to 30k depending on size, shape and materials. If you go with a Loop Lock cover they are very expensive.

*Make sure you don't have a high water table as that will increase the installation price or determine how deep you can make your deepend.

*You need to get a fence and landscaping

*Then you will want new patio furniture to go with it. Possibly a cabana to change in and store pool supplies.

*Be prepared to spend time vacuuming and cleaning.

*when it rains and your water level rises, it's a pain to empty out the excess.

*Chemicals, Chlorine and Shock can add up $$$$. I use Costco for some of these.

*It looks ugly in the winter while covered. You need to keep a pump on pool cover to remove the puddled rain water

*if you go with pavers, be prepared to spend lots of time weeding.

*your taxes will go up, I paid .75 per square foot extra in taxes (town of smithtown)

Pros *When it's 90 degrees, hot and humid and your laying in the sun, floating around your pool you will never be more relaxed.

*Also on a hot summer night when your having drinks out in the yard, there's nothing more beautiful then looking at your pool with the light on in the deep end, and all your patio lights are on.

* If you have kids, it's a great way to keep them entertained all summer. I would rather know where my kids are and let them have their friends over.

* Bar-b-ques in the summer are much better when you have a pool.

* you can be very creative with the landscaping and make your back yard into a paradise, Especially with summer annuals. You'll never want to leave it. I have a picture of my pool that I keep on my desktop all winter long to remind me what I have to look forward to in the summer.

Even though it's expensive and sometimes I don't get in it as much as I would like I'm still glad I put one in. To me it is worth every penny.
As far as people on here saying it's a deterent if you go to sell, just put your house on the market in July. When people come over to view your house on a hot day and see the pool in all it's splendor it can actaully be a strong selling feature.
If you really want it and willing to do extra work, go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island