Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 AM

85 posts, read 395,500 times

Advertisements

I am sick of Jones Beach and I am looking for a new spot. Not that Jones Beach is bad, I just can't take the crazyness with all the people and the walking and everything else. We are a small family of 3, me my wife and our 4 yr old son who does like the water and sand. Is there anyplace else to go that is a bit more quite and relaxed yet has decent water to play in and at least some sand for my son? We live on the queens/nassau boarder. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:13 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
I always found Robert Mose more 'tame' than Jones Beach....but I have not been to both in a while.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
Nassau Beach (Nickerson Park) in Lido. Much quieter. Be careful of riptides, though.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,030 times
Smith Pt. park is beautiful. It's $10 to park ($5 with the green key card). Its a bit of a walk from the parking lot to hte beach...but wotrh every step. There is also a nice memorial for FLT 800.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:00 PM

keep in mind the OP is at the city line... Smith Point is quite a trip.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 196,285 times
The PP mentioned Nickerson Park which is nice. I love Lido beach...a tad more west than Nickerson Park. The entrance has a light and there are 2 brick columns at the opening Another landmark is the Lido/Pt Lookout firehouse across from the opening to the beach. Upon entering you can either park to the right so you have to walk through the food and bathroom facility to the beach or you can go left and take a very short boardwalk to the beach. If you are not a Hempstead town resident, it costs a bit more but the beach is beautiful. Be sure to get there by 10 if you want hassle free and a great spot on the sand.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 PM

My grandmother lives in Lido, but I can't remember which spots have lifeguards. I like Nickerson because it has a playground and facilities.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times
There's always field 5 of Robert Moses and the National Seashore by the light house. Always found those nice and fairly quiet.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
I agree about Jones Beach. I went there on Sunday. It was hard to find one spot of the beach that wasn't jam packed with people. I was there to take some photos of the waves caused by Hurricane Bertha, and it was hard to find anywhere people wouldn't get in the way, even at the beach near the west end of the boardwalk. Perhaps the only area that isn't packed is the west end fields that are beyond the boardwalk.
I prefer Robert Moses, especially Field 5 by the lighthouse. Fire Island has some of the nicest, cleanest beaches on Long Island.
They also have beautiful beaches at Ponquogue. One of the most serene beaches isn't easily accessible, it's Napeague beach south of route 27 in Napeague.
I aint a fan of the beaches in Nassau that much, because just like the county, it is too crowded. Try the west end of Jones Beach though, people tend to stay away because of the lack of concessions there.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
keep in mind the OP is at the city line... Smith Point is quite a trip.
Exit 68 on the LIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
There's always field 5 of Robert Moses and the National Seashore by the light house. Always found those nice and fairly quiet.
Its quiet there. And you can walk to Kismet for lunch or dinner.(Fire Island)
But on the way the beach turns into a nudy beach! I can remember my parents bringing us there when I was 10.(They didn't know) I was in amazement!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island