Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
A video I made the other night of a low flying jet. This is NOT acceptable being miles from an airport. It's like they built an airport in the next town overnight.
It's one thing if I moved by an airport, but I didn't, so shouldn't have to deal with all this jet drone.
This video was taken in Greenvale.

YouTube - Loud low flying jets over Nassau

You're right, the planes should fly at the same height as the nearest people to the AP so it is fair all around....

Listen to yourself, the world should stop because YOU don't agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Case in point, this past Sunday, I was in Mineola, and this was with only 3x zoom.

Come to my parents house, with your own eyes, you can see the people in the windows...

Been like that since it was Idlewild AP long before JFK.

The complaining of this is silly. The planes are moving faster then they look and they just can't drop 3k feet in the last 200' before reaching the runway...
They have gotten an easy 50% quieter and seriously this really is just a ridiculous discussion.
Nothing is going to change the landing or takeoffs other then weather.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
I guess if you come from Queens it won't be bad for you. I lived in Queens for part of my life and now live in northwest Levittown. And don't tell me that Westbury is a lot worse...I'm like on the border of the town so it isn't that far. I told my husband about this thread and how people think the planes are flying low; then I asked him if he thinks they're too low and loud (he grew up in West Islip, so it wasn't that bad there). He laughed and said no way. It's probably because he teaches in Flushing and the runway is right there. He has to stop teaching when planes land. So he's used to it.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 AM

964 posts, read 2,463,342 times
We were blasted in Garden City this past weekend. Rows of planes for hours on Fri night, Sat. morning and afternoon, and Sunday. They must have started the track work on Runway 13-31 because the 22L approach was being used a ton.

Just keep fighting and writing your elected officials.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
We were blasted in Garden City this past weekend. Rows of planes for hours on Fri night, Sat. morning and afternoon, and Sunday. They must have started the track work on Runway 13-31 because the 22L approach was being used a ton.

Just keep fighting and writing your elected officials.
Yeah during the week we were getting hit hard in Westbury, but I saw some really low flying planes in Greenvale yesterday. There were storms around too. I took a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOk2PZXyn7w

I sure hope there wasn't any wind shear. But you could see them struggling in the heavy crosswind.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM

68 posts, read 100,713 times
I live about 15 min. from MacArthur. The planes very frequently come over my house. I love it. I got my son into it... Nothing is more priceless than when my son says, "Mommy when I get big, I want to go into outer space"..............

We have a friend that lives about 5 minutes from MacArthur. We were at their house on July 4th. There were only about 4 or 5 planes that came over all day. Even lower than at my own house. It was even cooler.

I think maybe you are hearing them more, because you are thinking about them more. Kind of like when you get a new car, all of a sudden you see the same type of car all over the place.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,342 times
FallenAnjel......um, sorry you are wrong.

Planes are flying over every 2 and half minutes for hours. Let's take a Friday night for example when most flights from Europe are coming in. The people of Westbury, GC Park, GC, and Franklin Square will get planes from about 5pm to midnight. That's an average of 24 planes an hour...or approximately 168 planes in one night.

Please tell me that is acceptable when you are anywhere from 8-12 miles from JFK.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:35 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
OK, I am kinda used to the planes after living here for 12 years. BUt this morning at 5 a.m. a plane went over my house and I swear I thought it was going to land on the 17th hole at GCCC. I was actually dreaming that was happening when it woke me up - over the noise of my AC AND a white noise machine.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
OK, I am kinda used to the planes after living here for 12 years. BUt this morning at 5 a.m. a plane went over my house and I swear I thought it was going to land on the 17th hole at GCCC. I was actually dreaming that was happening when it woke me up - over the noise of my AC AND a white noise machine.
I feel bad for you folks in Garden City since you get it all the time. Some days its just one plane after another over Westbury, but other days they are flying to our north over Old Westbury, Greenvale, and Roslyn, which was the case earlier today. But they dont alternate paths much, so once the path is chosen for the day it pretty much stays that way.
I will dont understand why they have to fly so low, these 2000ft or less altitudes are ridiculous, its like the plane is landing in the next town.
4000ft or so would be much more appropriate, they can start descending every 500ft per mile west of GC, so they shouldn't be any lower than 3500ft over Garden City.
This and spreading out the burden makes the most sense. However I still think using the 22 runway but approaching from the SW to NE, instead of NE to SW, makes the most sense.
JFK has the fortunate location of being right on the ocean, yet they route almost all flights over land.
LGA and EWR dont have much of a choice, and it'd make more sense to have LGA traffic over Nassau than JFK.
As far as Islip-Macarthur goes, I've been at Ronkonkoma LIRR plenty and I'll see one plane if I'm lucky. There's no comparison between ISP and JFK, JFK lines up plane after plane for hours on end.
And the wind excuse is moot, they approached from Nassau all day today despite NW winds.
Yes the runway 22 "Belmont" routing is nothing new, but what has changed is the path further south over Westbury, Mineola, GC,etc, the altitude is lower, and the air traffic has increased. The FAA and our politicians fail to listen to us. Its too bad Tom Suozzi cant get involved, since the press loves to hear anything he has to say.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They are getting lower, its not your imagination. I can read the airline names on most of the planes when they pass over Westbury with my naked eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island