Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:49 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,486 times

Advertisements

I see an accountant in your future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 AM

40 posts, read 207,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
In Missouri, real residential property is assessed at 19% of its fair market value. If you’re paying $390 then the assessed value of house and land is $2,052.63. That is highly unlikely.

I've been checking out Tennessee, (too bad, they don't much like us NYers) and as I understand it, they tax property based on an average of around $2.50 (depending on the County) per $100, of 25%, of assessed value. So an older home with acreage, currently valued at $350K could have been assessed way back, at say $80K, (or even less for some of those older homes that were built around the day of the flood).

Doing the math, my example would be taxed at 25% of 80K, divided by $100 X $2.5, which comes out to $500.

That said, we get two separate tax bills for our Upstate NY property. One for the County Tax, and one for the School Tax. So our Missourian friend may find themselves with another bill for school taxes, which I doubt would be too considerable, in itself.

So I can easily believe that Missouri could have low taxes, too. It just seems incomprehensible to us LIers, because we pay out the nose for taxes on our homes...and for that matter, everything else.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 AM

217 posts, read 961,701 times
Default Plain and simple!

Where are long islander's moving to? For the most part the people moving out of long island are: 1. People looking to retire to a slower pace of life. 2. Families that have children and are not financially strong enough to stay here. 3. Baby Boomers (largest segment of U.S. population, ages 50-60) who no longer want a large home with upkeep and costs, the kids have moved out. 4. Young Professionals & college (baby boomers kids 18-30) want social life and jobs in city or move away for college. For every person leaving someone else moves in- especially people who lived in NYC did well and want Long Island as a place to raise their family. LI has a stable population and some stay put and like where their at which is probably 70% of LI.

Where are they going? Some popular places have been:

1. Retirees: Coastal & South Florida, South & North Carolina.
2. Young Families: try Charlotte & Raleigh, NC, Hudson Valley-NY, CT in hopes of it being more affordable.
3. Baby Boomers: Eastern LI, Conn, Manhattan, coastal FL, SC, RI & Maine
4. Young professionals: New York City, Hoboken, NJ, Boston, DC, Miami.

Never follow, always lead..... the best said

Last edited by gmagg; 02-03-2007 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-03-2007, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 18,374 times
There is NO seperate school tax bill. (Remember though that school districts are very different in small towns--they do not tax the same as in NY)
Yes, I laughed when I heard what I'd be paying here. I lived in New York City and Suffolk County my entire life, and KNOW the difference. My friends cannot believe it either. I have no reason to lie...I just found a good thing! (The only item not included here on our tax bill is trash pick up--which averages $20 per month if you chose to pay for it) I have always had an accountant, and we're well aware of the tax situation.
By the way, I still fly my New York Yankee flag proudly over my Missouri farm.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:53 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,877 times
Low taxes are nice, as we in Manhattan pay the highest in the nation.

But gimme a break. I would never move to a place just because it has low taxes. I much prefer to pay lots of taxes and enjoy the capital of the world than living in redneck land.

No entertainment, no shops, no delis, no museums, no skyscrapers, nothing in walking distance. What is to do? Huntin' n' fishin'? Ouch.

No offense, though. If your husband works in Branson, then is convenient.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 75,346 times
We are looking into North Carolina.

The houses are way to expensive and it's becomming way over crowded.

North Carolina is cheaper and it seems more our style.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,486 times
Manhattan-ite, you are correct. People often equate value with quality of life. There's a huge difference.

I used to live and work in the middle of nowhere; the east end of Long Island. It has great scenery, but after a month I was bored to tears. I now live in Queens, and couldnt be happier.

When I'm on the 7 train and we turn the curve toward Manhattan, I see that skyline; that alone is worth the added cost of living in NYC.

Last edited by Check123; 02-03-2007 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-03-2007, 12:09 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Wow, your whole "below 96th street" attitude is really coming out today. I think you need to get out of Manhattan more often. Manhattan is not the be all and end all, so get a grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
I much prefer to pay lots of taxes and enjoy the capital of the world than living in redneck land.

No entertainment, no shops, no delis, no museums, no skyscrapers, nothing in walking distance. What is to do? Huntin' n' fishin'? Ouch.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
BTW, when you're riding that 7 train, does anyone else around you speak English, or is it just you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
When I'm on the 7 train and we turn the curve toward Manhattan, I see that skyline; that alone is worth the added cost of living in NYC.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:35 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
You want to move to Henderson, Nevada for real?

Is Long Island so bad that people are moving to a nondescript subdivision in the desert?
Oh, come now.

Yes, it is that bad. I'm preparing to move to a pretty rough neighborhood in the Bronx to get away from it - Nassau county is the worst place I've ever lived.

But the desert in Nevada has its joys. The light, air, and space lift the spirit. Even if you're in a subdivision, you're a short drive away from some of the most exalted country on earth.

On LI, you a short drive away from...another subdivision. And another. And another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island