Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,359,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Um, what's wrong with approaching the nicer, more humble guys yourself? I'm not too shabby in the looks dept either, so I learned that you have to go up to and talk to the guys that interest you. They won't get it that you're interested at first, but eventually they'll catch on!
I am too old-fashioned in that respect. Both my spouses approached me.

Quote:
Also, I disagree with the dismissal of the online dating thing. Yeah, sometimes it doesn't work out - but I don't consider meeting someone new a waste of time. If there aren't sparks, there aren't - but maybe you can gain a friend - or at the very least - just have a night out and laugh about how mismatched it was later. But then again, I can talk to anyone, anywhere about just about anything! Yeah, I'm one of those people who strikes up conversations in the line at the grocery store!
Actually I did try online dating in my second go-round of the singles scene. I did actually meet a guy who ended up as a friend. We went out to dinner and drinks after and we agreed we were not for each other, and he suggested we go out together or he come along when me and my friends went out. So I was a "wing woman" for awhile and it was fun.

Quote:
And I think bars are a bad place to meet people - most of the guys there are looking to score or are already married/engaged/or otherwise involved. Parties are better, events and clubs are good (some are free - like the greenbelt's single hikes), friends, the gym, heck - even the grocery store or home depot! I've been hit on at Home Depot and Loews quite a few times! Gotta like a guy that can help me fix things around the house!
I have met plenty of creeps and cheaters in bars. It's certainly not foolproof, but if your morals do not include one-night stands or engaging in adultery and you make that perfectly clear, they will stop bothering you quickly. As for the gym, I knew some people who got involved with others who go to their gym, and then when it went south, they didn't want to go to the gym anymore because they would have to see that person.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM

200 posts, read 620,013 times
It does not matter where you meet someone, you can meet them at a supermarket and wind up getting married. No matter how pretty or handsome a person is, sometimes does not matter. Subconsciously people look for a certain type of person, Brown hair or blonde hair, a certain body type a certain religion. And one of the most important things, and I know
it happens to me is Devine intervention.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,425,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealarm View Post
It does not matter where you meet someone, you can meet them at a supermarket and wind up getting married. No matter how pretty or handsome a person is, sometimes does not matter. Subconsciously people look for a certain type of person, Brown hair or blonde hair, a certain body type a certain religion. And one of the most important things, and I know
it happens to me is Devine intervention.
Looks matter more often than not...and when it comes to long-term commitment, attractive people are more often left out in the cold.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM

327 posts, read 1,065,263 times
Go to the Sly Fox Inn in Flushing... cougars on the prowl in there.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
Go to the Sly Fox Inn in Flushing... cougars on the prowl in there.
The OP is older.

Cougars are called that because they specifically target much younger men to fool around with. They would not give the OP the time of day.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Looks matter more often than not...and when it comes to long-term commitment, attractive people are more often left out in the cold.
It happens for attractive people. You just need to find someone who is commitment-minded and freeze out the creeps, cheaters, and characters. I did twice, so why not you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: