Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM

18 posts, read 99,662 times

Advertisements

My daughter attends the Lindenhurst Middle School and there was a letter sent home from school today. The letter states there is a confirmed case of the Swine Flu in the school. They also said the school is remaining open. I'm so worried and I have no idea if I should send my daughter tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM

84 posts, read 493,268 times
We just got a phone call that there is a confirmed case at Lynbrook HS too. We are also questioning whether or not to send our child to school. Apparently, the CDC is not recommending closing schools and I hate to overreact but......

Old 05-20-2009, 04:28 AM

486 posts, read 2,116,141 times
Calhoun H.S. in Merrick also has 1 confirmed case. School still open.
Everything seems fine there.

Queens seems to be getting hit pretty bad.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 AM

244 posts, read 541,230 times
I got the same letter, my daughter is in Lindy MS.

Did you notice they made mention that the health department didn't notify them for a long time, and that the student was already back in school?

If your kid was going to get it, they would already have gotten it.

Sometimes I wonder, if my daughter didn't already have it (or another flu) because she had a dry cough, headache, general malaise, etc, and got over it in 2 days.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,602 times
I was told there was a case of Swine Flu reported at E.W.Bower School in Lindenhurst. I still would like to know it that school has the flu. Any idea how I can find out?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 PM

93 posts, read 243,081 times
Learned today that there was confirmed swine flu in one of the elementary schools in the Northport/East Npt school district...Went to their website and learned it was confirmed on May 21; child now well and noninfectious. Why didn't they notify parents earlier?? And why don't they state which school it was??

Old 06-02-2009, 05:31 PM

893 posts, read 2,869,084 times
The middle school I went too a couple of years ago (Valley Stream Memorial JR High School) was actually shut down last week because 6-8 kids had the swine flu. Theres a couple of confirmed cases at my school Valley Stream Central HS. This kid who had the swine flu came back to school today, and lets just say people where a little bit scared to sit next to him.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 PM

244 posts, read 541,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
This kid who had the swine flu came back to school today, and lets just say people where a little bit scared to sit next to him.
Don't be. It's no worse than the regular flu, and unless you get the flu shot every year, you're just as susceptible, and it's just as bad (or not).

Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 PM

8,001 posts, read 9,207,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franaissance View Post
Learned today that there was confirmed swine flu in one of the elementary schools in the Northport/East Npt school district...Went to their website and learned it was confirmed on May 21; child now well and noninfectious. Why didn't they notify parents earlier?? And why don't they state which school it was??
Swine flu is so prevalent now, the ER is not testing specifically for it in milder cases anymore. Really bad cases are tested and sent to the CDC for confirmation hence the delay.

HIPPA laws prevent telling people certain information to maintain patient confidentiality. The school district is doing what they think is appropriate to be in compliance with this law.

People can shed and transmit any flu virus 1 day before even getting sick, so notification of the general public of who is ill doesn't really help too much.

Treat everyone as if he/she is contagious. Wash your hands, maintain proper personal space, don't share food or drink. Common sense practices to help reduce the risk of contracting any airborne/droplet transmissible disease.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:23 AM

28 posts, read 112,307 times
Default Plainview Old bethpage high school has about 400 absences

I just found out that there are about 400 kids absent from POB JFK High school. That's one quarter of the student population. I called the school nurse and she said most of them have type A influenza. The Superintendent has no plans to close the school which I think is outrageous. I would keep my child home except he would miss so much if he is out and he has also been out a lot over the winter with other illnesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island