Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 AM

12 posts, read 54,943 times

Advertisements

Does anyone notice that except for Bellmore, all of the towns mentioned are middle / upperclass towns? Hmmmm .... I guess if you are looking for the $55-$625k house and trying to keep your taxes under $11k you are out of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 AM

12 posts, read 54,943 times
Default Best LI Schools

What about living in Lynbrook, RVC or Huntington? Any thoughts? I think RVC is the most $$ out of them all.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI/Queens View Post
Does anyone notice that except for Bellmore, all of the towns mentioned are middle / upperclass towns? Hmmmm .... I guess if you are looking for the $55-$625k house and trying to keep your taxes under $11k you are out of luck.
There's a reason the taxes are so astronomical in those towns. A lot of the money goes into the schools. If you look hard enough like we did you can find "something" to buy usually but it's almost always something that needs tons of work and isn't on much property but big deal.
It is getting harder and harder to find now-a-days though but it is worth looking, especially of you don't mind working on your house. I think the cheapest house around here "right now" is $749,000 and its in good shape and needs no work.
Not much on the market in this SD "yet" though.
Wait'll the spring.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM

244 posts, read 669,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
That's NEWSDAY's list of Top 10 high schools.
Since that's the list of top High schools, anyone know where there's a list of top districts?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM

22 posts, read 90,470 times
Do you have any information about adult services for devlopmentally disabled? We're thinking of moving to LI with our 23 yr daughter, IQ 50. The social worker just gives me very general information.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:15 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Gee, at 21 , they kind of age out. You would need to find an agency that is not linked with the school districts. Try FEGS in Copaigue . THey have adult case managers.
Best of luck to you. I worked with developmentally delayed adults years ago and I know it can be hard. Skills Unlimited in Oakdale might be a possibility.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 AM

8 posts, read 41,475 times
I would look into the WestChester area. As mentioned on another thread, Tarrytown is a wonderful area to raise children and commute to the city. Only 20 min. on the metro north.
Long Island is a tough commute, however, I would suggest Nassau along the NorthShore. All the towns along the NorthShore have the best rated schools.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:03 PM

17 posts, read 93,081 times
I grew up in the East Williston School District (Wheatley is the name of the high school).
Great schools all the way through. Very competitive student body. Lots of kids going to top schools. Great opportunities for kids. Not sure about the special ed., but if that's a concern then I would maybe target a few schools and actually go visit. Make an appointment with the Guidance dep't and ask for an appointment with special ed staff, too. You have the right to do that.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,860 times
We moved to Long Island from Texas 5 years ago. I have to tell you it was certainly a change. I researched the schools before we moved. I can only share my experience with you and hope it helps. I have 3 girls who all were in elementary when we moved and now 2 are in middle school. We live in Bethpage. I love the schools here - specifically the middle school and I am excited about attending the high school. Not only do I feel that my children are receiving an education of high quality, but they love what they are learning. They are also very encouraged to improve themselves. Aside from their education, they are also very involved with sports and activities and truly a part of their community.
Best of luck to your family!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,558 times
Default Long Island School

I thought RVC has the best elementary school (Riverside) I am moving there, because of the report card. Can anyone confirm this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island