Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM

6 posts, read 66,081 times

Advertisements

Please complain to the FAA and your elected representatives if the new low altitude flights over Nassau County bother you. This will not go away by itself. This is a noise, pollution and safety problem. The FAA is trying to solve its airport congestion problem by sacrificing our health and quality of life. Let them know that they need to find a better solution.
A good place to start is to email your complaint to:
9-aea-noise@faa.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:28 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourskiesLongIsland View Post
Please complain to the FAA and your elected representatives if the new low altitude flights over Nassau County bother you. This will not go away by itself. This is a noise, pollution and safety problem. The FAA is trying to solve its airport congestion problem by sacrificing our health and quality of life. Let them know that they need to find a better solution.
A good place to start is to email your complaint to:
9-aea-noise@faa.gov
I wonder if people complained when Charles Lindbergh's plane rumbled down the grassy airstrip at Roosevelt Field en route to Paris, or when barnstormers regularly had to ditch on the Hempstead Plains. When I was real young, I spent many afternoons sitting in the tree house in my backyard with a copy of The Field Spotters Guide to Aircraft of North America and a pair of binnoculars checking off every E-2 Hawkeye out of Bethpage, the airliners out of JFK and the little Cessnas and Pipers from Republic. At least once a week, the Concord roared over my head as I waited at the school bus stop. Each summer, at Cub Scout camp in Wading River it was a thrill to see and hear the F-14 Tomcats from Calverton. Seems to me that there's a whole lot less aircraft traffic than there was at any time in Long Island aviation's storied past, and personally I think that's a bummer.

No offense, but it seems like a silly thing to complain about. Long Island's skies have had heavy traffic since long before any of us were alive.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Spent 3 years about 250 yards from the end of the runway at Hill AFB in Utah (with F-22s and A-10s...you think a 767 is loud!!!) You get used to it. They would wake up the babies from their nap on occasion. Living anywhere close to an airport will come with some noise. I miss it to be honest.

Now...that said, one of the solutions to the NYC airport issue (where traffic management challenges result in 60% of NATIONWIDE delays...thats right, 60% of all delays in the US originate at JFK/LGA and EWR) is to increase the air traffic at Islip/Macarthur. Of course you will get the local residents there who will not want the increased traffic. However...there are no more flight route options for JFK and LGA over water (due to the fact that much of the Atlantic off LI can be military airspace). The only way to add take-off and landing routes is to use the space over land.

You have to decrease the number of flights per day...and the only way that's happening is to move a whole bunch of them to Islip. The runway is more than sufficient and NY Center (air traffic routing center) is on the grounds. Its a perfect setup for air traffic growth.

Right now Southwest is the only game in town. Increasing other airlines' presence might help keep costs down through competition.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:57 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Spent 3 years about 250 yards from the end of the runway at Hill AFB in Utah (with F-22s and A-10s...you think a 767 is loud!!!) You get used to it. They would wake up the babies from their nap on occasion. Living anywhere close to an airport will come with some noise. I miss it to be honest.

Now...that said, one of the solutions to the NYC airport issue (where traffic management challenges result in 60% of NATIONWIDE delays...thats right, 60% of all delays in the US originate at JFK/LGA and EWR) is to increase the air traffic at Islip/Macarthur. Of course you will get the local residents there who will not want the increased traffic. However...there are no more flight route options for JFK and LGA over water (due to the fact that much of the Atlantic off LI can be military airspace). The only way to add take-off and landing routes is to use the space over land.

You have to decrease the number of flights per day...and the only way that's happening is to move a whole bunch of them to Islip. The runway is more than sufficient and NY Center (air traffic routing center) is on the grounds. Its a perfect setup for air traffic growth.

Right now Southwest is the only game in town. Increasing other airlines' presence might help keep costs down through competition.
Agree totally, it might even help the economy with the need for an expanded food court and other expansions.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 AM

67 posts, read 360,629 times
I grew up right off of the LIE...airplanes landing at LGA fly over my house on certain days at like 5 minute intervals.

I definitely remember when the Concord used to fly over, I would hear that boom and run out into the back to see it streak across the sky.
I wish the planes would go away though, that coupled with the corporate helicopters can get rather annoying some days.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 AM

6 posts, read 66,081 times
Default Wow

If it doesn't bother you guys that's great. We find the noise intrusive and a huge change from last year when they first began the rollout. Perhaps you don't live under the new low flight paths though. We also don't have anything against the higher altitude flights that only cause an almost pleasant rumble. Under 5000 feet, which we are experiencing now, the whine of the engines and the pollution are a different matter.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:12 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
Lived under the landing pattern of JFK for many years while in Long Beach. Like the others have said, I kinda got used to it. Perhaps it was living under the rattle of the "A" train in Rockaway for many more years that prepared me for the noise. Good luck on your quest.

BTW, Spirit Airlines started a route from Islip to Ft Lauderdale earlier in the year but it was short lived. I was hoping for a greater expansion to Islip.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default safety trumps whiners

Long Island was once the cradle of aviation, now like a baby cradle, it is the cradle of whiners. These airplanes were flying over your areas long before you were there. Lindbergh took off from Roosevelt field and the first mail run operated from Belmont Park. (http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Government_Role/1918/POL2G5.htm - broken link) Aviation has a long and storied history in Long Island and has been critical to the economy.

These planes can not just operate over water, it is not that easy, the first concern is safety and then efficiency. What if the winds are favoring runway approaches over land? Should they compromise safety and try to land with a tailwind? ATC needs to maximize the use of the airspace and utilize all runways at these airports from an efficiency and safety viewpoint. Utilizing only one approach can lead to extensive delays for arrival aircraft which leads to holding patterns and diversions when planes run out of fuel. . Is this the way we want to operate our air system? Wasting time and fuel? Appeasing the whiners and other nimbys are low priority when the safety for thousands of passengers and crew are at stake. Planes landing with a tailwind and others running low on fuel while waiting for one runway operations trump the needs of nimbys. Here a few of the many procedures used for arrival operations into JFK, maybe you can see if your house is under the arrival or approach.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 12-03-2008 at 04:11 AM..

Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
We have had a problem here in North Eastern Suffolk with helicopter noise in the Summer, however I know the economy has fixed that problem for the upcoming season.
I reported every lowflying copter I saw to Flyneighborly.org

I was leaving my office in Massapequa last week & mid-day I saw a large commercial passenger jet circling so low it looked like it was going to land in the municiple lot I was parked in.
Why are they flying so low all the way in Massapequa?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post

..and the people in that area will complain as loudly as those in Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island