Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 10:52 AM

35,111 posts, read 17,063,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Why are all the protesters covering their faces with masks and scarves?
Covid is over.
What are they ashamed of?
Their stupidity and ignorance. Or maybe they are expecting to commit crimes, such as attacking counter-demonstrators.

What I cannot understand is what is the attraction of Palestinian or Gazan methods of living or government for liberals or progressives. Israel is in all respects a lot more like them. Israel is not perfect and the Liberals and Progressives have always covered for some reason common preferred horrible totalitarian countries for imperfect alternatives. While I think antisemitism inflames the issue, back in the early 80s progresses preferred the Sandinistas to the Somoza alternatives. Ditto El Salvador.

Unfortunately, Iran is a tragic example of this. The Shah was hardly perfect but the alternatives since then have been far worse, especially for the world. Cambodia is another tragic alternative, but in that case mostly for their own people rather than the world. "Democratic Kampuchea" was a charnel house, a horror of deliberately inflicted famine. In China, the Kuomintang were hardly anyone's example of perfection. They were corrupt and oppressive. Mao cause millions to die with the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution, which killed millions through famines and deliberate slaughter. If interested, read, No Wall Too High: One Man's Daring Escape from Mao's Darkest Prison by Xu Hongci, Erling Hoh. One of the best books that I've read, it details the author's harrowing but successful escape from a Maoist reeducation camp.

We have seen this before. Why are they not protesting Iran's treatment of dissidents and gays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 01:14 PM

5,061 posts, read 3,962,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Their stupidity and ignorance. Or maybe they are expecting to commit crimes, such as attacking counter-demonstrators.

What I cannot understand is what is the attraction of Palestinian or Gazan methods of living or government for liberals or progressives. Israel is in all respects a lot more like them. Israel is not perfect and the Liberals and Progressives have always covered for some reason common preferred horrible totalitarian countries for imperfect alternatives. While I think antisemitism inflames the issue, back in the early 80s progresses preferred the Sandinistas to the Somoza alternatives. Ditto El Salvador.

Unfortunately, Iran is a tragic example of this. The Shah was hardly perfect but the alternatives since then have been far worse, especially for the world. Cambodia is another tragic alternative, but in that case mostly for their own people rather than the world. "Democratic Kampuchea" was a charnel house, a horror of deliberately inflicted famine. In China, the Kuomintang were hardly anyone's example of perfection. They were corrupt and oppressive. Mao cause millions to die with the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution, which killed millions through famines and deliberate slaughter. If interested, read, No Wall Too High: One Man's Daring Escape from Mao's Darkest Prison by Xu Hongci, Erling Hoh. One of the best books that I've read, it details the author's harrowing but successful escape from a Maoist reeducation camp.

We have seen this before. Why are they not protesting Iran's treatment of dissidents and gays?
It is really rather simple. To the uber left, Israel is the western and white colonial oppressor and Palestinians are the weaker and darker-hued victims. And now that the uber left controls the left at the universities the Jews are somewhat surprised their former DEI/CRT/Intersectional allies have viciously turned on them.

(Iran, btw, is not seen as a colonial oppressor so Iran’s treatment of gays is essentially ignored.)

Old 04-24-2024, 07:43 AM

5,835 posts, read 2,958,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
It is really rather simple. To the uber left, Israel is the western and white colonial oppressor and Palestinians are the weaker and darker-hued victims. And now that the uber left controls the left at the universities the Jews are somewhat surprised their former DEI/CRT/Intersectional allies have viciously turned on them.

(Iran, btw, is not seen as a colonial oppressor so Iran’s treatment of gays is essentially ignored.)
This is spot on. It is mildly satisfying watching a dog bite its own tail.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:14 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,091,329 times
300? There is more people going to Westbury Costco in 15 min fighting for a parking space.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
300? There is more people going to Westbury Costco in 15 min fighting for a parking space.
Not even Total wine could get me to that parking lot.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:56 PM

2,606 posts, read 3,405,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Not even Total wine could get me to that parking lot.
That's nothing. Have you tried navigating through the Green Acres mall parking lot on the weekends? How people don't get shot there more often baffles me.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
That's nothing. Have you tried navigating through the Green Acres mall parking lot on the weekends? How people don't get shot there more often baffles me.
Never been there and don’t plan to. Roosevelt field is close enough and we hardly ever go there, there is no need. Unfortunately Naya opened up its location there in food court and I love their wraps, but it’s an easy in and out ordeal for me. Also one Naya next to my job in midtown so the need to visit the mall is very small.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:23 AM

57,338 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
When people start protesting about the policies of this country that affect our citizens maybe I’ll care. Otherwise they can all get bent
We are providing military support to Israel, that is our policy.

Glad to see peaceful protests.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter

Quote:
This is spot on. It is mildly satisfying watching a dog bite its own tail.
Yes. And this also explains why the Pro Palestinian/Anti-Israel protestors keep forgetting to protest/condemn Hamas.

(Hamas is not seen as a colonial oppressor so their incredible abuse of fellow Palestinians is essentially ignored. Hamas ranks well above Jews in the current protestor hierarchy.)

Old 04-25-2024, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We are providing military support to Israel, that is our policy.

Glad to see peaceful protests.
Not sure harassment and intimidation of Jews and shouting of antisemitic slogans fits everyone's definition of peaceful.

I remember when the BLM riots/looting/arson were classified as 'mostly peaceful' by the friendly networks. And, by certain definitions, they were. (Most of the time nobody was killed or assaulted.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island