Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM

29 posts, read 81,938 times

Advertisements

I love watching the paranormal investigator shows like "Ghost Hunters," "Paranormal State," etc. The only one I really don't like is "Most Haunted" and that is only because they are always SCREAMING like idiots. They actually have some great locations, but the investigators act too silly.

Anyway, I noticed that Paranormal State had an episode at Katie's Bar on Long Island. Has anyone been there?

There are plenty of other reputedly haunted locations on LI, like Raynham Hall in Oyster Bay, the (in)famous Amityville Horror House (maybe a hoax), Fire Island Light House, Sweet Hollow Road, Mount Misery, Montauk Manor, and the Country House Restaurant to name some.

If you had what you thought was a paranormal experience in any of the known locations OR in a non-famous place, please share your story.

I will start with mine. It is not much but here goes. I used to live in an apartment complex in East Rockaway, LI. One evening I was alone in the apartment and on the kitchen wall phone with a coworker who called to ask a question. The doorknob to the apartment entrance door (right by the kitchen) turned by itself and the door opened (it was unlocked) and then slowly shut like someone had entered the apartment. One time I was doing something at the kitchen counter and some cups started sliding around on their own. Then I felt a hand touch my side. There was also an evening where I found my cats staring at the couch as if they were looking at a person, but nobody was there. However, the room had a scent like an old person. I was talking to the neighbors across the hall one day and I mentioned these things and they said they also had similar weird things happen in their apartment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM

113 posts, read 438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Have_Your_Wallet View Post
I love watching the paranormal investigator shows like "Ghost Hunters," "Paranormal State," etc. The only one I really don't like is "Most Haunted" and that is only because they are always SCREAMING like idiots. They actually have some great locations, but the investigators act too silly.

Anyway, I noticed that Paranormal State had an episode at Katie's Bar on Long Island. Has anyone been there?

There are plenty of other reputedly haunted locations on LI, like Raynham Hall in Oyster Bay, the (in)famous Amityville Horror House (maybe a hoax), Fire Island Light House, Sweet Hollow Road, Mount Misery, Montauk Manor, and the Country House Restaurant to name some.

If you had what you thought was a paranormal experience in any of the known locations OR in a non-famous place, please share your story.

I will start with mine. It is not much but here goes. I used to live in an apartment complex in East Rockaway, LI. One evening I was alone in the apartment and on the kitchen wall phone with a coworker who called to ask a question. The doorknob to the apartment entrance door (right by the kitchen) turned by itself and the door opened (it was unlocked) and then slowly shut like someone had entered the apartment. One time I was doing something at the kitchen counter and some cups started sliding around on their own. Then I felt a hand touch my side. There was also an evening where I found my cats staring at the couch as if they were looking at a person, but nobody was there. However, the room had a scent like an old person. I was talking to the neighbors across the hall one day and I mentioned these things and they said they also had similar weird things happen in their apartment!
Forgottenli.com has a short video about Mt Misery...

Also Lioddities.com is a great place to find people who are really into this stuff - great fun!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,961,805 times
As far as I'm concerned the whole Island is haunted or should I say hypnotize. Where else could you pay 12k in taxes on a 60x100 lot

Old 03-03-2009, 09:06 PM

113 posts, read 438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
As far as I'm concerned the whole Island is haunted or should I say hypnotize. Where else could you pay 12k in taxes on a 60x100 lot
I must agree with you.....

Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,778,348 times
I'm currently reading New York State Ghosts by Pitkin. It metntions places throughout NYS, and several on LI, including private homes.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,355,408 times
I read "Ghosts of Long Island: Stories of the Paranormal" by Kerriann Flanagan Brosky. It was a really informative book and also had excellent photography of the locations. She also wrote a sequel ("Ghosts of Long Island II: More Stories of the Paranormal") which I haven't read yet.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,163,311 times
Another person and I saw "someone" get into an elevator on the third floor of the Equitable building in Bethpage (Central Ave, bordered by SOB & Parma Drive). Both or us called for him to hold the elevator which he didn't and when I bounced the door and we got in it was empty. Both of us saw a man in a brown suit get in. Weird.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 AM

106 posts, read 338,027 times
Pilgrim State Hospital buildings and grounds are really haunted.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:12 AM

20,225 posts, read 20,998,850 times
My last house was haunted. It had been in the same family since it was built in the 20's. We know of 2 people that died on the premises. My wife was friends with one of the girls who grew up in the house. Her father and grandfather died on the property.
Now, I never experienced anything that couldn't be rationally explained away, maybe because I'm the rational skeptical type, but my wife and kids experienced a boatload of stuff while living there. My wife actually witnessed what is called in the paranormal field a "full bodied apparition". She vividly described this persons features and from what we can tell it was the grandfather. Damned if I know. My wife would often take the kids and go visit her folks for weekends and such, so I spent many a night in that house all alone and never noticed anything "paranormal". My black lab would have peculiar behaviour once in a while, doing things that people describe animals as doing in a so-called haunted house, but again, I never put much stock into anything.
And you can't always take a child's word for it because ALL kids live in haunted houses! ha!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,172,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuota View Post
Pilgrim State Hospital buildings and grounds are really haunted.
My aunt previously worked there years ago.When my cousin and I would go to visit her,boy did that place creep me out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island