Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im sorry to hear that.
Any chance you rent part out?

I know its tough but Ive found my neighbors to be pretty understanding regarding hardship.

Best

Crooks
I don't have a basement or an upstairs, so that's out. The house and the rooms are small AND I have a noisy parrot that I inherited from my Nana when she passed away. Since it talks in her voice and I miss her so - it stays! So even if I found some way to carve out part to rent, I'd have to find someone deaf to rent it! I did ask a girlfriend, but she said that my pets were evil after house sitting for me one night! So that didn't work out.

I'll be doing some job hunting online today while I'm home sick. Maybe something will turn up.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Ebay got me through the winter! If it wasn't nailed down, it went on ebay.
I had my wife and kids up for auction, but ebay cancelled the auction saying it violated the terms.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im sorry...thats tough.
It shouldnt be that hard and I do understand your frustration.

I guess it all comes down to "well".

We started out with a little cottage in Rocky Point with a HHI of 65k back in 2001. Lately I have seen a few houses in the 2s with low taxes that woud run about 1500 mo (which is rent for many).I'm actually grateful for the housing bust because hopefully it will allow for some of our young people to get in the game. Rocky Point is great place to set up shop,(or downsize to ) because of its diverse housing stock, good schools and reasonable taxes.

We wound up trading up in 2005 to a nice ranch by the beach... and if things go well, we're hoping to be Waterfront by 2015, but I woudnt trade that experience for anything.

Theres no starter McMansions on LI ike youll find in NE PA. Long Island is a victim of its own success, its expensive becuse despite it all people still flock here, it is still one of the most desireable places to live in the country.Unfortunately it comes at a premium.

Im a man of modest means and I live VERY "well" in Rocky Point.

Best of luck to you.

crooks

Are you counting on the erosian on the LI beaches that is so previlant getting you waterfront? j/k

I haven't decided to leave yet, all that is keeping me here is family.

I'm just your typical materialistic youngun, I have a small house, that a sacraficed struggled and saved for. Now I want something bigger than 2brs and I don't want to struggle anymore.

Would be nice to have a few acres 4 br 2.5 baths and not need 2 incomes and work 60 hrs a week to pay for it.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
left in '02, only come back to visit family and Islanders/Mets games. I can't take the traffic, the attitudes, and the materialistic culture. I miss family and friends immensely.

If you do leave, you will never, ever lose your craving for your favorite pizza spot (Jimmy's in Greenlawn), bagel spot (Dix Hills Hot Bagels) and just certain things that we know only NYers can do (fast, reliable service, stand behind their work).

That said, I won't ever come back to live. Folks, it's a big world out there. Get out and see it sometime.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
My husband left in 1988 because it just cost too much to survive. He was tired of working his butt off and never getting anywhere. He moved to FL before it went crazy and was able to do well.

I left in 1996 and moved to North Carolina and I went through a huge culture shock. Long Island was just too expensive. I can't regret being born and raised there because there is just something about us "New Yorkers". We are loud, independent, fighters, and quicker. But I will never go back. It's just too crowded, too crazy and the prices are insane. The only thing I miss is the food. New Yorkers know how to cook and eat.

My husband and I now live in the TN mountains on our private 40 acres and we pay $112.00 per year in taxes. We have no electric bills because we built off grid. We have no water or sewer bills because we have a well and our own septic. We love our quality of life. We don't have to bust our butts anymore to "never" get ahead.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
My husband and I now live in the TN mountains on our private 40 acres and we pay $112.00 per year in taxes. We have no electric bills because we built off grid. We have no water or sewer bills because we have a well and our own septic. We love our quality of life.
I find the whole aspect of going off the grid intriguing. It's something that has been bandied about here on more than one occasion. Hubby wants to be situated in the middle of 100 acres off the grid. 40 is fine by me!

Some questions:

Does the state require you to perk test to situate your septic, and if so, do thy rate the size of the house by the perk? Should the system fail, do you need to obtain new certification?

Are you using solar? Propane? to run lights, heating hot water -- how are you heating the house?

Are you raising any of your food, and if so, what?

Your lifestyle sounds great and certainly is 180 degrees different from LI!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 AM

77 posts, read 191,217 times
This is my first ever post. I was born and raised on LI but now live in northeast PA. In fact, my entire immediate family and most of the extended family left LI in the past 10 years. As a child, I loved LI, but now, when I go back, I ask myself how could anyone live here? Endless suburbs, TRAFFIC!! and paying 400k for a fixer-upper is not my idea of paradise. The only good thing about LI are the beaches. So I traded the beaches for the mountains, have a nice house for a third of the cost on LI, and we have nature, and trees! And we're less than 2 hours from NYC. Been here 10 years and I wouldn't move back to LI for a million dollars

Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Crooks, were you not trying to move to Connecticut a while ago?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
#1...Quality of life. I don't enjoy living in Queens Jr. anymore.
#2...Ridiculous cost of living.
#3...The people. Seems almost everyone has a chip on their shoulder or a grudge.
Nearly everyone is confrontational in some way, shape, or form.
OK, not everyone, but it sure feels like everyone. I literally, and I don't think I'm exagerating too much, I literally cannot go anywhere without some kind of incident, most are minor, but it all adds up to royal p.i.t.a.
#4...all of the above squared.
I have lived from Manhattan to Holbrook and have never had this confrontational issue. To claim that you cannot go anywhere without it being an issue makes one wonder if you do not walk into these situations anticipating some sort of confrontation, and hence bring your own chip on your shoulder...when I travel the folks I mostly end up chatting up are from the northeast/ny. While there is certainly a New York attitude, those anticipating constant confrontations will usually find them...

Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
left in '02, only come back to visit family and Islanders/Mets games. I can't take the traffic, the attitudes, and the materialistic culture. I miss family and friends immensely.

If you do leave, you will never, ever lose your craving for your favorite pizza spot (Jimmy's in Greenlawn), bagel spot (Dix Hills Hot Bagels) and just certain things that we know only NYers can do (fast, reliable service, stand behind their work).

That said, I won't ever come back to live. Folks, it's a big world out there. Get out and see it sometime.
Thank you...all of us living here are only here because we are scared to venture over a bridge (we are just ignorant I suppose)...I personally thought the world was flat until the other day .

Signed,

A non-native Long Islander
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island