Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Hmmm, is #5 really a negative? No inlaws..... LOL!

Seriously, NEPA has some great people (check out the forum - it's quite lively with an interesting bunch of characters). The only reason I've sort of given up on moving there is the economy isn't so great. If you're in the medical field, it's a bit better. I've focused my job hunt on the Lancaster/Harrisburg/Hershey areas and will move where ever I get the best job.

NE PA is a one way ticket to nowhere....unless of course you got a job with Dunder Mifflin ; )

If I were you Alleycat I'd stick it out in beautiful Rocky Point.
At least you earn a decent buck here.

crooks

Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Dont be fooled crooks. People in fields such as nursing(medical), architecture, sales, engineering, etc. with degrees do quite well in NE Pa. ($65 k+). Its the blue collar jobs that they pay $12 dollars an hour, which unfortunatly 70% of the population is trying to get.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Had it been McCain who won, I was considering leaving the country in a few years if it hadn't gotten better (or if I didn't have a job, which would be very likely).

Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times
Ha. As someone who did leave the country... it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Dont be fooled crooks. People in fields such as nursing(medical), architecture, sales, engineering, etc. with degrees do quite well in NE Pa. ($65 k+). Its the blue collar jobs that they pay $12 dollars an hour, which unfortunatly 70% of the population is trying to get.

I am not fooled at all....we have friends in Scranton.
I would never live there or send my kid to school there.

If youre going to leave ...check out New England.
Its at least on par.

crooks

Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Cost of living still increasing with LIPA,National Grid and salaries aren't moving as quickly and now the equity in homes is decreasing because the market is dead.I moved from Suffolk County to the western suburbs outside of Rochester,NY in October and wow what a difference.Lots to do,schools are great,heat and electric much cheaper, and the snow that the area does get is pure powder like ivory snow and easily moved.It was actually rated the #1 metro area to raise a family. That and the house I live in now is just under 4000 sq.ft and built in 1996 and acquired for a little under 200k and the market here has not gone down 1 cent. It doesn't go up as quickly but where are you going to get a 5 bed,3bth house on long island thats not in a crap area,with crappy schools at this price?That and the foods GREAT here.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
NE PA is a one way ticket to nowhere....unless of course you got a job with Dunder Mifflin ; )

If I were you Alleycat I'd stick it out in beautiful Rocky Point.
At least you earn a decent buck here.

crooks
I don't earn a what would be a decent buck here. It's nearly impossible for a single person to own a house and live well here unless they are making a really good salary. I'm just above the 'Healthy NY' guidelines - so until I got this job I couldn't even afford health insurance. I have to keep my heat at 50 degrees because that's all I can afford. No, I can't do that for much longer.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
I don't earn a what would be a decent buck here. It's nearly impossible for a single person to own a house and live well here unless they are making a really good salary. I'm just above the 'Healthy NY' guidelines - so until I got this job I couldn't even afford health insurance. I have to keep my heat at 50 degrees because that's all I can afford. No, I can't do that for much longer.

Im sorry...thats tough.
It shouldnt be that hard and I do understand your frustration.

I guess it all comes down to "well".

We started out with a little cottage in Rocky Point with a HHI of 65k back in 2001. Lately I have seen a few houses in the 2s with low taxes that woud run about 1500 mo (which is rent for many).I'm actually grateful for the housing bust because hopefully it will allow for some of our young people to get in the game. Rocky Point is great place to set up shop,(or downsize to ) because of its diverse housing stock, good schools and reasonable taxes.

We wound up trading up in 2005 to a nice ranch by the beach... and if things go well, we're hoping to be Waterfront by 2015, but I woudnt trade that experience for anything.

Theres no starter McMansions on LI ike youll find in NE PA. Long Island is a victim of its own success, its expensive becuse despite it all people still flock here, it is still one of the most desireable places to live in the country.Unfortunately it comes at a premium.

Im a man of modest means and I live VERY "well" in Rocky Point.

Best of luck to you.

crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 02-10-2009 at 06:06 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im sorry...thats tough.
It shouldnt be that hard and I do understand your frustration.

I guess it all comes down to "well".

We started out with a little cottage in Rocky Point with a HHI of 65k back in 2001. Lately I have seen a few houses in the 2s with low taxes that woud run about 1500 mo (which is rent for many).I'm actually grateful for the housing bust because hopefully it will allow for some of our young people to get in the game. Rocky Point is great place to set up shop,(or downsize to ) because of its diverse housing stock, good schools and reasonable taxes.

We wound up trading up in 2005 to a nice ranch by the beach... and if things go well, we're hoping to be Waterfront by 2015, but I woudnt trade that experience for anything.

Theres no starter McMansions on LI ike youll find in NE PA. Long Island is a victim of its own success, its expensive becuse despite it all people still flock here, it is still one of the most desireable places to live in the country.Unfortunately it comes at a premium.

Im a man of modest means and I live VERY "well" in Rocky Point.

Best of luck to you.

crooks
I only have a small house, thankfully. When I bought it, I was married and had two incomes and we did well. Unfortunately we broke up when the market was still high and I bought him out and had to get a second mortgage. That's what's killing me. If it weren't for the second, I'd be doing much better - I'd be able to have the extra funds to put into fixing a few things in the house - starting with the driveway! Tree roots are evil! And this freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw winter isn't helping at all! It seems I toss a chunk or two in the garbage each week!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I only have a small house, thankfully. When I bought it, I was married and had two incomes and we did well. Unfortunately we broke up when the market was still high and I bought him out and had to get a second mortgage. That's what's killing me. If it weren't for the second, I'd be doing much better - I'd be able to have the extra funds to put into fixing a few things in the house - starting with the driveway! Tree roots are evil! And this freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw winter isn't helping at all! It seems I toss a chunk or two in the garbage each week!
Im sorry to hear that.
Any chance you rent part out?

I know its tough but Ive found my neighbors to be pretty understanding regarding hardship.

Best

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island