Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM

384 posts, read 434,547 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
How much do you pay to get your house cleaned?
I am starting to think I am being overcharged. I pay $70 and the person spend around two hours cleaning. Is this a reasonable fee?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 03:36 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
Sounds reasonable, but it depends on how much is actually getting done and how well.

I refuse to hire anyone; some of them only use paper towels and spray cleaner - everything is motel clean. And smells like a motel too. Using H2O along with soaps/cleaning agents instead of spray cleaner takes longer (rinsing, etc.). Also, we've had a little trouble with items leaving our house. One of these "professionals" would come to our house with a shopping bag filled with rags, etc., and we figured out she was leaving with some of our things in the bag - books, pairs of gloves, etc. Real nice. So, we're done hiring out cleaning. I'd rather keep the dust around a little longer and keep my things around longer too.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Much as I would love someone to come in and clean up after me, I just wouldn't feel comfortable having a stranger coming in, snooping around my stuff, and (as Andrea said) most likely helping herself to it.

I used to work for an attorney and he had many Polish clients who were arrested for shoplifting. Coincidentally, they were all housekeepers. My take is that if you're going to steal from Macy*s, you'll steal from your employer, too.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:07 PM

486 posts, read 2,112,479 times
The price sounds pretty good. I had someone come in every other week to clean a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath colonial and I was paying $100.00. She cleaned for about 3 to 4 hours and did a great job. She actually moved things to dust!

However, she has since moved away and I haven't had someone since. But I found out that the price ranges from $60 to $70 for a few hours. I was overpaying. She was my very first cleaning lady, had her for about 3 months, loved it so much she moved away and left me. Life has not been the same since. I'm back to cleaning my own house. Rather pocket the money.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
I have an acquaintance who is so cheap she refuses to pay anyone more than $10 an hour (off the books) to clean. And when she calls someone in to clean, her place has become hellhole status so it's not just maintaining a clean, it is backbreaking work and they stay there like 5 or 6 hours! (Note: it's a small 1 BR apartment but she has it stuffed as she is a packrat.) She manages to find illegal alien types, usually from a friend of a friend. Somehow she doesn't get the same people back again. Wonder why! Could it be her incessant yapping and habit of talking people's ears off or the fact that she "helps" the housecleaner the whole time and probably gets in their way more than "helping." Or the pay. I mean lack of pay.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:24 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Hello there,
How much do you pay to get your house cleaned?
I am starting to think I am being overcharged. I pay $70 and the person spend around two hours cleaning. Is this a reasonable fee?
Thank you.
___
I have a friend from Brazil that charges 100-120 for between 3-4 hours. But you can probably do better than $35/hour if you look. Honestly, I think cleaning should not cost more than $20/hour and even that is a lot...is not like they need a degree to do it. BTW: I do my own cleaning because I am too cheap to pay.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
Depends. Is this $70 to a service, or directly to a cleaner? If it's a service, about right, because of the overhead. If you're paying cash (not trying to open a can of worms about the propriety of such, but people do), it should be much less.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
I pay $70 every two weeks (3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, and basement). She's usually there for about 3-4 hours and does a solid (nothing spectacular) job.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
$20/hr per person. I am incapable of getting my house really clean. I just had a spring cleaning done and they sent 3 people and it took four hours, so it was $240. It was 100% worth it.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
$45.00 a week for a small two bedroom condo. Very trustworthy.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island