Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 03:15 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
...but does anyone else remember Slot Car Racing?

I had the coolest little GTO with about five coats of blue metalflake paint, and white pinstripes (done with a toothpick). Spun it out on every third curve, guaranteed...
I loved slot car racing. We used to use sand paper to make them go faster!

I had a real '68 GTO for a while. It was Maroon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 04:34 PM

13 posts, read 86,579 times
I think the old Howard Johnson's near Macarthur is now the Aiport Diner, which opened in the early 90's.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:31 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default How about?

The Ground Round restaurant ? That was the only place i can remember where you could eat and throw food on the floor! They served whole peanuts before & with meals, shell and all, they would just say toss the shells on the floor.

Or Hambuger Choo Choo ( which i started a thread on before finding this thread)

Anybody remember Lindbergh park in Huntington also known as High Point? It was a ski hill, off of Jericho on Dix hills rd, now condos are there. Two children were killed in an accident in the 70's that is why i heard they closed the place. Also heard some crazy ghost stories, that i wont go into unless asked.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
I remember High Point. I didn't know about the accident though. What about Jayne's Hill in Huntington...supposedly the highest point on LI.

BTW, there are still Ground Rounds around and I believe you can still throw the peanut shells on the floor.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times
was the bar in Farmingdale Fulton Street, i remember Friendly Frost what about crazy Eddies! Newmark and Lewis! REmember when the circus used to come to the LI Arena? There used to be a ski area at Bald Hill in Farmingville i think. Times Square Stores and like i mentioned before Billy Blakes and Modells!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:28 PM

Default High Point -- Ski park

Hi!

Nice to hear someone remembers High Point. I went there to sleigh ride and journey thru the woods! I'm 37 now, and i grew up most of my life in Huntington, I lived 2 streets from high point, so on the snow days when school was closed my friends and myself would grab our sleds and head to high point for hours!

Fun times, i'm to young to clearly remember the accident, but from speaking with older friends i believe 2 kids were killed sleigh riding on the very steep hill, the park was closed for good and the town tried its best to stop kids from sleigh riding there.

I'm now living in Nevada i didnt even know the ground round was still around.

Are you still in Huntington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
I remember High Point. I didn't know about the accident though. What about Jayne's Hill in Huntington...supposedly the highest point on LI.

BTW, there are still Ground Rounds around and I believe you can still throw the peanut shells on the floor.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:18 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times
Default Modells

Actually, Modells is still around but not in exactly the same form as when we were kids. Back then, it was more of a Korvettes/Target kind of place (though smaller, of course); nowadays, Modells sells only sporting goods.

Speaking of nightspots, anyone else remember The Tiger's Tail or Danny's Hideaway? The Hideaway was on Route 106, just south of Hempstead Turnpike. Not sure if that's considered Farmingdale or South Farmingdale.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 AM

Default thought of another place!

Not sure if this was already mentioned- anybody remember " Beefsteak Charlies" Restaurant? the only one i knew of was in Huntington, 1970's maybe early 80's.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,919 times
Free beer, wine, or sangria with your meal.

Anyone remember 2002, the roller skating rink in the Bohemia area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Not sure if this was already mentioned- anybody remember " Beefsteak Charlies" Restaurant? the only one i knew of was in Huntington, 1970's maybe early 80's.

Last edited by Check123; 02-19-2007 at 07:25 AM..

Old 02-19-2007, 07:20 AM

40 posts, read 207,794 times
Growing up in Patchogue in the 50's and 60's, we had Grants, (which is now the public library), Woolworths, (which is now a dollar store) the Rialto (which only cost 25 cents for two matinees), Mayers Barbershop (where kindly old Mr Mayer stood cutting hair for years), Ehmers Pork Store (which is still there), the A&P, Holzers, Tobey's, Pops Deli (where I would run with my pennies to buy a jaw breaker, or one of the other penny candies), Ricky's, the first hamburger joint (where Burgers were 15 cents, and a shake was 25 cents), Floyd Bennetts, the Old Roller Skating Rink, Swezeys. The Old Lace Mill my Grandmother had worked in, and that we would fish for sunnies behind, Bay Avenue School (with it's 12' ceilings, and rickety old fire escapes). The beautiful Mt. Carmel Church, (which they tore down). Mr Fiala (who would hitch up a bunch of small donkeys, and pull a cart around). Nancy's Restaurant that made the most delicious pizza. The Oasis Bar where all the locals went for a brewski after work.

Patchogue had parades that would have hundreds of WWII vets, the amphibious Duck landing craft, and massive tanks chopping up Main St. with their steel treads.

Everyone, knew everyone!

Now....well....they may as well rename Patchogue....Patchocali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island