Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,164 times

Advertisements

Tom, and those others of you who had advice about going to the Clerk of Courts and looking for "Lis Pendin" -- Thank you so much!! Now, do you have any idea my rights as a renter in a foreclosed home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,217,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyLynn View Post
Tom, and those others of you who had advice about going to the Clerk of Courts and looking for "Lis Pendin" -- Thank you so much!! Now, do you have any idea my rights as a renter in a foreclosed home?
Foreclosures are handled differently in each State. In NY, a foreclosure can easily take 18-24 months from date of filing the lis pendens to date of auction on the steps of the local court house (I know of cases that have gone longer than 3 years!). In other States it can be 90 days... Also tenant/landlord rights vary from State to State.

You can go to nolo.com and get an overview; here's a link:

Renters' Rights & Tenants' Rights – Free Law Resources – Nolo

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,432 times
I am renting a house i just found outh was up for foreclosure and would like to see how i can go about trying to talkto the bank or lender about possible getting the house myself can anyone tell me how to do that

Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINGLEMOMOF3IN2008 View Post
I am renting a house i just found outh was up for foreclosure and would like to see how i can go about trying to talkto the bank or lender about possible getting the house myself can anyone tell me how to do that
You can start by making an offer to the homeowner which might make it a short sale.
Until the bank owns it (and the house has actually "foreclosed"), your landlord is still the official owner and can sell the house to you or anyone else. For how much depends on a number of things.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,348 times
OK, I have a question. Rented an apartment that a friend of a friend knew of. Only saw owner once in 4 years when we met in a diner to give him the money. Was shown apartment by other tenant in house who said that LL inherited house that 2 generations had occupied. (M/D ?) He has never done any repairs or renovations in all these years I am here. Now, I hear there are property taxes not paid for many years (going back to before I came) and there are liens and foreclosure. I also have been told that the Town has been called a number of times regarding the state of the JUNK accumulated surrounding the premises.

I have never missed, or been late with, the rent and I have been advised to not pay any longer and to look for new housing, which I have done for the last 3 months. I am in the process of getting a home, for which I have very little control over the timeliness of said process. The LL has never contacted me at all in this time in any fashion whatsoever. Now, his "friend" comments to me (as he is unloading more curbside JUNK into the driveway) that the LL wants me to get in touch with him.

While I so wanted to move before now, this foreclosure, etc. is the very push I need to do so. I am so looking forward to completing the home search that I have started, I am worried that this LL and/or his "buddy" will try to evict me and/or harass me before I can start my life somewhere else of my own choosing.

Please advise.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 PM

What exactly is your question?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:56 AM

7 posts, read 13,288 times
Talk to a local real estate agent. Because many homes in foreclosure are financed by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Developed or the HUD through the Federal Housing Administration, an agent certified in these areas can help you find out if a particular property is in foreclosure.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,781,184 times
The landlord is probably been looking to get in touch with you because you have not paid the rent in three months. A home being in foreclosure does not relieve the tenant of the obligation to pay rent. If you have not been paying he has every right to evict you if he so chooses.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 AM

863 posts, read 2,111,592 times
Default forclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
The landlord is probably been looking to get in touch with you because you have not paid the rent in three months. A home being in foreclosure does not relieve the tenant of the obligation to pay rent. If you have not been paying he has every right to evict you if he so chooses.
Not true Tom. In NY State you are not required to pay the landlord if the home is in foreclosure. Do not spend the money keep it in an account that way if you're taken to court you can show the judge you did act in good faith in keeping his money but was never made aware of what's going on and received notices from the bank.

The reason why you can hold your rent is because too many people were paying these bums land lords and they never paid the bank or the taxes and the people renting got hosed. You do not have to pay him and the last thing he wants’ to do is take you to court. It’s the say way you can force a landlord to make repairs. The key is not to spend the money so if taken to court you can show that you only withhold payment as a last possible option.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:57 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,554,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Not true Tom. In NY State you are not required to pay the landlord if the home is in foreclosure. Do not spend the money keep it in an account that way if you're taken to court you can show the judge you did act in good faith in keeping his money but was never made aware of what's going on and received notices from the bank.

The reason why you can hold your rent is because too many people were paying these bums land lords and they never paid the bank or the taxes and the people renting got hosed. You do not have to pay him and the last thing he wants’ to do is take you to court. It’s the say way you can force a landlord to make repairs. The key is not to spend the money so if taken to court you can show that you only withhold payment as a last possible option.
Before you go bashing these landlords, recognize there are a bunch of deliquent tenants. In NYC, the tenats get a break coz NYC is tenant freidnly state. It is actually the worst state to be a landlord because of the BS. Tenants who don;t pay rent are almost impossible to evict. The process is long and tedious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island