Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times

Advertisements

I'd be very cautions about subscribing to any "best school".

There are so many factors which go into a child's intellectual growth and achievement.
There are various factors that are important to particular parents.

It's not one size fits all or "best schools" are best at everything and/or for any and every body.

Also, schools on paper are one thing. It's necessary to visit schools, observe, talk to teachers, administrators AND students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI/Queens View Post
Does anyone notice that except for Bellmore, all of the towns mentioned are middle / upperclass towns? Hmmmm .... I guess if you are looking for the $55-$625k house and trying to keep your taxes under $11k you are out of luck.

Ahh, but Bellmore JFK is very rich (multi-million dollar homes). Most of the people zoned here live in South Bellmore Regular Bellmore and North Bellmore is part of two other schools in the same district. Those schools are good too, but JFK is usually ranked higher.

It is true, the "listed" best schools on LI are in the wealthier areas...what a surprise.

Most middle class areas have great schools too. Desirable and best is relative. As long as you don't live in a sub-par district, you are fine on Long Island.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:40 PM

24 posts, read 181,163 times
Default Tarrytown is an average 50 minute train ride

I have lived in Tarrytown. While I agree its a very scenic town, Hicksville has better train service than tarrytown. Sleepy hollow is a good SD, but tarrytown is not as great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTMama View Post
I would look into the WestChester area. As mentioned on another thread, Tarrytown is a wonderful area to raise children and commute to the city. Only 20 min. on the metro north.
Long Island is a tough commute, however, I would suggest Nassau along the NorthShore. All the towns along the NorthShore have the best rated schools.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 PM

24 posts, read 181,163 times
Default best school district

There is no "absolute" best school district. There are many factors which play in here.

If you are looking for the highest SAT scores in high schools, its Jericho. There is a general tendency to believe that Jericho is purely academic exceellent and not much else, but that is not true. I am a Jericho resident, and I know people here take sports seriously too. For example, check out Jericho Athletic Association. Some students from Jericho are also enrolled in Julliard's for music.

That being said, many school districts in LI are very good. Garden city, Syosset, Herricks, Manhasset, Great Neck etc should also be in your radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNlady View Post
Hello:

Been lurking on this site for the last week and now am ready to post a question. My husband is considering taking a job in Manhatten. I don't know the city at all (he does) but it is near Union Square if that helps. Trying to figure out where to live. My sister-in-law is a teacher in Westchester so I think I have that area figured out. I just think that maybe (based on knowing nothing about the city) Long Island would be a better commute. We want to live in the area with the absolute best school district we can find so I am starting my search there recognizing that in the end we will have to craft our own equation balancing housing costs, commute, schools, etc.

Any advice on school districts would be greatly appreciated. I am going to post a similar question on the New Jersey page as well as clearly that would another option.

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
Bellmore JFK is good, but hardly are all the homes there have multimillion-dollar pricetags.

School district 23 as I know it is Wantagh which happens to be a very good school district as well.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 13,352 times
Default riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by lountati View Post
I thought RVC has the best elementary school (Riverside) I am moving there, because of the report card. Can anyone confirm this?
Riverside rules!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 13,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lountati View Post
I thought RVC has the best elementary school (Riverside) I am moving there, because of the report card. Can anyone confirm this?
My first response was only because I wasn't sure I knew how to use this lol
I had to register to respond to you on riverside school. Riverside is rockville centre's best kept secret! class sizes r very very small..15 or 16 to a class. ur kids get LOTS of attention. the community here in south RVc is amazing! Parents are always on top of their children and we are always helping each other. Go 4 it u won't regret it! small town feel..lot's of kids...little traffic....no snobs..it's all about family and fun!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Any ideas on the port washington area?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
The Port Washington School District is well regarded (especially the High School) and has several winners each year in the Intel science competition. The school system also allows all students to take AP classes.

They have a Universal Pre-K program where they will pay 1/2 of your child's pre-school tuition at any private pre-school in the area. Since the number of vouchers is limited they have a lottery system, the program is open to all students whether their parents make $10,000 per year or $1,000,000 per year.

You can't go wrong with Port, especially if you work in Manhattan.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM

28 posts, read 79,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
It has a good reputation but the comute i did not like.
You have to take Glen Cove Road - with a lot of trafic lights - like 25 min drive.
And than the houses are so close , with small lots - I did not like it.
Try Merrick - only 40 min by train to Manhatt. , easy comute to everywere and the schools are EXCELL>>>
My son it is a first grader and ... wow. The school district was the selection criteria when i started looking for a house.And I am very, very pleased with the schools in Merrick, programs, extra school activities....
If you look on the South Merrick - very expensive - close to water.
bet. Sunrise and Merrick Rd - very good area - School district 25 - and very decent priced.
You can get a new construction -with 4 bedrooms - 3 baths - 60x100 lot for 750's -780' .
On North Shore with 750 's ( Great Neck, Manhasset, ---) you get a small something that needs work.
Rocville Centre - has sections - that you do not want to be at night.
When I purchased my house - I tried to stay away from the towns with - good sections and bad sections.
That I loved about Merrick - no bad sections .
Only more expensive area than other - but still affordable for what has to offer.
Try areas like Gables( bet. Merrick RD and Sunrise),Lindenmere.
charming ....
And you do not get the snobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island