Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,558 times

Advertisements

I am a Loan Officer and I work from home and I have lived on Long Island all of my life and swore I would not move. When I came to visit NC and saw what I could get for my money and it was unbelievable. I am in Waxhaw which is on the outter area of Charlotte and I love it. Reports are showing over 1200 people a week are moving to Charlotte. If you need a great realtor in NC let me know mine was grrrreat! And if you need a grrrreat Lo for any state shoot me an e-mail. I find that its not where you live its how you live, if you do nothing in the area you are now chances are you will do nothing no matter where you are. I have met plenty of people and it is great alot of my clients and now friends have come to visit and they love it. The Key elements: I was raised in the Hamptons but when I reached the age of being able to purchase I was unable to afford the Hamptoms, now that the areas are being established I have the chance of a lifetime, this to me will be a great investment. Like any Realtor will tell you location location location....Have a great day to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 04:55 PM

480 posts, read 2,832,153 times
I have no interest in earning 50% less. I'm staying in NY.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:49 PM

265 posts, read 1,550,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaylajoy3 View Post
Reports are showing over 1200 people a week are moving to Charlotte.
If that is indeed true (which I very much doubt) then it's a recipe for disaster. Very few locales can absorb that kind of influx (remember what happened in the areas receiving thousands of Katrina refugees? Infrastructure and local economies were severely overstressed, and I don't mean only Social Services). For instance, all those new-people's kids will be going to the public schools, which means class sizes will increase. The parents won't like that at all, so new schools will have to be built, which means property taxes will go up. Wait, isn't that one of the things that the Northerners went south to get away from???

And I don't doubt there's the usual complement of greedy SOBs who will see their chance to make easy money by jacking up prices on everything from foodstuffs (after all, those "rich Yankee" newbies are already accustomed to paying $7 for a cup of designer coffee, right?) to real estate to per-hour charges by tradespeople. Supply and demand, people, supply and demand.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,558 times
Again, I have only exp. good things I am a very positive person. And if someone chares $7 for a cup of coffee don't buy it, life is full of choices go to the store and make it at home. And to be honest I feel like I never left NY being the majority are from NY and NJ in my sub-division. And again it is an oppinion not telling anyone to move out of NY. I say be where you are happy and what works for one might not work for another.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:32 PM

150 posts, read 800,328 times
Manhattan-ite, I hear ya loud and clear! As an ex-NY-city person, I understand why you love where you are and wouldn't consider a move.

I also understand LI'rs fleeing the high costs associated with living there. Let's face it, w/o kids in school or a job anchoring you to the area, you have to weigh the benefits of paying the highest taxes and utility bills in the country against a less-expensive area. If someone finds themselves in the middle of several acres in Missouri, the home of Harry S Truman, the 'Show Me State', enjoying the solitude of their ponds, crickets and low taxes, then good for them. (Never been there, btw).

We moved from NY, where I grew up, to SoCal five years ago and now live as retirees in Ashland, Oregon. Ashland is lovely, but I'd have stayed in SoCal if it weren't so expensive. The problem is that everyone wants to live there and everyone does. There are wonderful things about it but too many negatives to justify paying the costs. Same with NYC.

NYC is awesome and I miss it. I don't miss the hassle and aggravation of living there but make sure to visit my family every year. (Must get my Met fix). Enjoy your life there but have some respect in your heart for those who want to spread out a bit.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,391,086 times
Wow you've got quite the attitude for a person who has lived in this country for ONLY three years. I've lived outside of this country for longer than three years and visited over a dozen countries in Asia, and yet I don't think I've ever been as uppity as you are in attacking the local people.

If you don't like America for what it is, then leave. It is as simple as that. Your haughty attitude and bad manners seems to imply that you are just a typical example of Euro-trash in NYC. Don't worry though, as you've got lots of company in Manhattan, especially below 96th street.

And your inferences about my own history are way out of line. I am proudly part Native American. Parts of my family have lived in this area for thousands of years. If you've got a problem with that then I suggest that you take it up with your local tribal council.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Mead,

Your ignorance, personal issues and xenophobia come to the surface once again.

I am talking New York City as a whole, not "96th street". I have visited 3/4 of the 50 states of the Union in my three years in America. I travel abroad often (Europe, Africa). Are you talking to me?

I'd rather take the 7 train, hear no English and admire the skyline than living in Trailer Park, Missouri, surrounded by chickens, Confederate flags and dirtiness.

But your intolerance and hostility show that you would fit right in with your all-white, English-only Bubba brothers.

Make the move and leave us alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island