Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:22 AM

20,966 posts, read 28,494,994 times

Advertisements

I received a text today from my Mother in laws neighbor that a town of Islip truck drove past her and my Mother in laws house and ripped out the fiber cable. BTW the truck kept on going and did not stop. The neighbor has no internet. A piece of my mother in laws house was also ripped off. Another neighbor called town of Islip because she witnessed the incident and I was given a name and number to call or email. My husband has spoke to someone and was referred to the towns Attorney's office who he also spoke with. Not sure what will come of this but Town of Islip needs to be held accountable for what happened. My husbands brother is going over there soon and I was told a town ranger is supposed to come over to assess what happened. We were told we needed to get a CC report as well. Has this happened to anyone else? BTW this is West Islip where it happened.

Last edited by lubby; Today at 12:10 PM..

Old Today, 11:23 AM

20,163 posts, read 20,945,478 times
Don’t worry. It’ll get fixed.
In a few years.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

22,692 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Report it to her homeowner's ASAP and let THEM deal with it as subrogation. OTherwise this will become your full time job and their are time limits for and specific ways the claim needs to be filed. Do not delay - get this to her insurer ASAP so they can do this.

Also - don't be surprised if they claim government immunity. The most she might get back is her homeowner's deductible. But again the claim needs to be filed PROPERLY and TIMELY.

Old Today, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Report it to her homeowner's ASAP and let THEM deal with it as subrogation. OTherwise this will become your full time job and their are time limits for and specific ways the claim needs to be filed. Do not delay - get this to her insurer ASAP so they can do this.

Also - don't be surprised if they claim government immunity. The most she might get back is her homeowner's deductible. But again the claim needs to be filed PROPERLY and TIMELY.
Sent you a DM

Old Today, 11:47 AM

I am not too worried it's not a very big piece that came off. It's a piece of thin wood with some wires attached and it fell on the grass.

Old Today, 11:48 AM

1,485 posts, read 770,994 times
Were the wires low? It’s Verizon’s fault for not maintaining it. Truck probably didn’t even realize it honestly. How are the electrical wires ? In the mast damage ? Piece of house as in a little siding or what.

I wouldn’t touch homeowners for this.

If it’s really not bad reattached the “piece of house “ and Verizon should reinstall the wire. If the mast is damage your paying electrician thousands then need town to reimburse most likely.

This isn’t the first time a town truck drove down your block most likely. The wire had to get lower with time I would think.

Also is only your wire damaged ? What about neighbors ? How did the truck damage yours only and not your neighbors wires? I assume cause yours were lower honestly.

Old Today, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Were the wires low? It’s Verizon’s fault for not maintaining it. Truck probably didn’t even realize it honestly. How are the electrical wires ? In the mast damage ? Piece of house as in a little siding or what.

If it’s really not bad reattached the “piece of house “ and Verizon should reinstall the wire. If the mast is damage your paying electrician thousands then need town to reimburse most likely.

This isn’t the first time a town truck drove down your block most likely. The wire had to get lower with time I would think.
You will never prove the wires were hanging "too low". ANd it would be up to the town to prove that to shift liability. And since they drove away they can't say that unless they have a dashcam. Even then "I saw they were too low and I proceeded anyway". okey dokey. good luck with that.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post

Also is only your wire damaged ? What about neighbors ? How did the truck damage yours only and not your neighbors wires? I assume cause yours were lower honestly.
If you read my post the neighbor next door's wires were ripped out too. I didn't call the Town another neighbor that I don't know did and told them what had Happened. I was given the number by the neighbor I do know and I emailed the girl to call my husband. It happened on my MIL block so i have no idea if the wires were low or not.

Old Today, 12:25 PM

1,485 posts, read 770,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You will never prove the wires were hanging "too low". ANd it would be up to the town to prove that to shift liability. And since they drove away they can't say that unless they have a dashcam. Even then "I saw they were too low and I proceeded anyway". okey dokey. good luck with that.
Town has to say truck was x height. Trucks don’t grow taller. If truck is x feet and it to it down wires were at least x low. It’s very easy this isn’t some crazy calculation lol.. If the truck driver saw the wire low and still drove then yes.

We are assuming the truck driver knew he took it down to many assumptions.

Old Today, 12:40 PM

Yes I'd like to know how it happened.

A truck pulled down one of those over sign gantries in Raleigh last week. Signs came crashing down on the highway....luckily no cars were damaged or anyone hurt.

But how did THAT happen? What kind of truck was this?

Answer - dump truck driving with its bed raised smh.

There's cameras everywhere now. Hopefully MIL's neighbors have cameras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island